Easy Refuel Option

Teriander

That's pretty snobby of you or anyone else who feels like shitting on noobs and PRECISELY the reason why the community has trouble attracting and retaining new pilots. Show a little empathy and support FFS.

Many of us here like things that are difficult to master, so don't get triggered over that, just practice, it's doable.:book:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us here like things that are difficult to master, so don't get triggered over that, just practice, it's doable.:book:

I agree but it’s not about being triggered. It’s about showing compassion for those who are not as good or who can’t be as dedicated as others. These skills are all perishable so it takes a lot of time and commitment to improve..... some of us (including me) have a great love for this sim but also have a lot of commitments outside of it so we can’t dedicate as much time as we’d like. As such, hopping in the jet and flying a mission without having to worry if it’s success is dependent on whether or not you’ll successfully tank up mid air takes a load off. Who cares how simmy it is as long as it puts a smile on your face.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

I agree but it’s not about being triggered. It’s about showing compassion for those who are not as good or who can’t be as dedicated as others. These skills are all perishable so it takes a lot of time and commitment to improve..... some of us (including me) have a great love for this sim but also have a lot of commitments outside of it so we can’t dedicate as much time as we’d like. As such, hopping in the jet and flying a mission without having to worry if it’s success is dependent on whether or not you’ll successfully tank up mid air takes a load off. Who cares how simmy it is as long as it puts a smile on your face.

I am not arguing the merits of easy AAR, I just pointing out that there is a huge sense of pride and bragging rights involved when you can AAR, because it's so difficult. Compassion will not make you AAR guru unfortunately.

As to your point of not caring how simmy it is, if that was the case then many of us would not be here I reckon, we do it because we could not do it in real life for whatever reason, so realism is of the upmost importance to us, we have sunk boatloads of money into it because it gives us what no other game can. (I use the terms us and we loosely)

I am not arguing the merits of easy AAR, I just pointing out that there is a huge sense of pride and bragging rights involved when you can AAR, because it's so difficult. Compassion will not make you AAR guru unfortunately.

Absolutely and I totally agree with you. Being able to master AAR or even accomplish it is grounds for great sense of pride but it does not mean anyone should be crapping on those that prefer to forego it for the sake of wanting to stay in the mission and enjoy the many other aspects of this sim/game. There's no harm in it and if it was an option I would wager that it would make this sim/game even more popular than it is now.

As to your point of not caring how simmy it is, if that was the case then many of us would not be here I reckon, we do it because we could not do it in real life for whatever reason, so realism is of the upmost importance to us, we have sunk boatloads of money into it because it gives us what no other game can. (I use the terms us and we loosely)

And again, totally agree with you. Now this is where I'm trying to make my point. Many of the pro VR pilots here love the intricacies, realism and fine detail allotted to this sim/game. As a result what do people see on YouTube; Beautiful sunsets mired with amazing backdrops and cool footage of weapons deployment, ACM and big explosions. SO, what does this do to people (and especially noobs)? It gets them excited! It makes them WANT to buy the sim/game. It makes them WANT to be a part of the community and comments like "This is the real thing, go play Ace Combat if you don't like it." or my personal favorite,

"THIS IS A SIM AS IN SIMULATION!!!! IT IS NOT A GAME DAMMIT AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really now? Relax, take a breath and understand that all this does is create an elitist niche within the community that alienates itself from the gaming community and deteriorates the developer over the long run because a handful of hardcore sim pilots for such an amazing sim/game is NOT profitable. If DCS were to stick to this model and only cater to that demographic, not only would they be shooting themselves in the foot but they would also be forced to raise their prices across the board to remain profitable which, again, in the long run will sink the company. This is why Modern Air Combat is being released. DCS desperately needs to create something that is profitable and will bridge the gap between the hardcore sim pilots and the noobs who want to learn. That said, I know what some of the pricks here (not talking about anyone in particular) will say; "GO PLAY MAC AND STOP BOTHERING US!" again, toxic, accomplishes nothing and gives hardcore simmers a bad rep.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I see this time and time again when newcomers ask a question in this forum. Come on guys, we should all be working together to help each other. This isn't a pissing contest. It's what gamers do to get away, have fun and learn so let's check our egos at the door. Is that a fair thing to ask? Sorry if I skewed the main topic of discussion guys. Not my intention at all

