For Those With Stutter-While-Flying: Check this out!

Greetings everyone,

I sorted this out while messing around for ages with my new graphics card, seems to help a *lot*, and hope it helps you.

The stutter I'm talking about is the kind you get when just flying around--the sim seems to move in a series of small jumps, instead of zipping along smoothly. I have an Nvidia graphics card, but maybe this will help for AMD ones as well. So, here goes:

1) Disable ALL normal anti-aliasing in the sim and in Nvidia Control Panel. That includes in-sim MSAA and SSAA, and all similar features in NVCP. So, no AA anywhere at all. We'll deal with the aliasing problem later.

2)Don't clamp the framerate, for example, with Rivatuner, or anything else. Let your vid card render un-constrained--this also means don't use an autoexec.cfg file (or graphics.lua) maxfps line to limit FPS.

3)Use the VSync feature IN SIM. Don't use anything else.

4)Finally, since you'll have aliasing, with all AA turned off, go to NVCP and enable Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR). I have a 2560x1440 screen, so I set my DSR Factor to 2.25x so the vid card renders the frames as if they were 4K (3840x2160) and this is the new resolution you set DCS World to in system options. Then you have the Smoothing slider to adjust-out the jaggies.

And there you have it! The sim now just flies along smoothly without jumping and stuttering, and gets really nice framerates :) DCS World's built-in AA features are framerate killers (SSAA) and they also cause stuttering (MSAA); just use DSR and you're good to go!

If you don't know what DSR is and/or how the heck you use it, it allows your graphics card to render each frame at a higher resolution than your screen, then down-scales it when it sends it to your screen. It preserves high detail and looks better than MSAA, and the Nvidia driver does a really nice job of it. For example, if you set DSR Factor to 2x, it will render twice as many pixels as your screen (if you have a 1080p screen, it will render as 4K, then scale down to send it to your screen). The DSR-Smoothness slider is now your antialiasing control :)

Just remember to go into the Options, System menu, and choose the new, higher resolution in DCS World. You may have to hit Alt-Enter to fit the new image to your screen.

And there you go!

Peace and happy warfare

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Will give it a try ... but my GPU is a bit old, lets hope it supports this technique :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Does this work for those playing in VR? I’m away at the moment but fingers crossed. If so what do we set DSR at?

I've never tried it in VR. I don't have a VR headset.

Unfortunately, some modules don't like it. It always looks really nice, but you can't click the cockpit buttons. It doesn't work in the Ka-50.

Works great in the F/A-18C, though.

The key to making the sim run smoothly is to not clamp your framerate (maxfps=60 or whatever, or Rivatuner or anything like that) and only use the sim's internal VSync option. MSAA sucks so don't use it, SSAA is a framerate killa, but so be it :) At least the clickable cockpits will work.

I could swear that DSR gives better framerates, though, and looks awesome.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

Yep this is what I'm doing also with an overclocked 1070 and it is the best solution I could find.

You might wanna look into ProcessLasso also it helped me tremendously.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

@Aluminium Donkey: My monitor is G-Syncenabled. With that, would you still use V-Sync and not G-Sync?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

If you don't know what DSR is and/or how the heck you use it, it allows your graphics card to render each frame at a higher resolution than your screen, then down-scales it when it sends it to your screen. It preserves high detail and looks better than MSAA, and the Nvidia driver does a really nice job of it. For example, if you set DSR Factor to 2x, it will render twice as many pixels as your screen (if you have a 1080p screen, it will render as 4K, then scale down to send it to your screen). The DSR-Smoothness slider is now your antialiasing control :)

AD

Hi, will give this a try .. sounds interesting..

can you pls tell if your method means any picture / eye candy quality loss ?

in other words: is enabling DSR in NVCP equally good as Anti Aliasing setting in game ?

cheers

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

in other words: is enabling DSR in NVCP equally good as Anti Aliasing setting in game ?

It's just another method of AA. Performance cost and looks depends on your DSR settings.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

@Aluminium Donkey: My monitor is G-Syncenabled. With that, would you still use V-Sync and not G-Sync?

I'd try G-Sync first, since you forked over a ton of bread for it :) G-Sync causes the monitor to refresh only after it has been fed a new frame by the graphics card, so if the frame rate is uneven, it may cause motion jitter. You'd have to try it and see--after than, disable G-Sync and use the in-sim VSync, and see if it's smoother.

Pick whichever one is better :)

I'd suspect that either one will work best if the framerate is not clamped in any external software. You can try using both G and V sync together, but it shouldn't be needed and might cause other problems.

AD

Kit:

Hi, will give this a try .. sounds interesting..

cheers

DSR is better. It preserves fine detail by pre-rendering the scene at higher resolution and then downscaling it to fit your monitor. It's easier on the graphics card than MSAA as well, I'm just trying to sort out how to get it to work in DCS without causing problems with the clickable cockpits (Ka-50 doesn't like to work with DSR because the click map doesn't line up with the visual representation of the cokpit buttons & switches). DSR also has a Smoothness slider in NVCP, which acts like a continuously-variable antialiasing control, and is very nice to use.

Of course, a real 4K display would probably be best, but I already blew all my cash on a used GTX 1080 Ti :)

AD

Kit:

It's just another method of AA. Performance cost and looks depends on your DSR settings.

Yes, but it gives better image quality and better control than the built-in AA in the sim--and it's easier on framerates too.

Mighty shame about incompatibility with the Ka-50 clickable cockpit. The visual cockpit and the clickable representation of it are scaled differently when you use DSR so you can't click the buttons & switches in the Ka-50 when using DSR (seems to work fine with the Hornet, though, havne't tried any others yet).

Imma try selecting the Fullscreen option in the sim (instead of my usual Alt-Enter) to see if the Ka-50 cockpit work with that.

AD

Kit:

Hi!

I wanted to try DSR in DCS with my 1080Ti but this option is not listed in my Nvidia control panel... It is only listed in global mode(for all the softwares but not in 3D parameters for DCS)

Even with Nvidia Inspector I don't find DSR option.

Is there a trick for that?

Ok so I found 2 DSR options in the NVCP list

- DSR factor

-DSR smooting

the line "DSR smooting" is light grey in the settings and thus not availalbe , clickable for me !

any advice ?

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Ok so I found 2 DSR options in the NVCP list

- DSR factor

-DSR smooting

the line "DSR smooting" is light grey in the settings and thus not availalbe , clickable for me !

any advice ?

You have to select a DSR Factor before the Smoothing option becomes available.

DSR Factors = the number of pixels your physical screen has, times a factor. This gives you the number of pixels the graphics card will render the scene as.

For example, with a 1080p screen, and select 4x as a factor, the video card will render 4 times as many pixels as a 1920x1080 screen has--it will render as 4K, then down-scale the finished frames for 1080p. In order to work, you must first select the new resolution (3840x2160) in DCS World or whatever you're running in DSR.

Finally, the Smoothing slider becomes available and adjusts how sharp the image is. I find adding a bit makes the HUD and displays look better, but too much makes averything fuzzy.

AD

Kit:

All of my stuttering comes from interactions or object count. Eliminating AA may mitigate the problem but definitely isn't the root cause of it. I think if anything lowering AA settings will give you a higher frame rate overall, but doesn't solve stuttering. I hope Vulkan API is the solution to it, but if it is not... DCS will end for me :(

Will give it a try ... but my GPU is a bit old, lets hope it supports this technique :)

Well, first of all: Thank you a lot :) ... it did in fact results on a smoother DCS.

For some reason, my DCS doesnt allow me to reach 4K resolution in spite of having set DSR to 2x ... this is the highest it will go:

xhYwfnT.jpg

perhaps, its because my GPU isnt powerful enough or with enough Vram, as I use a modest GTX970.

I did have to activate the Scale GUI option, in order to have a legible UI.

