Next step in training? (seeking advice from veteran flyers)

tdyrsmid

I've been flying the F18 for a few weeks now and can land on the carrier, drop bombs, fire missiles, etc....but I still feel wholly unqualified to fly a mission because I don't really understand all the instructions.

I'd love to hear some advice the more experienced pilots here in the forum.

Thanks!

My biggest improvement in flying came from flying with other people who know what they are doing. There are plenty of online squadrons around, and a lot of them are willing to take relative newbies onboard and teach them how to fly and fight properly.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

If you think you have a good understanding of the fundamentals down, it's time to start learning strategy/tactics and get better at situational awareness.

Multiplayer really makes (Forces you) to get a lot better at this.:D

Try the campaign missions for the F/A-18 (You can play these separately too) These are good small missions to test your skill and situational awareness (SA) out.

Remember to let your wingman loose. (Do mission and Rejoin) Win key + W or something? Check the binding.

Bookmark these guy's, they started doing great Presentations

CVW-11 Intercept Geometry Presentation

I also have a link to a very good PDF book in that thread. Fighter Combat-Tactics and Maneuvering.

Edit:

Also, if you do fly the campaign missions. Understand YOUR mission and that of the other aircraft, there will be sead and CAP aircraft.

Let these guy's do their job, so you can do yours. Example: Stay back and let them clear the way when on strike missions, mop up if you have to etc.

This is for the strike mission, not when you do CAP operations.

Read the mission briefing and understand what your mission is.

The learning never ends;) you should know all about your aircraft and it's ability and the potential enemy's. That also includes the one's on the ground.

At the end of the day the flying, navigating and landing on the carrier should become "standard" secondary stuff. Your real job is to manage "THIS" weapons platform and put warheads on foreheads.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Learn the brevity too, know how to give BRAA calls, bogey/bandit, visual/blind, nails/spike, etc. etc. Now not everyone is going to know all the brevity codes unless they memorize it, but the more knowledge you arm yourself with, the better prepared you'll be for anyone who does know what they're saying.

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm1-02-1.pdf

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

If you think you have a good understanding of the fundamentals down, it's time to start learning strategy/tactics and get better at situational awareness.

Multiplayer really makes (Forces you) to get a lot better at this.:D

Try the campaign missions for the F/A-18 (You can play these separately too) These are good small missions to test your skill and situational awareness (SA) out.

Remember to let your wingman loose. (Do mission and Rejoin) Win key + W or something? Check the binding.

Bookmark these guy's, they started doing great Presentations

CVW-11 Intercept Geometry Presentation

I also have a link to a very good PDF book in that thread. Fighter Combat-Tactics and Maneuvering.

Edit:

Also, if you do fly the campaign missions. Understand YOUR mission and that of the other aircraft, there will be sead and CAP aircraft.

Let these guy's do their job, so you can do yours. Example: Stay back and let them clear the way when on strike missions, mop up if you have to etc.

This is for the strike mission, not when you do CAP operations.

Read the mission briefing and understand what your mission is.

The learning never ends;) you should know all about your aircraft and it's ability and the potential enemy's. That also includes the one's on the ground.

At the end of the day the flying, navigating and landing on the carrier should become "standard" secondary stuff. Your real job is to manage "THIS" weapons platform and put warheads on foreheads.

Great advice mate.

As an aside, ausairpower.net is the single most comprehensive, detailed, and technical site I've ever found related to air combat weapon systems. Seriously, the level of detail in there is astonishing (something you'd expect from Jane's or RAND), and I cannot believe it's unclassified let alone available for free. Hats off to Dr. Kopp!

As an aside, my username really should have said Condor_RAAF but too late now :thumbup: