** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 **

Cobra847

Great stuff! Thanks for another awesome update! :thumbup:

Just one question: Can you please go into a little more detail about what this is supposed to mean:

• Dynamic cockpit system:
    this system represents a significant layer of complexity (though it may not seem like it) - and may be disabled on day 1 to avoid any unfortunate issues.

Is this related to multicrewing or what exactly is the dynamic cockpit system supposed to be?
Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff! Thanks for another awesome update! :thumbup:

Just one question: What exactly is the following supposed to mean?

Is this related to multicrewing?

It's not; it's related to the cockpit (rio and pilot) of the plane changing depending on the specific airframe you're flying.

It's not; it's related to the cockpit (rio and pilot) of the plane changing depending on the specific airframe you're flying.

Oh, gotcha. Thanks! I was a bit worried for a moment there, but that's alright then :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

More developers need the "it will be ready when it's ready" mentality, kudos to you guys for sticking to it.

Or maybe less of a community that is "I wan't it now, now, now!!" so developers don't feel the pressure to release an unfinished product? :megalol: But really encouraging to know that we're going to get an unprecedented level of F-14 simulation!

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Looking spectacular, can't wait! :)

- - - - - -

Question about the knobs/switches (square ones with round thingy in the middle) - do you twist them? Pull? Push? Are they ON-OFF or multi position? They seem bit weird - but I suppose they are meant for easy identification whether something is on or off just by glancing at the shape? Also they seem to be so close to eachother that it looks like the next button over would be in the way of using the other?

I think I've seen them on other older US planes too. Can anyone shed little more light to those knobs?

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Looking spectacular, can't wait! :)

- - - - - -

Question about the knobs/switches (square ones with round thingy in the middle) - do you twist them? Pull? Push? Are they ON-OFF or multi position? They seem bit weird - but I suppose they are meant for easy identification whether something is on or off just by glancing at the shape? Also they seem to be so close to eachother that it looks like the next button over would be in the way of using the other?

I think I've seen them on other older US planes too. Can anyone shed little more light to those knobs?

Push button, from reading the NATOPS some buttons could be half pushed, but that made me wonder how the hang you would do that in a hard manoeuvring aircraft :huh:

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

I can not not say that I feel disappointed but sad.

In all the interviews and publications of the year, you announced that the launch of early access would happen in 2018, and not a few. It's a shame to come now and know that it's only coming in March.

And yes, these delays are going to the last possible date.

Sad, I can not come here and say that I'm happy, now and wait, and hope to get on the new date announced.

I still wish the HT team all the best, and since then, a good Christmas and a happy new year

Intel i7 7700K | ASUS MAXIMUN IX Hero | GSkill RBG 3000mhz 32G(4x8G) | MSI Trio 1080ti | 1x M.2 SSD Samsung 960PRO 512G | 1 x WesterDigital 4T | Corsair AX-850W | Monitor Alienware 34" aw3418dw | Oblisidian 800D |CORSAIR H80 | Teclado Logitech G15 |Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite | Trackir 5 + Clip pro | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Pedal MFG Crosswind

Thanks for your hard work Heatblur. We really appreciate you bucking the trend of early access and making it a relatively complete product on launch. Of course, we expect minor issue (hence early access). I'm sure that the F-14 will be one of the Gold standard Full Fidelity modules. Great Work!

FC3 | A-10C | AV-8B N/A | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16CM | P-51D | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV

Persian Gulf | Normandy | WWII Assets | Combined Arms

Specs: Intel i7 6700K OC, Geforce GTX 1060 OC, 16GB RAM, ASRock Z170 Pro4, HDD + SSD, Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS HOTAS,Oculus Rift CV1, TrackIR 5 (With LukeClip)

Wishlist: F-111G Aardvark | AH-64D/E Apache | UH-60 Blackhawk | F-4E Phantom II

Not Likely: F/A-18F Super Hornet

Unit: 85th Squadron [borderline Tactical]

https://discord.gg/e5hDyjA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Push button, from reading the NATOPS some buttons could be half pushed, but that made me wonder how the hang you would do that in a hard manoeuvring aircraft :huh:

I just wonder about the button orientation, some are squares and some are 'diamonds' - indicating that they could be turned? Just speculating though.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Optimization: With the F-14; we’ll be introducing some novel ways to improve DCS performance with many Tomcats on screen.

This should help alleviate some of the performance impact of decks full of Tomcats. We’re also introducing new ways to try and reduce performance overhead in a complex dual cockpit through the use of lod proxies. Generally, the F-14 will be heavier in a 1:1 comparison to other aircraft due to its complexity, but it will win in other key areas- which we think will balance the scale.

We will be doing detailed benchmarks on DCS performance with the Tomcat and presenting our results soon

Is there any recent tests you can share with concerns to bench marking? We all know DCS eats frames like no tomorrow, Can you imagine jumping on the Persian gulf map we already lose frames there on the ground then more complex stuff, You guys did say working on a new net code (I think)? But you guys must still use the ED one becuase thats the only one? If you guys did make a new one im assuming its shared with ED, Warping and desync is rife in multi player.

Having expressed my concerns, The F-14 looks something else and personally cant wait to fly it.

Edited by Coxy_99

Just pre-ordered... and after reading the OP from this thread I kind of feel bad I waited so long. Amazing job and great customer oriented attitude from Heatblur :thumbup:

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

One request. Please give us month by month support on the F-14 even if you start developing another plane. The six months of minor support on the Viggen during your 6 month grind on developing the F-14 was painful. I know I shouldn't have bought the Viggen at that time but didn't know it had become broken and wasn't going to get support until the F-14 was near completion.

On the good side though I am super excited for the F-14 and no matter what I will support almost all developers of DCS so long as they support us back :). Thanks for doing a wonderful job on my favorite simulator.

One of the core tenets that we’re adhering to with the F-14 is to put quality ahead of specific release dates.

I’ve repeated this plenty (ad nauseum for you all, no doubt) - but quality comes first.

Exactly !! Take your time,no problems, we´ll wait. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Top notch, as always, guys. Looking forward to it.

Make sure that everyone takes their deserved time off to be with family and relax around the holidays, you all deserve it. Even a community as impatient as this one can wait a bit longer. Despite how some of us act, it’s really not the end of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I was dreaming of spending the christmas holiday, but i'm totally agree with your approach to guarantee an high quality level.

For what we have seen untill now however, the F14 already seems far ahead of many other airplanes!

Good works man! keep us updated and try to give us a really cool present for Christmas!!

Thanks HB!

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Optimization: With the F-14; we’ll be introducing some novel ways to improve DCS performance with many Tomcats on screen.

This should help alleviate some of the performance impact of decks full of Tomcats. We’re also introducing new ways to try and reduce performance overhead in a complex dual cockpit through the use of lod proxies. Generally, the F-14 will be heavier in a 1:1 comparison to other aircraft due to its complexity, but it will win in other key areas- which we think will balance the scale.

We will be doing detailed benchmarks on DCS performance with the Tomcat and presenting our results soon

Is there any recent tests you can share with concerns to bench marking? We all know DCS eats frames like no tomorrow, Can you imagine jumping on the Persian gulf map we already lose frames there on the ground then more complex stuff, You guys did say working on a new net code (I think)? But you guys must still use the ED one becuase thats the only one? If you guys did make a new one im assuming its shared with ED, Warping and desync is rife in multi player.

Having expressed my concerns, The F-14 looks something else and personally cant wait to fly it.

Hey Coxy,

there are no benchmarks as such yet, but I can tell you that it is frequently flown on a 760, old CPU, 16GB RAM and on PG, and while with an old rig like that you might have to set your settings to medium, even now, in its not yet completely optimized state, this setup yields consistantly between 45 and 60 FPS, depending on mission heaviness.

Apart from that we are also testing it on high range, medium range and low range input devices in order to get a good picture how she does across the board of plausible systems today.

As for the netcode, you might have heard that wrong, netcode is ED side, and not us.

S!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Dont suppose we could get to see some of the Iranian skins for the kitty yet, could we?

The Iranian skins are for the A version, at the moment we're still talking B version only, in that sense Iranian skins will be shown later, once the A version gets introduced. :)

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/