F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If history is any indication, it won't happen this year. Cobra, and his group, has never hit a single target date. Not once.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Another release thread?:doh:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

If history is any indication, it won't happen this year. Cobra, and his group, has never hit a single target date. Not once.

Overly harsh. December was what they hoped for but their official target was this winter, which includes some of next year. It’s people like you who really make me understand why devs decide not to communicate with the community as much as they could.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Overly harsh. December was what they hoped for but their official target was this winter, which includes some of next year. It’s people like you who really make me understand why devs decide not to communicate with the community as much as they could.

I didn’t read it as “Harsh” it really is just a fact.

AFAIK a module has never been released unnannounced, always there has been a week / two week / four week heads up with an exact date. If they dont announce anything before next week this day, its probably not going to be here before Christmas.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

last 20 days for this year and not much stuff to proove that it is imminent.

so it is very unlikely for this year

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

True statement! Gamers can be rather toxic to developers at times. TBH I'm surprised EAs are still a thing seeing as how hostile people get when things aren't up to the level they expect them to be.

It's mind boggling how they were predicting a release last Christmas and here we are a year later and still no Tomcat. Why are they so hesitant to release it? Look at the Hornet and what state it was released in and what it's current state is. I feel another year gone by hurts Heatblur's reputation more than just finally releasing it in whatever state it's in. I am beginning to question Heatblur's ability to give us a quality representation of the F-14. I hope I am proven wrong.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

It's mind boggling how they were predicting a release last Christmas and here we are a year later and still no Tomcat. Why are they so hesitant to release it? Look at the Hornet and what state it was released in and what it's current state is. I feel another year gone by hurts Heatblur's reputation more than just finally releasing it in whatever state it's in. I am beginning to question Heatblur's ability to give us a quality representation of the F-14. I hope I am proven wrong.

You make a lot of assumptions, there may be reasons outside HBs control as to why they couldn't release the F-14, possibly like ED planning to release the F-18 shortly afterwards and not wanting to have competing products. We also know that the F-14 will be much more complete than the Hornet was upon release so that year may have been the difference between releasing it in true EA ( Like the Hornet, most of the stuff not working) and a much more polished version. The other option is that they were just optimistic with their estimates, they may have run into difficult bugs and issues which took them a long time to nail down and fix. These things do happen with big, complex, interconnected projects like this. None of this should make you doubt their ability to get it finished. Talking as somebody who's been involved in very similar projects, the really annoying thing about doing something like this is that you don't know how long it actually takes to do until AFTER you've completed it. So you can make predictions, deadlines and whatever else but sometimes it just takes longer than expected for 1000 different reasons.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You make a lot of assumptions, there may be reasons outside HBs control as to why they couldn't release the F-14, possibly like ED planning to release the F-18 shortly afterwards and not wanting to have competing products. We also know that the F-14 will be much more complete than the Hornet was upon release so that year may have been the difference between releasing it in true EA ( Like the Hornet, most of the stuff not working) and a much more polished version. The other option is that they were just optimistic with their estimates, they may have run into difficult bugs and issues which took them a long time to nail down and fix. These things do happen with big, complex, interconnected projects like this. None of this should make you doubt their ability to get it finished. Talking as somebody who's been involved in very similar projects, the really annoying thing about doing something like this is that you don't know how long it actually takes to do until AFTER you've completed it. So you can make predictions, deadlines and whatever else but sometimes it just takes longer than expected for 1000 different reasons.

Well said and thank you for giving me a different perspective.

I believe that threads like this keep popping up though because communication could be better and much more clear...especially now that we have actually paid for the Tomcat. Tell us why there is a delay and/or what the actual hold up is to releasing it. I think the majority of us would be understanding and much more tolerant and supportive of delays if we knew what was actually going on.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I believe that threads like this keep popping up though because communication could be better and much more clear...especially now that we have actually paid for the Tomcat. Tell us why there is a delay and/or what the actual hold up is to releasing it. I think the majority of us would be understanding and much more tolerant and supportive of delays if we knew what was actually going on.

Wow that's a good point man! I already spent a gigaton of funds on the old modules so not looking to buy the 'cat anytime soon although I know people around me will be flying it and it's gonna be great fun for everyone involved.

But I can understand a few people paying for it and now it taking way longer than they expected... there will be a few drops of sweat on somebody's forehead. I'm just amazed at how calm the community is keeping! :shocking: Probably something to do with HB's excellent reputation - there's the Viggen and so and funny how nobody is even asking why they spend effort on Viggen when there is the 'cat to finish :D

There are many different approaches how to handle PR as I've explained in some other thread. HB's approach seems to be working to me.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Hmm, all this is taking me back to this time last year. The feelings and expectations where very similar weren't they :music_whistling: Though I can more confidently say we are closer to release than we certainly were compared to last year it seems. Makes you think how truly far off they were 12 months ago when a release was promised. Quality like what HB offer really does take time it seems, can't wait for them to get the monkey off their back and a well earned break to ensue. Whether that's this year or not I don't know, but it will be glorious for both them and us the customers.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."