AB FX and wing flex (flying) WiP yet?

Ala12Rv-watermanpc

Looking at last videos and screens I wonder if these 2 things are yet WiP or pretty much finished:

-Wings Flex:

Being the Tomcat, I expected to see a hell of a lot of flex in its wings (even when fully retracted), as I dont think there is any other fighter aircraft with bigger wing flexion out there due to its long, thin wings and weight (even at low speed). Watching the display video yesterday, I noticed there was "some" flex but way less than there should be according to real life footage in the same maneuvers:

1544447328-1d.jpg

1544447329-1r.jpg

1544450262-buena.jpg

1544447329-2r.jpg

Watching the videos in movement is even much more noticeable. It's kind of what happen with the Hornet, the flex seems to only affect the external portion of the wings instead of the whole wing right to the insertion with the body, something like this:

1544447497-alas-paint.jpg

1 is what DCS looks like, 2 is what it should be. As said before, all planes in DCS with wing flex seem to have the same issue so I hoped for the Tomcat to have full wings flex so I wonder if this is still being worked.

Video to watch the insane wing flex:

-Afterburner FX:

From Heatblur images and videos I noticed that the afterburner FX in the Tomcat seems to be too weak, I mean, its like its not working at full power as the color and amount of combustion reminds me to a mid-afterburner state instead of full power afterburner...according to real life images, there should be much more "fire" inside the burners when at full power:

1544447732-3d.jpg

f14_tomcat_afterburner_312332_aircraft-wallpaper.jpg

Moment-of-truth.jpg

I know the exposure of the camera would change how the burners look in photos, but overall, the burners should clearly have much more "light" and fire inside imho.

So, these are just a couple of things Im curious about after watching some footage of the module, of course, not a complain nor anything like that, but wanted to point them out in case they can be improved for the release.

thanks for your outstanding work!!:)

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

You see a multplayer aircraft. I say your plane its diffrent to the other multiplayer planes wingflex etc

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

I agree, the AB doesn't look quite right. The cone is too short for an f110 engine and it's too dark red an purple. Even to the naked eye, the exhuast can was bright orange in lit when in AB. Would be cool to see that made more realistic in the future but definitely not game breaking.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

You're viewing the display from a 2nd player on a multiplayer server, so the sync of the wings and things like flex won't be as "good" as if you were the one flying the aircraft.

I dont think the AMOUNT of wing flex has anything to do with being recorded form a multiplayer side...the AB effect maybe as I remember HB said you need the module to have full AB effects.

The AB has been the one aesthetic that's looked the most off. As said above, it just looks weak compared to the actual GE F110s. HB did a good job on the Viggen's AB so I'd expect the Tomcat to get no less treatment.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

I'm hoping the proper amount of wing flex and burner flame get prioritized about 36 months after Full Release, not pre Early Access.

+100

Systems first, candy later

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding the AB- you're comparing the in game F110-GE-400 to IRL TF-30 images. The F110 is quite visible at night and overcast conditions but not really in the daytime so much. It is also never used on the ground according to NATOPs. You should compare the video to the Nellis 2004 F-14 demo.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

What is the camera's white balance or it's exposition when taking pictures or video of the afterburners? You can't please everyone (it seems anyone) on these forums, the module is not even in early access and people are complaining about something that is extremely subjective and won't even be on the screen most of the time you are flying in the F14.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

What is the camera's white balance or it's exposition when taking pictures or video of the afterburners? You can't please everyone (it seems anyone) on these forums, the module is not even in early access and people are complaining about something that is extremely subjective and won't even be on the screen most of the time you are flying in the F14.

That photo is pretty much what it looks like to the naked eye anyone who has been around them will agree.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Your little eyeballs have a much higher dynamic range than even the latest digital cameras. Pretty sure that none of the images include aperture or film sensitivity (ASA, now ISO) information, but it really doesn't matter. No camera captures contrasting lighting conditions as well as the human eye. It would be worse if you were, say, some sort of predatory cat. ;)

The burner plumes were transparent and most of the burner liners were visible in daylight. You could even see the spray bars after burner light off on the TF30's. At night, different story. The burners were pure white and binding. If you were next on the Cat, it was in your interest to look away, or close your eyes if you dared.

Same thing with the cockpit lighting. All DCS modules that I have make seeing cockpit gauges more difficult than real life under most shadowed cockpit conditions. It's a simple limitation of the rendering of the world, and not much can be done about it. First thing I do when power is applied, is to turn on all instrument lighting, including Thunderstorm lights if available.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

Your little eyeballs have a much higher dynamic range than even the latest digital cameras. Pretty sure that none of the images include aperture or film sensitivity (ASA, now ISO)

The burner plumes were transparent and most of the burner liners were visible in daylight. You could even see the spray bars after burner light off on the TF30's. At night, different story. The burners were pure white and binding. If you were next on the Cat, it was in your interest to look away, or close your eyes if you dared.

Same thing with the cockpit lighting. All DCS modules that I have make seeing cockpit gauges more difficult than real life under most shadowed cockpit conditions. It's a simple limitation of the rendering of the world, and not much can be done about it. First thing I do when power is applied, is to turn on all instrument lighting, including Thunderstorm lights if available.

This here.

Basically there is a limit to the dynamic range that we can introduce with bright, emissive materials such as afterburner flames. I could make the interior of the exhaut a flamey blob with no detail, but it looks less compelling in-game than what we have now, believe me.

The purple-ness is getting toned down, however.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

If the only thing worth criticising is the colour of the Afterburner I would say its going to be heaven!

What I mean is, this community is relentless: we find the hair on the egg and the fifth leg on the cat as we say back in Argentina LOL

;):P:D

This here.

Basically there is a limit to the dynamic range that we can introduce with bright, emissive materials such as afterburner flames. I could make the interior of the exhaut a flamey blob with no detail, but it looks less compelling in-game than what we have now, believe me.

My man.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

If the only thing worth criticising is the colour of the Afterburner I would say its going to be heaven!

What I mean is, this community is relentless: we find the hair on the egg and the fifth leg on the cat as we say back in Argentina LOL

;):P:D

Standards must be kept!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

:doh:...From my first post: "...of course, not a complain nor anything like that..."...why cant I ask whatever I feel the need to ask with respect?, am I being rude?, Are you in charge to discern what can be asked and what cant?,Do you know how many time will the AB be in my screen?

Btw, would knowing the exact exposition values change anything?¿?¿?do you know that cameras dynamic range and exposition values are relative right??...

This here.

The intention of my post was just to point out these little things that at first I though could be WiP but after several info updates and videos I started to wonder if that would be the final look of both AB FX and wing flex, nothing more, nothing less...

I know you are doing an outstanding work with the Tomcat and are looking for the perfection so I think this things do matter for you as much as for me and others...Im glad you guys are the ones doing it so thanks for your work!.

About the dynamic range thing, I dont think it has anything to do with that, I mean, the goal should be making it look as close as possible to how the naked eye would in real life and after watching many afterburners in real life Im quite sure the one in the tomcat would look way "brighter" than that, and Im not talking about how that light would be translated into real life's light through your monitor, which would be a capability of the monitor itself (HDR tech was created to improve this), but how to transport that "exposure balance" to a SDR image. According to real life experience and well balanced pictures (even at noon), looks like the Tomcat afterburners should have more "fire" inside and thus a brighter look imho.

If it is still a work in progress thing then its ok, hope to see a better AB effect for the release.

thanks for your time!

Edited by watermanpc

Thank god someone else think those afterburners look weak. They are way too weak and missing those circles. I watched Heatblur Viggen footage and it look just as weak with poor afterburner. I hope they really improve those since those do suck big time.

I agree with watermanpc's opinion of both fx. More wing flex would be nice and seemingly appropriate from the vids I have seen so far. As for the AB, I also know that sadly HB is limited by DCS's engine. Lights of any kind and flame effects are among it's many weak points. Early on I had hopes for night cat shots such as I have seen, with some serious AB flames kicking out, illumination the carrier deck and surroundings and I know that ain't gonna be happening with the DCS engine.

I just hope HB does what they can to make it look as aggressive and correct as they can given their restrictions. Less purple in AB is a good start for sure. Turn up the flex, slap on some vapes and we will be rollin. :)

Edited by Torso