The overall fps is about the same as before, but it feels smoother :D

I also tried this with my Oculus Rift and fortunately these settings are ignored by the VR, so I can keep editing missions on 2D, and flying on VR when the mission is finished :)

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

You have to select a DSR Factor before the Smoothing option becomes available.

DSR Factors = the number of pixels your physical screen has, times a factor. This gives you the number of pixels the graphics card will render the scene as.

For example, with a 1080p screen, and select 4x as a factor, the video card will render 4 times as many pixels as a 1920x1080 screen has--it will render as 4K, then down-scale the finished frames for 1080p. In order to work, you must first select the new resolution (3840x2160) in DCS World or whatever you're running in DSR.

Finally, the Smoothing slider becomes available and adjusts how sharp the image is. I find adding a bit makes the HUD and displays look better, but too much makes averything fuzzy.

AD

Well Im playing DCS on a regular 1080p screen in 1920x1080 resolution , so which DSR Factor is suited best for me ? Sry for maybe asking noob style , but als this re - rendnering and re-calculation thing doesnt mean a thing to me

Well Im playing DCS on a regular 1080p screen in 1920x1080 resolution , so which DSR Factor is suited best for me ? Sry for maybe asking noob style , but als this re - rendnering and re-calculation thing doesnt mean a thing to me

You can use any factor you want, but even numbers are believed to be better for some reason, so 2 or 4.

When you select a DSR Factor, your graphics card renders that many pixels compared to your physical monitor. For example, 1920x1080 has so many pixels (2,073,600) and setting DSR Factor to 2 will render double that amount, setting it to 4 will render 4 times that amount.

Try 2x first, then see if 4x is better. You can just select all of them in NVCP and try them out one at a time in the sim.

After choosing your DSR Factor(s), start DCS and select that new resolution (higher than your screen). You might have to hit Alt-Enter to get it to scale right.

AD

Kit:

Well, first of all: Thank you a lot :) ... it did in fact results on a smoother DCS.

For some reason, my DCS doesnt allow me to reach 4K resolution in spite of having set DSR to 2x ... this is the highest it will go:

perhaps, its because my GPU isnt powerful enough or with enough Vram, as I use a modest GTX970.

I did have to activate the Scale GUI option, in order to have a legible UI.

The overall fps is about the same as before, but it feels smoother :D

I also tried this with my Oculus Rift and fortunately these settings are ignored by the VR, so I can keep editing missions on 2D, and flying on VR when the mission is finished :)

Best regards

This is right if your physical screen is 1920x1080.

2x doesn't mean it doubles the number of rows and columns of pixels, that would be 4x, not 2!

2x means your graphics card renders twice the number of pixels as your screen. So, if you have a 1920x1080 screen, the correct DSR resolution is 2715x1527.

If you set it to 4x, it'll be 3840x2160.

AD

Kit:

I understand ... will try it out tomorrow :)

I set the MFAA on in NVCP, MSAA 2X in DCS Option. Techically the MFAA would replace the ingame MSAA, and achieve 4X pure MSAA effect. And one more important thing, use the fast vsync, and clamp the fps to 60 in autoexe.cfg. Such setting also bring a smooth experience for me. BTW, my rig is 8700K+1080TI, 2560x1440 resolution.

I set the MFAA on in NVCP, MSAA 2X in DCS Option. Techically the MFAA would replace the ingame MSAA, and achieve 4X pure MSAA effect. And one more important thing, use the fast vsync, and clamp the fps to 60 in autoexe.cfg. Such setting also bring a smooth experience for me. BTW, my rig is 8700K+1080TI, 2560x1440 resolution.

I find clamping the framerate externally (either with autoexec.cfg maxfps or Rivatuner) always causes jittery movement. MSAA causes it too.

Leaving the framerate unconstrained and using in-game vertical sync works best for me. My system specs are below.

AD

Kit:

WOW! What a difference! It even smoothed out my TIR. None of the continuous little pauses as I scan the environment around me.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.