Easy Refuel Option

Teriander

well, just asking, but what tanker are you trying to get fuel from?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, just asking, but what tanker are you trying to get fuel from?

It's been a while, but for the F-15C there is only one option right? I thought it was the KC-135. For the F-18C I've had some luck with the KC-130, but the Viking was more troublesome. The Harrier, I did not even try ...

I understand everyone who has his point "No, it's a Sim", or "that's the way it is"

BUT

I think it's not the baddest idea. We already have an "easy start" button combination, which is (totally okay) turned off on some servers.

As a father of 3 children and a wife that doesn't even like aviation, an 48+ hours full-time job in a shift work, I play like up to 6 hours a month. And that's pretty much overall.

I tryed it several times and I know I need patience. Finally I made it for 12 seconds. Right now I don't want to spend anymore playtime for AAR, if I can bomb some stuff. I use FPAS and even before I'm pretty happy with my fuel consumption.

In a far future I will do AAR again, but why not an option for Auto-AAR? You can switch it off like the auto-start. Also you can learn how the computer it will do to see some visual mark points in your own seat / trackir layout?!

Again not a priority but nice to have.

(I think befor it is implemented, it's routine for me :lol:)

I understand everyone who has his point "No, it's a Sim", or "that's the way it is"

BUT

I think it's not the baddest idea. We already have an "easy start" button combination, which is (totally okay) turned off on some servers.

As a father of 3 children and a wife that doesn't even like aviation, an 48+ hours full-time job in a shift work, I play like up to 6 hours a month. And that's pretty much overall.

I tryed it several times and I know I need patience. Finally I made it for 12 seconds. Right now I don't want to spend anymore playtime for AAR, if I can bomb some stuff. I use FPAS and even before I'm pretty happy with my fuel consumption.

In a far future I will do AAR again, but why not an option for Auto-AAR? You can switch it off like the auto-start. Also you can learn how the computer it will do to see some visual mark points in your own seat / trackir layout?!

i am not against it...and i don’t understand why some people are...if you don’t want a feature disable it.

Also you should remember that refuelling in real life is somewhat easier then in a sim

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Once it clicks for you it opens up the capability of the Hornet (and any other aircraft I suppose) enormously. I couldn't do it for many years but once I learnt and understood the fundamentals it clicked for me and it is now one of the most fun, rewarding and easy things in the sim for me. We will often refuel several times in one mission and there's nothing cooler than having your squad all lining up for fuel then lining up after taking fuel off the tankers wing.

Stick at it and as a few have mentioned don't look at the basket, line up the refuelling tank on the wing with the top of the HUD and walk it in smoothly. Once connected just use small throttle inputs to stay lined up with the refueler, forward on the throttle then bring it back a touch, constantly adjusting in small increments. I am using a stock standard TM Warthog and I find it excellent. Good luck!

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

It's been a while, but for the F-15C there is only one option right? I thought it was the KC-135. For the F-18C I've had some luck with the KC-130, but the Viking was more troublesome. The Harrier, I did not even try ...

Sorry, if i didnt clarify, but the question was for teriander who started this threat. as it is posted in the hornet section, it seems there are only 4 options:

- IL78M

- S3B

- KC-130

- KC-135BDA

as noone asked what tanker he tried, i thought i bring it up, cause the first 3 are no problem usualy, but the KC-135BDA is "bugged" atm as i understand. so if he tried at the KC-135BDA, his frustration is understandable and he should try the others :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

Speaking of, when will it get fixed? Been close to a year now? Who fixes it? ED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Options are always good but fixing all the refueling bugs with the KC-135 and KC-130 along with the with the new basket physics and S-3 model could solve a lot of our difficulties. Hopefully Heatblur's KA-6 gives us a good representation of refueling as well.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

getting fuel from basket is easy . i can complete it with su-33 and f18 by using my jittery ch throttle.

but never completed boom refueling with a10 and f15

In my own opinion, the Harrier was for me the hardest of all DCS modules to air-refuel at first, at least even if the AI is stupid and when not bugged, with the F-15, it was able to connect when it's out of view and using the lights on the tanker's big belly, but with the harrier as you need to stick the probe inside the basket, with no AI moving stuff around, was tricky at first, but love the challenge.... only aricraft i never tried Air refueling is the F-5, cuz i have almost 0 interest what so ever to that aircraft.

...only aricraft i never tried Air refueling is the F-5, cuz i have almost 0 interest what so ever to that aircraft.

So little interest in fact that you didn't notice it had no refuelling probe lol:thumbup:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

I actually support the idea of an easy refuel option 100%

I'm just like most of you guys, "I don't need no stinking easy option on anything with DCS. I want hardcore everything."

But at the same time, not everyone is going to put in/have the time to "study" all aspects of the simulator.

Example, when my son comes over we both REALLY get a kick out of flying in formation with each other and doing missions etc. He is only 10 years old but his love of aviation reminds me of someone else I knew at that age.

He will learn how to refuel the "real" way one day but as of right now he is not quite there.

I don't think air refueling should be so simple a 10 year old can do it with little to no practice, but at least an option would be nice to aid him during the process.

I'm going to have to agree with Dirty Mittens, and others on a easy refueling OPTION. Some people are more adept than others in various aspects of flying these planes; especially when it comes to refueling and formation flying. I personally have yet to hook up successfully with either the A-10C or the F/A-18 and find it very frustrating. We all don't have the time to invest in learning this and it's not necessarily any lack of interest.

What is more frustrating to me is the limitations this imposes on flying longer missions and enjoying the overall aspects of flying missions with heavier weapon load-outs. By the time I reach my target(s) I'm BINGO and have to divert immediately after dumping my load, or partially thru it.

I know it's not for everyone and I understand the 'realism' argument, but I could get more involved, engaged, and immersed if we could have this one OPTION.

Put some rules/parameters in it as suggested by Teriander....close proximity, and maintaining that proximity is a solid qualifier. The ability for editors and servers to restrict this option should satisfy the purist out there....but give us a break...we want to fly!

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Another vote in favor of an "easy" AAR option. I don't think it detracts from the fidelity of the simulation and if you don't want to refuel that way, then simply don't.

Agree. There are already other "little helpers" in DCS, like the rudder assistance for the WWII-warbirds. I don`t use them, but the existence of those options don`t make DCS a low fidelity sim for me. If there are people out there, who want that option, give it to them!;)

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

I vote for this, a bit like autostart. I don’t mind the realism in combat but sometimes the transition time, start up and taxi and perhaps even Case 1 recovery as well as refuelling.

It just an option, you can choose to use it or not, makes the sims more available IMO is a good thing.

BUT

Yes! It's great to add a cheating feature if you can automatically refuel. If I want to practice technique, I can disable automatic refueling. If I want the game to be less difficult, I start auto-refueling. Auto-refueling doesn't affect authenticity. Instead, it gives people more choices.

But there are already two easy options. Infinite fuel and airfields.

Seriously though I don't quiet understand the whole fuss. Either you are into the realism and see your capability for aar as necessity or you don't. For the latter you have alternatives to practicing something you don't like/don't have the time for.

The cost/benefit equation from the dev side seems out of balance for me.

Edit:

I would prefer to see that energy put into servers and finalization of modules and such

Edited by SacredRaziel

This game needs a easy refuel option when doing Air-air-refuel. Like if you're within 4 feet of the refuel box, that's close enough. Can't tell you how many times I've hit the stupid refuel tube only for it to refuse a connection. It's by far the most frustrating part of the game.

I just feel like shooting down the refuel tanker when I close in, just so I can have a sense of accomplishment. God knows I'm not refueling.

Learn to refuel, f-18 sorry to be rude but is only option

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView