Easy Refuel Option

Teriander

lol... love to see where this discussion goes when jet wash is introduced.

AAR difficulty has been a dead horse getting beat since it was introduced to DCS. If anything I see it getting harder in the future...not easier.

AAR imo is an "end game" type activity in DCS. For those well versed in their aircraft of choice. Not meant to be easy by any means.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which many of your options mentionned are mostly unavailable on servers. Any reasons why you think? My point is, no matter what devs work their ass off to make something, we always whine to have something different, always easier to ask a developpers to work hard and long on something to ease us, rather than take the time to try. We don't have the time to practice, but let'S ask a Developper to take the time to create something for us laysy rather then to work on something more helpful. It's too wasy, we cry it'S too easy, it'S too hard, we cry it'S too hard, nature of human being, never satisfied with what otehr gives us, you give someone an inch and they ask 2 inches.

Someone made a request, and the only people who are whining are people like you who don't want it.

So we better be discussing ways to beat this wingtips vortices. I am thinking staying below the tanker will keep you away from the effect.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Well, let's make DCS a fully Ease of Access game, let's make an easy option for refueling on the groudn as well, just flying over the airfield like in Battlefield 1 will refuel your aircraft, and an easy option for AAR, an easy option to land that being 10 ft over the airfield makes it'S as if you're landed and don't damage the aircraft, let's make an option for the color blind people so they see everything up like some games do, also, let's make an option where the models can be seing 20 nm away as if they were 1 nm away for those having issues to spot aircrafts (oh forgot, we had it, but it's gone), also an easy option for bombs runs, so those having issues can have bombs exploding stuff 1 nm away from the target, also people having issues evading missiles, let's make a Slowmotion option for easy missile evading you know, like the Matrix, let's all make DCS suits for everyone's weakness, sounds a deal? :) Let's take out all the good work ED tried to bring realism (that lots of us i this community likes and for a lot of us, brought us to DCS) to a sim where most other PC sim failed or didn'T have, let's bring DCS down to other PC sim.

BTW who ever is having a hard time to AAR and wasted his time to read the entire 15 pages of this thread rather going in DCS and try to refuel is a bit funny.

Oh - the slippery slope argument !

If we let anything fall below the magic level of 'simulation', the next time we turn around we will have a child's game.

It might not be what you're intending, but it smells like trying to set an entry bar to keep the game for 'real hard core' players.

The reality is that some people will never make good pilots - that's why there's an entry test and a filtering system to get onto and through real pilot training.

No matter how long they practice, some people are always going to have difficulty doing A2A refuelling.

Your suggestion seems to be that they go find another hobby so they don't contaminate DCS's airways ?

Or there is another solution that builds a bigger community not shrinks it...

In the same way as their is already take off and rudder assistance for the prop planes, or an AI co-pilot for helicopters while using the guns, or a start in the air option for people that only have an hour of spare time at a time not three - there could be an option that stabilised &/or provided an AP for the aircraft during refuelling.

We all know you won't use it & you don't need to use it, but some people - people that have less spare time than you, less money to spend on flight gear, or less talent as pilots than you - might be able to take part in missions that otherwise they wouldn't.

& other people using it won't hurt you one little bit ;)

Cheers.

We don't have the time to practice, but let'S ask a Developper to take the time to create something for us laysy rather then to work on something more helpful.

Helpful ?

That's the point isn't it ? to have a helpful assist.

Or does 'helpful' only mean helpful if it's something you want ?

You want a sim the way you want a sim, and you(...) don't have the time to practice {coding}, {so you} ask a Developper to take the time to create something for {you}

Cheers.

I don't see a problem of having an easy/auto refuel option for those that need it.

It doesn't ruin anything for the people that can refuel and makes those that can't stay on station for longer. I can't see any issues with it. After people see how it's done they may practice and learn to do it themselves because it is fun to nail by yourself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

no one ever needs an "easy refuel option"...

...it's all about practice.;)

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Someone mentioned the fact that multiplayer servers block the use of unlimited fuel, indestructible airframes as a reason we need an easy refuel option.

This raises two points in regard to the OPs request. First, any easy option would also be excluded if the admins on servers choose, so using that as an argument is self defeating. And secondly, if you want to have those options, just set up your own server!

Back to the OPs request. We could simply add it to the “game” version of DCS world, or the upcoming platform. Or we could have every option added to the simulation, providing all such options can be globally blocked by mission builders and admins on servers.

Seems reasonable, on reflection, to make the platform customisable by end users so we can all have our cake of choice. The rub will be when 2 or more of us gather together. Just look at religion for an example of what happens when we humans try to agree to something abstract!

Or, just get better at doing stuff.

Someone mentioned the fact that multiplayer servers block the use of unlimited fuel, indestructible airframes as a reason we need an easy refuel option.

This raises two points in regard to the OPs request. First, any easy option would also be excluded if the admins on servers choose, so using that as an argument is self defeating. And secondly, if you want to have those options, just set up your own server!

Back to the OPs request. We could simply add it to the “game” version of DCS world, or the upcoming platform. Or we could have every option added to the simulation, providing all such options can be globally blocked by mission builders and admins on servers.

Seems reasonable, on reflection, to make the platform customisable by end users so we can all have our cake of choice. The rub will be when 2 or more of us gather together. Just look at religion for an example of what happens when we humans try to agree to something abstract!

Or, just get better at doing stuff.

Unlimited fuel, indestructible labels etc, give you a competitive edge, easy refuel would not. Not to say you don't have valid points because you do, but I don't think your examples are quite the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys , is there that kind of option - for easy refuel? Because i just cant refuel, whatever i do. Game is last OB, Hornet. My joystick is Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS. I`ve tried numerous combination of settings for deadzones and curves - still just cant refuel. When im close enought to tanker, my aircraft strart roll left-right....

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

I would imagine a script could solve the problem and allow some people to use easy refuel by pressing a keyboard combo such as left shift+alt+R when you are within 1nm of the tanker.

I dont know if such a script excist.

And also people need to know how to install the script.

( or maybe in the editor if there was an option to click a plane and select unlimited fuel ).

I would imagine a script could solve the problem and allow some people to use easy refuel by pressing a keyboard combo such as left shift+alt+R when you are within 1nm of the tanker.

I dont know if such a script excist.

And also people need to know how to install the script.

( or maybe in the editor if there was an option to click a plane and select unlimited fuel ).

Unlimited fuel is available in the option menus.

I understand that you can only use this option when do single missions. It is not allowed in most servers when doing multi-player or online missions.

So you can choose to have unlimited fuel

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• 1 month later...

:smartass:Oh boy is this thread going in circles.

Have you read any of the previous comments? Not everyone wants to just play SP, and they currently can't refuel for various reasons, so want some AI help. Even in SP, a mission might require A-A refuelling, and AFAIK, Infinite fuel is not an option on MP.

Anyone who thinks options are a bad thing to ask for is missing something imo. Maybe it's the altitude sickness brought on by sitting on that high horse?

It's almost as if some people have the need to feel superior to new users. Have they not noticed that this sim has got a lot bigger since the great unwashed masses were drawn to it via Steam etc? Those people will eventually buy modules, supporting development and take time to learn the complicated stuff, but why make it impossible from the get-go?

I say include as many options such as rudder assist, and easy refuelling as possible. I don't use them as a rule - but sometimes I might want to - unlimited weapons for example, when trying out new settings.

All the crying about "It ain't real tho", have clearly never worked on the real thing. You really want to spend 2 hours waiting for the weather to clear, only to be canned just after you spent 20 minutes on a startup? Do you turn on all faults - and abort if there is low pressure in HYD 2?, or spend 3 hours waiting for a blown tyre to be changed? Do you wait in a holding pattern.. Oh wait - we don't have a realistic ATC. Lots of things are far from realistic - because get this... It's a game. Shocking I know - but some people just want to have fun. :doh:

:smartass:Oh boy is this thread going in circles.

Have you read any of the previous comments? Not everyone wants to just play SP, and they currently can't refuel for various reasons, so want some AI help. Even in SP, a mission might require A-A refuelling, and AFAIK, Infinite fuel is not an option on MP.

Anyone who thinks options are a bad thing to ask for is missing something imo. Maybe it's the altitude sickness brought on by sitting on that high horse?

It's almost as if some people have the need to feel superior to new users. Have they not noticed that this sim has got a lot bigger since the great unwashed masses were drawn to it via Steam etc? Those people will eventually buy modules, supporting development and take time to learn the complicated stuff, but why make it impossible from the get-go?

I say include as many options such as rudder assist, and easy refuelling as possible. I don't use them as a rule - but sometimes I might want to - unlimited weapons for example, when trying out new settings.

All the crying about "It ain't real tho", have clearly never worked on the real thing. You really want to spend 2 hours waiting for the weather to clear, only to be canned just after you spent 20 minutes on a startup? Do you turn on all faults - and abort if there is low pressure in HYD 2?, or spend 3 hours waiting for a blown tyre to be changed? Do you wait in a holding pattern.. Oh wait - we don't have a realistic ATC. Lots of things are far from realistic - because get this... It's a game. Shocking I know - but some people just want to have fun. :doh:

+1 ... I couldn' say it any better than that...

Is ATC the way to go in refueling or better to get the touch on the throttle - having trouble maintaining once the tanker is sweet

Constant adjustment is the key. Your throttle should always be moving a little each way to stay with the tanker. You'll get used to it in time, feels wrong at first to be constantly fiddling with throttle, but that's how it's done IRL: constant adjustment, because you'll never get the ATC to max exactly.

Refuelling is hard, it’s frustrating and for the longest time I chased the bucket bobbing up and down. Then I (after numerous tutorial videos) saw the light, flew in formation with the tanker, sliding the probe in with my peripheral vision, constantly on the throttle. It’s still not easy, but I can refuel now and it feels worth the effort. There is an option to avoid it, either unlimited fuel, land and refuel or nurse your fuel. The maps are not so large that you will need it for most missions.

So for single player it is sorted. In multiplayer while I am all for options, should we introduce the option for those who find avoiding bleeding energy too hard to fly a simple flight model if they choose? Perhaps an easy land option because trapping on a carrier is hard?

Just practice, watch videos on it, practice again. This is DCS, part of being a simulator includes tasks that are challenging beyond just combat.

Unlimited fuel option might help with refueling ;)
Yeah but problem is denying someone the intrinsic satisfaction of doing AAR in game.

I was so elated when I successfully did my first AAR. It is a very thrilling mission each time I do it.

just a tip for the Hornet, if you struggling to keep the right speed, just use one engine for finetuning, the flybywire will cancel any attitude changes, and you basically have double the precision for the speed. just keep the offset as small as possible

SFMBE