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Absolutely and I totally agree with you. Being able to master AAR or even accomplish it is grounds for great sense of pride but it does not mean anyone should be crapping on those that prefer to forego it for the sake of wanting to stay in the mission and enjoy the many other aspects of this sim/game. There's no harm in it and if it was an option I would wager that it would make this sim/game even more popular than it is now.

And again, totally agree with you. Now this is where I'm trying to make my point. Many of the pro VR pilots here love the intricacies, realism and fine detail allotted to this sim/game. As a result what do people see on YouTube; Beautiful sunsets mired with amazing backdrops and cool footage of weapons deployment, ACM and big explosions. SO, what does this do to people (and especially noobs)? It gets them excited! It makes them WANT to buy the sim/game. It makes them WANT to be a part of the community and comments like "This is the real thing, go play Ace Combat if you don't like it." or my personal favorite,

"THIS IS A SIM AS IN SIMULATION!!!! IT IS NOT A GAME DAMMIT AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Really now? Relax, take a breath and understand that all this does is create an elitist niche within the community that alienates itself from the gaming community and deteriorates the developer over the long run because a handful of hardcore sim pilots for such an amazing sim/game is NOT profitable. If DCS were to stick to this model and only cater to that demographic, not only would they shooting themselves in the foot but they would also be forced to raise their prices across the board to remain profitable which, again, in the long run will sink the company. This is why Modern Air Combat is being released. DCS desperately needs to create something that is profitable and will bridge the gap between the hardcore sim pilots and the noobs who want to learn. That said, I know what some of the pricks here (not talking about anyone in particular) will say; "GO PLAY MAC AND STOP BOTHERING US!" again, toxic, accomplishes nothing and give hardcore simmers a bad rep.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I see this time and time again when newcomers ask a questionin this forum. Come on guys, we should all be working together to help each other. This isn't a pissing contest. It's what gamers do to get away, have fun and learn so let's check our egos at the door. Is that a fair thing to ask? Sorry if I skewed the main topic of discussion guys. Not my intention at all

The community is not what it used to be 10 years ago or maybe even 5 years ago for that matter, I personally blame steam for that but that's my personal opinion and I am not going to get into a debate about it, it used to be an extremely helpful place, but after 2,345 (I am exaggerating but not by much) "how do I do something that's in the manual but am too lazy to find out" threads, it gets irritating for the hardcore guys that spend vast amounts of time studying the manual from cover to cover over and over again, watching hours of you tube videos and slogging through the learning process, doing the same bombing mission over and over again trying to get it right, so that kinda explains why the patience levels are not what they used to be.

One or two last thoughts, the devs have thier hands full right now, so for them to dumb down the sim means more work and MAC is still not that easy compared to say minecraft or Assassins creed or the that new FPS Ace combat 7. Anyway good luck mate, and just keep swimming.

The community is not what it used to be 10 years ago or maybe even 5 years ago for that matter, I personally blame steam for that but that's my personal opinion and I am not going to get into a debate about it, it used to be an extremely helpful place, but after 2,345 (I am exaggerating but not by much) "how do I do something that's in the manual but am too lazy to find out" threads, it gets irritating for the hardcore guys that spend vast amounts of time studying the manual from cover to cover over and over again, watching hours of you tube videos and slogging through the learning process, doing the same bombing mission over and over again trying to get it right, so that kinda explains why the patience levels are not what they used to be.

One or two last thoughts, the devs have thier hands full right now, so for them to dumb down the sim means more work and MAC is still not that easy compared to say minecraft or Assassins creed or the that new FPS Ace combat 7. Anyway good luck mate, and just keep swimming.

You’re right. With added popularity comes added members of the community. I own a 2010 Range Rover sport and I have studied the manual front to back, watched countless YouTube videos on maintenance and care as well as detailing and when I read the dumbest questions in the forum I get just as equally frustrated because it’s obvious that a person did not even try to do a simple search so I totally feel your pain. I’m guilty of losing patience myself but that’s a different animal and with it comes different ways of approaching the challenge.

With this game in particular we kill the enthusiasm that DCS is trying to create when we belittle and shun the noobs and like it or not, noobs are what make this game profitable. If we can all make the effort to just help them out (and by them I mean me too lol) it will help the community grow. If it serves as any comfort to the seasoned pros out there, as I make my basic no frills videos I end up learning the hard way how to do stuff and I will wager you a beer that this is probably how noobs get even more excited about hopping into the game and treating it more like a sim as they learn.

Thanks for your replies. It really does help clear the air and I hope that more noobs read our discussion to get a better understanding of how the pros feel about the game and why they get a little snarky from time to time. I can’t say I blame the pros but I would ask that they not kill a noobs interest with snobby comebacks and pompous attitudes. It really accomplishes nothing and in the long run, makes this game more expensive to own.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Agreed.

If you've been simming for any length of time it's easy to forget how much you've learnt along the way. Some noobs might be lazy, but others can't RTFM if they're not sure what they're even supposed to look for.

This reminds me of an anecdote I heard about someone asking for IT (programming) help. Whenever they asked for advice on how to do something, they were insulted for being stupid/lazy. They realised the only way to get answers was to troll: they'd post saying things like "ha, I bet you idiots don't know how to do this!", and lo and behold they'd get loads of help very quickly :)

I see far more noobs who don't know where to start than those being lazy, so I'd hope the more seasoned around here would give anyone asking for help the benefit of the doubt (and generally I think they do). And if you know the answer to a question when you really don't think the person asking deserves an answer, just don't respond!

Oh and by the way. Falcon 4.0 had a basic and advanced platform within the entire game and I can only speak for myself but not only did it make the game more fun, it actually allowed me to transition into the more realistic side as my skills improved. In the middle of a mission I had the option to either attempt a realistic mid-air refuel or with the press of a key the game would do it for me provided I was in the pre-contact position. This actually encouraged me to try it myself as I improved and it worked! It bridged my skills between noob and pro. DCS really should give players this option.

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

That comment made me smile. I'm just imaging any of us pure fighter jet fans watching real videos of Hornet drivers, and going to do the process to become fighter pilots, and once getting there, asking for stuff being easier cuz it seemed way easier on videos watched on Youtube. :) If taking the time, reading for tips, watching videos etc.. you realise refueling the Hornet is one of the easiest thing you could ever do in the Hornet, the most easiest aircraft to refuel, but it required to work for it, read, watch videos, read about curves, hardware tips, practice.

As per what the OP asked, a sorta 4 feets invisible box around the basket to refuel, jesus, it reminds me in FSX when i tried to refuel the VRS Superbug with a tanker, exactly working like this, you had to stand in an invisible box around the basket, but you didn't know where it was exactly, so refueling was a total piece of crap, i discovered DCS after a while, around 2009-2010, since then i was dreaming of a Hornet and a tanker with physical basket coming to DCS, my dream came live last May, in 2018. And i can tell you, refueling with a basket with physical collision is 20 times way easier, and keeping the connection as well. Give people a 4 feet box, and they'll find a way to even have a hard time to do it, eventualy going to ask 10 feet and finaly, ended up being able to AA refuel 20 nm away from the tanker :)

IMO, its already at an easy level. You dont even have to hit the center of the drogue and you connect. I can spoke the hell out of it and plug right in. No turbulence or movement from the basket being out in the slipstream. Or even the bow wave off your radome, pushing it around as you approach.

