My 1st impressions of VR to real world flying/sailing

Alligin

I'm a newb to VR. Yesterday in fact.

I'd just like to share my 1st impressions regarding the feeling of motion.

I'm not a pilot but have spent 100's of hours in one as a parachute instructor. I also have the use of a boat when on holidays.

1st the boat. When I'm on water you feel the rise n fall of the waves as well as roll of the boat. After a few hrs or so when I get back to dry land I feel as if I'm still at sea. The world is still moving even though I'm on dry land.

That is exactly the same feeling when I take the VR off. It lasts for around 10 mins in both cases.

As an ex parachute instructor I had to dispatch students. 1 out per pass of the airfield. Normally a pilot will turn left for each and every pass. The brain gets used to left turns. Once all the jumpers are gone I either stay or jump depending how busy it is. If I stay the pilot pulls a bit of G and stays in left hand turns..... It's his seat... Better view. (occasionally if he's being mischievous he'll push the nose forward) I'm not strapped in. And for a few precious seconds I float off the floor and become weightless.

When we land and I walk out of the aircraft..... The world is still going left for a while.

To that end I'd say the rift is doing a good job regarding the feeling of motion.

Edited by Alligin

I'm a newb to VR. Yesterday in fact.

I'd just like to share my 1st impressions regarding the feeling of motion.

I'm not a pilot but have spent 100's of hours in one as a parachute instructor. I also have the use of a boat when on holidays.

1st the boat. When I'm on water you feel the rise n fall of the waves as well as roll of the boat. After a few hrs or so when I get back to dry land I feel as if I'm still at sea. The world is still moving even though I'm on dry land.

That is exactly the same feeling when I take the VR off. It lasts for around 10 mins in both cases.

As an ex parachute instructor I had to dispatch students. 1 out per pass of the airfield. Normally a pilot will turn left for each and every pass. The brain gets used to left turns. Once all the jumpers are gone I either stay or jump depending how busy it is. If I stay the pilot pulls a bit of G and stays in left hand turns..... It's his seat... Better view. (occasionally if he's being mischievous he'll push the nose forward) I'm not strapped in. And for a few precious seconds I float off the floor and become weightless.

When we land and I walk out of the aircraft..... The world is still going left for a while.

To that end I'd say the rift is doing a good job regarding the feeling of motion.

Yes it's amazing what the brain fills in to make what you perceive visually in VR feel "real" of course you don't get the G's of being in a aircraft which probably would slow down a lot of the jet jockeys with some of the manoeuvres I see. To that end motion platforms and VR would likely be as close as you can get at home.

Love that zero G feeling doing vertical stalls. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

The VR experience has so many positive improvements over trying to use a flat monitor with Track IR. It is by far more immersive. But the reduced resolution and visual quality is a tremendous loss. I tend to alternate every month between flying 2D with TrackIR and VR to enjoy the strong points of both. If the hardware reaches the power/speed to give me full field of view AND a resolution/visual quality superior to 2D monitors, I won't ever want to leave VR. But in the mean time, I like to enjoy 1080p on a 46-inch LCD TV and am about to upgrade to a large 4K monitor once nVidia releases its BFG display and I can decide between that or a 55-inch LG OLED TV or a 65-inch TCL LED LCD TV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]