Rotation, cargo too close to trees, DCS freezes

Redglyph

DCS 2.5.3.24984 (OB)

In Rotation mission, some cargos in the first camp are too close to the trees which makes DCS freeze. I have 10-20 secondes between each frame (so about 0.1 - 0.05 FPS), as a result the helicopter crashes. This makes the rest of the campaign impossible for me, and I don't think my hardware is bad.

It was already at the limit with the previous mission (Emergency), coming back from the crash site in the fog forces the pilot to be close to the trees which makes DCS crawls.

Since 2.5, DCS doesn't manage the performance adequately when close to ground and trees, this problem should be taken into account when designing missions, unfortunately. Those trees aren't very pretty anyway ;)

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

You don't have to deliver all the cargo to proceed in the campaign. I broke 2 of 4 on landings, but still completed the mission with 80% score. To my understanding, you can only deliver only one cargo (for example, most easiest one, F4 by default, couple of light barrels), and be able to proceed.

PS What can go wrong in this mission?

1. Do not try to land the cargo TOO fuel efficient, this is how I broke one. But do not use more fuel than you must, I got emergency fuel warning right before landing at Maykop.

2. When you landing cargo near red smoke, do not listen to commands that you should move left/right/forward, just put it down where you are.

3. Watch for that oil tower when you putting cargo down.

Edited by Lehmen

Redglyph,

There is tree draw distance slider in settings. Try to use it. It's possible even in mission.

The problem occurs when the distance is very close, so I'm not sure how it would help...

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• ED Team
The problem occurs when the distance is very close, so I'm not sure how it would help...

Besides the trees there is grass. Same. Can be adjusted even in mission.

All missions were tested in 2.5 (initially campaign was made for 1.5).

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

Besides the trees there is grass. Same. Can be adjusted even in mission.

??

I have no idea what you mean. I think you didn't understand the problem.

If you want an easy fix, there is a function that allows to suppress the trees within a trigger zone, but the best would probably not to force the helicopter near trees and other collidables (besides, it's not realistic).

• ED Team
??

I have no idea what you mean. I think you didn't understand the problem.

If you want an easy fix, there is a function that allows to suppress the trees within a trigger zone, but the best would probably not to force the helicopter near trees and other collidables (besides, it's not realistic).

Trees and grass can give major impact on performance when hovering near ground. Other major load - standard shadows.

Sorry, there can be different realism levels - campaign was inspirited by real pilots memories and books. In Russia many things were happening. ;)

Best Regards, Dmitry.

"Чтобы дойти до цели, надо прежде всего идти." © О. Бальзак

I don't have any problem with grass - I doubt that a collision with grass leaves could be harmful ;)

EDIT: oh, right. I have no framerate drop anywhere else with grass, shadows and so on. Only near this particular spot.

When the helicopter is too close to trees it freezes DCS, and there is no option to remove the closest trees. So as I see it, I may as well give up on your campaign until DCS is optimized for that special type of flight.

Users who have the latest high-end CPUs and graphics card may be able to play it though.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Redglyph

• ED Team

Users who have the latest high-end CPUs and graphics card may be able to play it though.

Thanks for your help!

I have 30+ FPS in this campaign, but my computer is worse than yours. Yes, I'm able to play it.

Syst.JPG.1e5d65460804f1951fc06a80d2e8f50c.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have 30+ FPS in this campaign, but my computer is worse than yours. Yes, I'm able to play it.

And near the cargos I was talking about, no framerate drop?

That's interesting, thanks for posting those! Perhaps I was too low? It was another cargo, further near the trees and it's really happening at once, perhaps it's the difference. It's not progressive so there is no way to escape that problem once it occurs, 4 or 5 m away I'm fine with probably 30-50 FPS, and over the cargo the rendering suddenly freezes (audio remains fine).

Anyway, I see other similar reports so I know I'm not the only one. If the author cannot adapt the missions (and I don't blame him, I know that's hard work to maintain a campaign), I'll just wait for DCS to optimize the engine a little bit, it's obviously very much WIP at the moment.