I get that some find it difficult. Its another part of formation flying and takes practice. How much satisfaction is there when everything is so watered down and made easy, that you dont even have to try?

IMO, its already at an easy level. You dont even have to hit the center of the drogue and you connect. I can spoke the hell out of it and plug right in. No turbulence or movement from the basket being out in the slipstream. Or even the bow wave off your radome, pushing it around as you approach.

I get that some find it difficult. Its another part of formation flying and takes practice. How much satisfaction is there when everything is so watered down and made easy, that you dont even have to try?

Things to consider:

Hardware makes a difference.

Not everyone has the time/ability to practice.

Takeoff, landing, basic combat, is achievable for most players, but AAR is pretty much you can either do it or not. It's not a scalable difficulty.

Once you can do it it's easy to forget how hard you first found it.

Last and most important, an easy option doesn't give you an competitive advantage, so I don't see a good reason to oppose this idea.

TBH if you can't do AAR, you don't need to. Most of the maps are quite small and we have airbases everywhere. Even without fuel tanks, i can take a full load of bombs 120nm, bomb and get back onto the carrier without any fuel issues.

BUT

I highly recommend you learn to do AAR. 2 things:

1. ensure you have curves in your joystick and throttle as needed (you do NOT want it too responsive); and

2. practice, practice, practice.

The human mind is designed to learn as long as you push it.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

That comment made me smile. I'm just imaging any of us pure fighter jet fans watching real videos of Hornet drivers, and going to do the process to become fighter pilots, and once getting there, asking for stuff being easier cuz it seemed way easier on videos watched on Youtube. :) If taking the time, reading for tips, watching videos etc.. you realise refueling the Hornet is one of the easiest thing you could ever do in the Hornet, the most easiest aircraft to refuel, but it required to work for it, read, watch videos, read about curves, hardware tips, practice.

As per what the OP asked, a sorta 4 feets invisible box around the basket to refuel, jesus, it reminds me in FSX when i tried to refuel the VRS Superbug with a tanker, exactly working like this, you had to stand in an invisible box around the basket, but you didn't know where it was exactly, so refueling was a total piece of crap, i discovered DCS after a while, around 2009-2010, since then i was dreaming of a Hornet and a tanker with physical basket coming to DCS, my dream came live last May, in 2018. And i can tell you, refueling with a basket with physical collision is 20 times way easier, and keeping the connection as well. Give people a 4 feet box, and they'll find a way to even have a hard time to do it, eventualy going to ask 10 feet and finaly, ended up being able to AA refuel 20 nm away from the tanker :)

Dude, in case you don't know; real fighter pilots **DO** ask for stuff to be easier. As the cockpit becomes more and more cluttered, pilots ask for and are always consulted on issues they like and dislike about the jets they fly. Case in point, the F-15. It was developed to defend against the Mig-25 and also answered a huge pile of pilot complaints and issues with the jets they were flying at the time. Skunk works was an amazing division and it also designed the A-10 and the F-16 which again was born out of necessities that pilots demanded.

Good fighter jets come from a need to make things simpler to allow pilots the ability to focus on the most important things vs information overload which was a REAL problem in the older fighter jets. Asking to make things easier and getting shunned because you did all of your homework is a bit childish. Times change and if this game does not change with the times it will go by the wayside.

DCS doesn't exist to make you feel like a master at flight sims. It exists because the community enjoys playing the game and it will only get better and attract more pilots if it *****BRIDGES***** the gap between beginner and pro in a way that maintains a pilots interest from the very beginning of the learning curve. If DCS fails to do this, they will not be as profitable and believe me, they WANT to make more money, otherwise they would not even think of releasing another Modern Air Combat title that is playable with Keyboard and mouse. I myself cannot wait to try it and see how they map all the controls. I'll use a stick and throttle of course but I'll definitely try the keyboard functionality with any of my noob friends who want to try it. There's nothing wrong with being super studious and having a 20k setup in your office but there is something wrong with belittling those that are keen and want to learn. Lol, your attitude reminds me of the generation that grew up with cars when the previous gen used horse and carriage:"In my day we didn't use "cars". We had horses and we liked it, we loved it BAAAAHHHHH. If you want to get somewhere, get a horse!!!! Cars are for sissies!"

:megalol:

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

The old LOMAC did that. Maybe the new MAC will have it and that'll be more your speed. This here's the real stuff.

considering that A10 had a "game mode"

asking for simplfied refuel option whilst otherwise flying a full fidelity isn't all that shocking or even dealbreaking. And as another user "Akula" just pointed out the option to bridge gap between different skill levels should be there.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

TBH if you can't do AAR, you don't need to. Most of the maps are quite small and we have airbases everywhere. Even without fuel tanks, i can take a full load of bombs 120nm, bomb and get back onto the carrier without any fuel issues.

BUT

I highly recommend you learn to do AAR. 2 things:

1. ensure you have curves in your joystick and throttle as needed (you do NOT want it too responsive); and

2. practice, practice, practice.

The human mind is designed to learn as long as you push it.

Thanks Pharoah,

If you're open to it I'd love to hook up with you on a server and see how you do it. Don't want to take up too much of your time but let me know if you'd be interested. I'm running a 150 down and 15 up connection so if you have an AAR mission already made I can host ;)

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

Dude, in case you don't know; real fighter pilots **DO** ask for stuff to be easier. As the cockpit becomes more and more cluttered, pilots ask for and are always consulted on issues they like and dislike about the jets they fly. Case in point, the F-15. It was developed to defend against the Mig-25 and also answered a huge pile of pilot complaints and issues with the jets they were flying at the time. Skunk works was an amazing division and it also designed the A-10 and the F-16 which again was born out of necessities that pilots demanded.

Good fighter jets come from a need to make things simpler to allow pilots the ability to focus on the most important things vs information overload which was a REAL problem in the older fighter jets. Asking to make things easier and getting shunned because you did all of your homework is a bit childish. Times change and if this game does not change with the times it will go by the wayside.

DCS doesn't exist to make you feel like a master at flight sims. It exists because the community enjoys playing the game and it will only get better and attract more pilots if it *****BRIDGES***** the gap between beginner and pro in a way that maintains a pilots interest from the very beginning of the learning curve. If DCS fails to do this, they will not be as profitable and believe me, they WANT to make more money, otherwise they would not even think of releasing another Modern Air Combat title that is playable with Keyboard and mouse. I myself cannot wait to try it and see how they map all the controls. I'll use a stick and throttle of course but I'll definitely try the keyboard functionality with any of my noob friends who want to try it. There's nothing wrong with being super studious and having a 20k setup in your office but there is something wrong with belittling those that are keen and want to learn. Lol, your attitude reminds me of the generation that grew up with cars when the previous gen used horse and carriage:"In my day we didn't use "cars". We had horses and we liked it, we loved it BAAAAHHHHH. If you want to get somewhere, get a horse!!!! Cars are for sissies!"

:megalol:

Let me help you a bit.

Skunk Works originated as a division of Lockheed. The A-10 was built by Fairchild. The F-16 by General Dynamics. The F-15, McDonnell-Douglas.

So back to the AAR part. The Pharoah nailed it. The maps dont require AAR. So you can bypass it. Two bags of gas for the throttle heavy, a single for the more conservative. Tying up resources and overly simplifying an already simplified task (that isnt a requirement on the small maps) because people dont want to take the time to learn it, is wasteful and selfish. There are more pressing bugs to the basic functionality of the sim that are better suited for the time available. Resource optimization, visibility, netcode stability.

"People dont have the time". Thats a cop out. Instead of jumping into your Air Quake server on your limited time, setup a mission (or download one of the several free ones) dedicated to AAR and practice.

As a former Boom Operator and later commissioned pilot on the other end, this is a subject close to the heart. :)

I want it to be harder too, that basket needs to move with the bow wake. Also it isn't hard to leave the end of your probe in there as a gift to the boom operator.

