11.6 Gig Update Oh My!

Menessis

Sadly where I live I don't have any Hi speed internet provider. And so these big updates are killing me. I have to pick up the pc and drive into town to a friends place to do the updates.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use an external drive to save an update and plug it in at home to do it.

Maybe do a full install on the external drive and then move the entire install over to the pc.

Or do I just have to move into town?

Thanks

Menessis

Sadly where I live I don't have any Hi speed internet provider. And so these big updates are killing me. I have to pick up the pc and drive into town to a friends place to do the updates.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use an external drive to save an update and plug it in at home to do it.

Maybe do a full install on the external drive and then move the entire install over to the pc.

Thanks

Menessis

Just move into town.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I managed to download Nevada at a friends by signing in and installing the whole sim onto a portable drive then copying the relevant files across onto my home pc. Perhaps you could do this will the entire DCS folder followed by a repair if needed.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Thanks

Menessis

Same issue here

You can try copying .torrent files of the update on a USB stick or something, get somewhere with a nice internet connection, download torrents, get back home, copy the update on the right sub-folder in your DCS install, start the updater again, it should detect the files :thumbup:

Edit: You can find .torrent files in "DCS World\_downloads\.torrents", but you have to start to download the update to get them. It's also in this folder that you'll have to paste downloaded files.

Edited by cypc

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

Thanks

Menessis

Why not install DCS on the external drive, so when big updates/patches occurs, you can only bring the drive at your friend and update it there, easier than your entire PC?

I did some more digging. This is something I found.

=====================================================

How to install DCS without Internet on PC ? (or traffic issues on PC)

Due to the rather large volume of the simulator there are often questions about copying of DCS World, which is already downloaded on another computer. "Frontal" way of copying might work, but sooner or later it will end up in a complete reinstall.

How to properly and safely do this:

1. Copy the existing module to any temporary location (external Flash Drive), preserving the folder structure of simulator (for example, E:\DCSCopy\).

2. Create in the root directory of the DCS simulator the text file with the title: dcs_local_source.txt

3. The contents of the file is the path to a temporary directory, in this case (UTF-8!): E:\DCSCopy\

4. Run DCS World web installer and follow the installation process. The Updater will read the dcs_local_source.txt file and find your existing files, compare the version numbers, download all the required and will install it correctly.

5. After installation of DCS World on second PC, you can delete the temporary directory.

==========================================================

Menessis

DL Updates

Im wondering how many other People are in the same position that I am in. I have a slow metered Internet. I only get 15 gig a month! That is the ONLY IP available to me.

So its a problem with Win10 and DCS updates!

It seems reasonable to me that If DCS would allow me to DL the update files from a friends place with hi speed all I would need to do is put it on a flash drive and go home. Place those files in the correct directory and run the updater.

I ran this by DCS and all they told me to do is to copy the entire updated install and then copy that into my pc. I don't think that is a vialble solution. 128 gig install would require an external SSD and some time to move all those files. And the fact that I don't know any one around with DCS.

Link to my other thread about this---->https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=227642&highlight=menessis

If enough people asked DCS would see that it may be a good idea to allow us to update with a link to the update zip files.

Thanks Menessis

Edited by Menessis

There should not be any risk if you handle your disk carefully ;)

After you are back home you could run a DCS repair (dcs_updater.exe repair) to validate the game files but there should not be any issues.

There is only one thing which *could* be an issue and that is the windows registry.

There is some product information under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics (there are others too, for example there is one from LN for the mig21). If an update changes some keys or values you would need to add them manually on your own PC. No big deal since you can export registry keys but you need to realize changes there. I am not sure, maybe I would ignore this until I get some trouble related to this.

In case you want to be safe you could compare related keys and values or export them after you updated on your friends PC, just in case. But be careful not to modify things you do not know in the registry, it can be quiet easy to kill the PC changing the wrong things ;)

I really really really feel for the capped internet people, I am almost ashamed how accustomed and spoiled I got, heh, as I do think from time to time and dread the idea of every going back from current internet speeds.

Just a few days ago the ISP sent a physical letter informing me they are going to increase speeds from 150 MBit to 200 Mbit down and from 4 Mbit up to 6 Mbit up.

There's probably a number of solutions you can try. Some people just raw move files and then rescan and repair the install, not sure how much fiddling and stuff that takes but there's gotta be a better solution IMO.

I'm trying to think of something but it's late, i'll see tomorrow.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 year later...

I'm wrestling this too same reasons, so I took a laptop into town and installed it, then came home and transferred the files, Now it fires up but none of my modules short the A10 will load. and when I look at my profile here is says my modules won't run on the steam version. WTF i have never purchase the steam version. So now I'm trying to figure out this line.

The contents of the file is the path to a temporary directory, in this case (UTF-8!): E:\DCSCopy\

I'm stuck here as pic shows, I have the files moved to the DCS Copy folder and the notepad as written to the best of my knowledge and it still goes straight for the download.

https://imgur.com/s01HVQk

What is this (UTF-8!)

Oh and yest links to the complete set of install files, or updates would be awesome!

Edited by T_O_A_D

Just a few days ago the ISP sent a physical letter informing me they are going to increase speeds from 150 MBit to 200 Mbit down and from 4 Mbit up to 6 Mbit up.

wow. I am on 11mbit, though I could go to 48mbit for an extra $10 a month. Australia...large distance, small populiation.

Ryzen 5 3600 | 5700 XT | 32gb | NVME