Vive: Coloured big box on left eye after last Open Beta update

itarrow

After updating to last Open Beta rel, on SteamVR beta as well, I am getting big coloured box on left eye (yellow or red or white). I am with a Vive.

It happens just on DCS, so it’s something specific.

I will document it better later on when I can, I just would like to see now if I am alone...

Additional details: the big coloured box obscuring left side happens after moving the visor (at game start it's not there).

It appears and remains behind game menus (ie mission start or pause) but in front of cockpit.

It moves with the headset always covering the same view area.

See attached images for reference.

Last Open Beta, SteamVR Beta 1.2.3, using Vive on Harrier and Hornet modules .

image1.thumb.jpeg.3b704e2c2a9dabd1f0647c1c00dfcea3.jpeg

image2.thumb.jpeg.ae165f9bd0d192fdaa30fdd36322eed4.jpeg

image4.thumb.jpeg.786da84e9e7aeb0c2cae4ad45d30e327.jpeg

Edited by itarrow

reset supersampling on steam VR, to 100%, start dcs, play an instant action to make sure.. then if it works, u can close and back the supersampling for whatever value you had..

Worked for me with a samsung odyssey+ and a buddy with the vive pro

Tried cleaning up shaders, repairing launcher, changing settings in SteamVR, changing settings in DCS, changing modules.

The only way to get rid of the big coloured box is to switch to NON VR. In VR, the big coloured box is there regardless of modules or settings.

It changes size becoming bigger (and obstructing all front area, not just left) if I decrease super sampling within DCS options. I usually use 2.5 and with that I enjoy the obstruction you see in the screenshots. If I decrease to less than 2, the coloured obstruction obstructs pretty much all the front view.

Not sure what to test or add more, hope this issue will be recognised while I’ll enjoy holidays without DCS :-(

Edited by itarrow

I stand corrected.

Within DCS VR Options, Supersampling below 1.6 get rids of the big coloured obstruction and everything works fine.

Anything above 1.7 brings in the big coloured obstruction.

Even if I set supersampling at below 1.6 and get rid of issues, if I get back to above 1.6 the issue gets back there...

It seems to be a supersampling issue...

I've ended up rolling back to 2.5.3 and it all works properly again. I am surprised there is no announcement or acknowledgement from ED about this as there must be quite a lot of people with Vive / Pro with this issue. Will wait for an official fix.

No problems other than black flickering occasionally with my Rift machines but I understand this is only with water detail high. Love water high with VR, medium just doesn't do it for me.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Possible solution

I've experianced the same issue: shortly after starting DCS openbeta (2.5.4.25729, via Steam) in the main menu the blob appears, starting red, changind to yellow and then to white. I've tried running SteamVR as most recent stable, as well as SteamVR beta, happens with both.

I'm using nvidia 1080 ti (driver: 417.35) and Vive Pro.

Possible solution:

I've started playing with some graphics settings within DCS. When I increased the pixel density (VR Tab) to al value larger than 1.5 the blob appears, for 1.5 and below this value it seems to be fine.

Edited by Arsonist
Added type of VR headset.

I opened a ticket on the matter FYI

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Just chiming into say I'm not experiencing this even when turning the PD up to 1.8 or higher. More info - i'm not running any mods. Ran a dcs repair after the update as I usually would. Perhaps it's because I backed up my input folder and deleted the config folder in saved games?

Latest nvidia drivers, and all the latest windows updates and system drivers as well.

That being said - I have no idea what I've done differently than other posters in this thread. I thought it might be a vive only thing but gladman's running an odyssey too.

The fact that I'm not getting the white box says to me something can be fixed somewhere at the user end.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Weird. Did a repair and cleaned shaders etc as well. Any SS above 1.6 (within DCS VR options) privided the big box you see in my second post screenshots.

Are you on SteamVR BETA ?

I'm opted out of beta at the moment.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I'm opted out of beta at the moment.

So maybe it is related to SteamVR Beta 1.2.3....

Now I am far from my PC for a few days, so can’t check if anything improves by switching to SteamVR “stable”... if anybody else can check good, otherwise I will do it as soon as I am back...

Same problem with Pimax5k+, steamvr 1.1.4, no mods, latest dcs beta. No amount of SS or PD tweaking did anything. Complete machine/win10 restart fixed it, for now….

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

Same issue here... will try the SS and see what happens.

EDIT:

No effect... still seeing the white square.

This is the only game having the issue.

The Full Release works fine.

Edited by Heater

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System:

Windows 10 (64 bit)

64 GB Memory

CPU i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

GTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition

HTC VIVE

• ED Team

Please attach a short (10..15 sec) track.

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

Please attach a short (10..15 sec) track.

I will do it, anyway please consider that (if I remember correctly) even on track the colored box appears depending on the SS setting (above 1.6 = colored box) so not sure if it can be significant... this was one of the reasons I have attached screenshots instead.

I just did the update and ran into the same problem with my Vive Pro. For whatever reason if I set the pixel density (Settings/VR tab) to 1.8 or lower it ceases for me. I hope it helps someone.

Now if I could figure out what program uses space to center my headset view (never happened before today) so I can check out the training missions.....

I just did the update and ran into the same problem with my Vive Pro. For whatever reason if I set the pixel density (Settings/VR tab) to 1.8 or lower it ceases for me. I hope it helps someone.

Yep, same here. Either have to reduce PD or Steam SS value to fix the white box issue.

I started another thread on this not realising this one was about the same issue!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Fixed in today's update!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box