I remember two instances of being TDY, once to the West Coast flying out of Travis refueling some 18 noobs doing some refueling training and another instance doing Intial Qualification training for some 16s down in Luke. Those were the scariest refuelings I have ever been involved in, and I have done it in some crazy bad weather as both the tanker and receiver.

Good times, the 18s were the first E models deploying. Later, funny enough, we worked with that same VFA while deployed. That deployment I refueled the last deployed F14 group and the first 18Es. They changed out in the middle of our deployment.

Back to the game, I would like to see 135 models with the Probe/drogue attachment on the boom and one with the MPRS.

Something else occurred to me. A fully loaded A10 struggled to maintain refueling speed in real life. Is this modeled? We had to do what we call toboggan refueling where we would start a shallow decent just so they could maintain speed.

Let me help you a bit.

Skunk Works originated as a division of Lockheed. The A-10 was built by Fairchild. The F-16 by General Dynamics. The F-15, McDonnell-Douglas.

So back to the AAR part. The Pharoah nailed it. The maps dont require AAR. So you can bypass it. Two bags of gas for the throttle heavy, a single for the more conservative. Tying up resources and overly simplifying an already simplified task (that isnt a requirement on the small maps) because people dont want to take the time to learn it, is wasteful and selfish. There are more pressing bugs to the basic functionality of the sim that are better suited for the time available. Resource optimization, visibility, netcode stability.

"People dont have the time". Thats a cop out. Instead of jumping into your Air Quake server on your limited time, setup a mission (or download one of the several free ones) dedicated to AAR and practice.

All spot on. I would like to see bigger maps where I can setup scenarios where a strike package leaves out of Bahrain or Al Dhafra and need a top off before entering the AO and after. Or a dynamic campaign that can handle something realistic like taskings. That feeling of desperation when you loiter a little to long because the guys down range need you there, and you have to get to the tanker can be as exciting as anything else in game. At least to me, and I am sure the other hardcore sim guys.

BTW, Altus huh? That brings back memories too lol.

Let me help you a bit.

Elitist BS. Thankfully your opinion (or anyone's for that matter) on what features ED should prioritise counts for nothing.

I want it to be harder too, that basket needs to move with the bow wake.

Improved AAR physics is in the works. All the more reason to make things a bit easier for those struggling.

Skunk Works originated as a division of Lockheed.

Yup that's why I called it a division and yes, I knew it was a division of Lockheed but hey, I knew I'd get schooled on these details. Whatevs

Tying up resources and overly simplifying an already simplified task (that isn't a requirement on the small maps) because people don't want to take the time to learn it, is wasteful and selfish.

Then you may want to convey your opinion to the "resources" dedicated to MAC since you feel you're so entitled. This is precisely what I'm talking about and all you've done is prove my points so thank you.

You read the manual front to back? You practiced till your eyes dried up from lack of blinking? Good for you, the cookies are in the kitchen. I sat through a lot of YouTube videos, made and tested my missions what seems like a thousand times over, not to mention the research through TWO manuals (The DCS release and Chuck's release). I did all of that to get the info I wanted from this game (lol I bet that will trigger you) and because members with your mindset either don't want to share their knowledge or probably dish it out with a little insult to the novice I decided to post some videos on YouTube to help others out... Other than polish your monocle, what have you done?

Edited by Akula
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090

This game needs a easy refuel option when doing Air-air-refuel. Like if you're within 4 feet of the refuel box, that's close enough. Can't tell you how many times I've hit the stupid refuel tube only for it to refuse a connection. It's by far the most frustrating part of the game.

I just feel like shooting down the refuel tanker when I close in, just so I can have a sense of accomplishment. God knows I'm not refueling.

Yup, I agree... Add a feature in sim mode to do it automatically just in case you're too low on gas to try again and in the middle of a huge mission with friends.

• EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090