Refuel probe issues.

Madeyes

Hi guys.

I posted this in the wrong place so I’m reposting it here.

I’m 15 year ex Harrier engineer & as soon as I sat in the module & selected the probe I thought it was modelled incorrectly. It’s taken me awhile to find the right picture to prove it but I’ve managed it.

I’ve trid to line the screenshot up with the real picture so the intake is in perfect alignment to the camera position. As you can see the probes is far to short compares tomthe real jet.

It’s irrelevant that it’s an AV8B compared to a GR7.

AAR in the Harrier is quite difficult & seemingly a lot harder than it should be.

Hopefully this can be rectified.

C3EADD5D-D459-4A28-B0C4-51D989915ADE.jpeg.8927f0d87fe33d918ff02f2e19f87aa8.jpeg

ABABDA7D-91A3-4C63-9CCE-30D19AC15D08.jpeg.fb6f5e0979c695a635499d9045a17ec2.jpeg

Looking at it the support arm is clearly not as far forward as in your photo. May be part of the problem

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

• 2 months later...

I think OP is right. The probe should be more forward when extended. It looks like the telescopic part does not extend as far as on the real aircraft:

Drpwoma.jpg

J0CSr5Y.jpg

You can also try to orient the probe in the same way as on the angled photos. The probe is close to reference fuselage parts, so camera FOV and distance does not matter much. For example here the tip of the probe touches canopy frame on both picture, note how the real picture is at much smaller angle.

1fiKSOD.jpg

UFBlZ27.jpg

And here the top of the probe touches pilot's seat. The real photo is taken from a slightly frontal angle, but in DCS you have to look at the Harrier from a rear angle to see the probe overlap with the seat.

NtSSNK6.jpg

4pAe1EV.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Not the exact right angle but looks the same to me. Besides, OP already said that it shouldn't matter wheter it's AV8B and GR.7

h9x1eAG.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks Cornelius, that's a very good photo. So to compare them next to each other, even though these are not the same angles and camera FOV, it's obvious that the probe tip is too far back relative to pilot's head.

4pAe1EV.jpg

130117-M-MB894-002.JPG

Edited by some1

There is another thread with the same topic and something is very off with the cockpit-intakeedge-probe relation. I lined up horizontally the two images-dcs and real - (weatherwane tip and the tip of the very end of the plane). This was the image with the best angle from the side i could find. Look where the intake edge intersects the canopy. Look where the probe tip is in relation to the canopy. Compare the intake edge angle regarding to a vertical line on both. Either the cockpit is way too in front...or is something else, but its not accurate.

And there was a third thread about these issues (with other discrepancies), but that was quickly deleted and considered "problem solved", so i don't have high hopes that this issues will ever be adresed.

14780746_001_dcs_linedup.thumb.JPG.c17e4d9a01ceedcef2425b232c0ccf9c.JPG

708034589_002_real_linedup.thumb.JPG.21f8d4e2f66ce62f875546c85e707210.JPG

003_dcs_marked.thumb.JPG.c750213e9b4bd645aa7bae2346fb7dd7.JPG

004_real_marked.thumb.JPG.1e286418ed3a4286c3e96da64fa6316a.JPG

This makes sense too. Where the probe is now makes contact like you’re using the force with those old Jedi mind tricks.

With the probe further forward it’s a bit more in the pilot FOV and not so disoriented. Thank you sir for pointing this out. Great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: WOW! Kewl! I suddenly feel about 4 feet more virile :D

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Well Im glad i waited to get better at AAR in the harrier. But since its a marine harrier shouldnt it be green?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Great news Decoy - any chance of an image from the cockpit looking forward?

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

Nice ! Thanks Decoy !

It's becoming well organized here since you've joined the party.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Just FYI, today's beta does not have this fix. :music_whistling:

Before you delete the comment as you usually do, it is not true. Capture taken right now after the update.

Is there no one to moderate the moderator before he moderates the post ??

En cristinano:

Antes de que borres el comentario como sueles hacer, no es verdad. Captura tomada ahora mismo después de la actualización.

No hay alguien que modere al moderador antes de que el modere los post??

probe.thumb.PNG.bbaa46a9937fd38d27158f9f0d70a400.PNG

Edited by Fisu_MAD

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro