Easy Refuel Option

Teriander

This game needs a easy refuel option when doing Air-air-refuel. Like if you're within 4 feet of the refuel box, that's close enough. Can't tell you how many times I've hit the stupid refuel tube only for it to refuse a connection. It's by far the most frustrating part of the game.

I just feel like shooting down the refuel tanker when I close in, just so I can have a sense of accomplishment. God knows I'm not refueling.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game needs a easy refuel option when doing Air-air-refuel. Like if you're within 4 feet of the refuel box, that's close enough. Can't tell you how many times I've hit the stupid refuel tube only for it to refuse a connection. It's by far the most frustrating part of the game.

I just feel like shooting down the refuel tanker when I close in, just so I can have a sense of accomplishment. God knows I'm not refueling.

It sounds like your chasing the basket, Look only at the tanker never the basket, just use the corner of you eye to watch the probe and basket, but keep your focus on the tanker the entire time.

Seems counter intuitive but it works, I promise you.

If you miss, don't try and fix it in close. Back on up and think about WHY you missed (Too low, High, Right or Left, ect.) Make the correction and try again.

Also if your having a hard time. Just try and fly close formation with the tanker, and relax for a bit then try again. It's a sim, there's no pressure.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Easy mode? Naaah. Make it harder, give me wake turbulence from the tanker and the hose and basket bobbing about in the airflow. And then when I screw up I break the basket off on my probe and the tanker has to jettison the flailing hose and I have to RTB with the cone of shame. ;)

More seriously, just keep practicing dude. It’s meant to be hard, because it is pretty damn hard IRL. And this is a simulator after all... we are here because we are trying to simulate real life as closely as possible. When you DO finally crack it the satisfaction will be huge.

Lots of good tutorials on YouTube about it.

And start with baby steps of just trying to finesse your formation flying so you can hold station reasonably well before you start trying to hook up. Throttle control is super important and remember don’t chase the basket! I’ve found when teaching people and especially with a very light jet a bit of airbrake helps make the throttle a bit less sensitive, and having the afterburner gate fitted to your throttle (if your throttle has one) is also a good idea to stop you inadvertently going into AB during quick throttle movements.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

When i use old <CH HOTAS>, yes, I realy hope , It's mustbe have "Easy Mode" ! or Mission impossibel !

But, when i use my new <Warthog HOTAS > and set one Button to change Joystick Curve

EX:

"SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 2, 0 , 0, -3);"

"SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 2, 0 , 0, -3);"

"SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, -2);"

"SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, -2);"

when to Refueling it's very helpful, pitch and roll control more stable

and i can finish refueling mission.

when i finish refueling , just press another button set Joystick to Noraml Curve

SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYX, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0); //Scale set to "0"

SetSCurve(&Joystick, JOYY, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0); //Scale set to "0"

"SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_RIGHT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0);" //Scale set to "0"

"SetSCurve(&Throttle, THR_LEFT, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0); //Scale set to "0"

Edited by micro

Good HOTAS make a world of difference. I'm torn on the topic because I understand not all can have the good stuff.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Practice man, and don't look at the basket. Refueling might actually get harder in the future when they add basket physics and possibly tanker turbulence.

If you are getting the F-14 according to heat blur the have include wake turbulence for it so have fun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Make sure to watch this really well done vid.

It's not easy and bad things can and do happen.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Another tip would be to begin with the su-33 instead. As it has auto throttle is is a lot easyer.

System: MSI Z370 | i7 8700K | 32GB DDR4 | RTX 2080Ti | TM Warthog | Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | SA342 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | F-5E | A-10C | M-2000C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-14 | C-101 | F-86F | MiG-21 | MiG-19P | MiG-15 | F-16C | JF-17 | L-39 | Mi-8MTV2 | KA-50 | Christen Eagle II | Yak-52 | Bf 109 K-4 | NTTR | Normandie | Persian Gulf | The Channel

Getting a good visual key is important. I use the the top of the hud glass and the heading tape to trap the pod thing on the tanker. On run up it is basically needs to just touch to the top of the glass. After contact you need to keep it between there and the heading tape and it will be fine.

The 18 also has auto throttle (ATC) but it just seems to make it worse for me, it either is too fast or too slow and then adjusting it is harder than just moving the throttle manually.

Autothrottle during refueling is a huge no no.

I'd also stay away from curves. When you add in yet another variable, you will end up chasing the hose even longer.

It is fundamentally a very difficult manoeuvre, and as such, the key is to simply stick at it.

As already stated, the critical thing is to fly in relation to the tanker, not the basket. Make small, careful inputs or pilot induced oscillation will be the result. If it goes pear-shaped, simply back off, recompose, and try again. Take breaks after short sessions so you can remain relaxed, and just keep plugging away (sorry! terrible pun).

Just think of the satisfaction you'll get when you become an expert at it, and treat with scorn anyone who wants it to be made easier, just like a real fighter jock.

Use ATTH with our autopilot while trying to connect...makes things easier if you wish because it reduces yur user induced oszillations.

And keep on practising.....AR is a rewarding part of this simulation

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Oh... and you think the F/A-18 is hard to refuel....:D

Try it when also sling loading....:cry:

See video here

attachment.php?attachmentid=199393&stc=1&d=1544176466

WE-THE-MARINES.thumb.jpg.4bc3ff0fd43e45469a65360fdd4c1df7.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It is very hard even with really good hardware. Some people do it with a the Hog stick and I take my hat off to them, I'd have no chance

All the advice so far is excellent especially the big 2, don't chase the basket and back off if it all goes pear shaped, settle and try again

The thing is it needs VERY small smooth inputs.

Input wait and try another. Chase the basket or try and correct quickly only leads to PIO

At the end of it good hardware and God knows how long practicing are only really the things that are going to get you good at it. Once it clicks it's awesome

Good tutorial here IMHO

I use curves too

By the way the F-18 is not the hardest aircraft in the sim to Air 2 Air Refuel with :megalol:

Yep, when I was learning refueling I would spend hours just practicing this until I got frustrated or got better. Every now and then you need to stop and shake out your hand and relax, then try again.

As others said do NOT focus on the basket, find a point on the tanker to focus on and use your peripheral vision for the basket. Don't try and chase it at the last second either...

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

getting fuel from basket is easy . i can complete it with su-33 and f18 by using my jittery ch throttle.

but never completed boom refueling with a10 and f15

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

getting fuel from basket is easy . i can complete it with su-33 and f18 by using my jittery ch throttle.

but never completed boom refueling with a10 and f15

Yeah that’s a whole different ballgame. Flying a lot closer to the tanker too.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I do not vote for an easy refueling. This is a simulation and it should be as realistic as possible.

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

I completely disagree as this is a study sim, i want it as real as it can get to be honest lol :)

If I wanted an Arcade mode i would fly something else

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

I understand it not being realistic, but ... it took me/ many hours to get a single drop of fuel in the F-15C. I am not able to put the hours into sim that are required for getting proficient in AAR (also I don't have VR and only a half decent stick). While I am probably going to spend sometime practicing AAR in the Hornet, I will certainly not do this for every plane I own. Having a an optional (!) easy cheat mode for AAR would help me a lot.