OT: Mi-24 contractors driver

He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real battle area flying like that

Why are you so keen? Do you have any RL experience in Mi-24 tactics? All bullets in Sierra Leone were real FYI. Many people died.

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

He wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real battle area flying like that

The Hind is armour plated, an exSAS guy was in Afghanistan during the cold war supplying Stinger missiles and he wound up in a camp with the locals that got attacked by Hinds. The Hinds flew NOE and popped up firing those rockets and then just hovered over the base like they owned it. They even took ground fire from small arms and just replied using the gun on the chin turret they can take a fair bit of punishment.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

LOL, I like ROE.

"- I see them but I'm not sure if they are civilians or rebels

- Civilians are not supposed to be here

<rocket fire> <machine gun fire>"

What if it was some undocumented civilian village lol ?

Anyway he didn't seem to need all these elaborate 3D-models of ground vehicles and troops we will have in BS to identify the target.

You just see the rockets go "somewhere civilians are not supposed to be".

I guess, as a civilian, you know that you are not supposed to be somewhere when a Hind shows up :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I guess, as a civilian, you know that you are not supposed to be somewhere when a Hind shows up

So should a battle ever break out over your town you'll be walking out onto the street to make for an easier shot because by being there you've become a legitimate target ?

The guy seems pretty gung ho & casual about taking out civilians, but it's precisely that "if they're in the area they must be the enemy" attitude that the Afghan government was complaining about this week & that has led to over a hundred civilian deaths from NATO/US airstrikes/bombardment in the last week. You can't do a pinpoint strike on a home in a civilian village with an artillery peice from 20km away -unless you consider the local colatoral damage less valuable than your own troops (which of course is tempting - they are after all YOUR troops, & NO - I'm not suggesting that NATO/US are the only people do this, it's what happens in a war - doesn't make it right though.)

Cheers.

So should a battle ever break out over your town you'll be walking out onto the street to make for an easier shot because by being there you've become a legitimate target ?

The guy seems pretty gung ho & casual about taking out civilians, but it's precisely that "if they're in the area they must be the enemy" attitude that the Afghan government was complaining about this week & that has led to over a hundred civilian deaths from NATO/US airstrikes/bombardment in the last week. You can't do a pinpoint strike on a home in a civilian village with an artillery peice from 20km away -unless you consider the local colatoral damage less valuable than your own troops (which of course is tempting - they are after all YOUR troops, & NO - I'm not suggesting that NATO/US are the only people do this, it's what happens in a war - doesn't make it right though.)

Its so much damn firepower these days. Necessary if you have to fight a major European war (which would probably make Europe uninhabitable) but a bit over the top for fighting Guerillas.

I agree totally with the point: this is what happens in war. Eventually you wind up with a bunch of battle created sociopaths mixed in with the rest of the troops. Things become clinical and people forget that human beings are in the equation, who can really blame them? It is the rest of society's responsibility to managed how and how much killing takes place, what resources and ROE.

Oops, Weta, I never wanted to imply that this was right in some way or another. It just isn't, we all agree about that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]