Screen flickering since 2.5.4

ams999

It was never fixed.

I never experienced it before. Therefore, I think it might be correlated to SSA, because I activated SSA only recently and all of a sudden began to have this issue. I made a try, disabling SSA again, and could fly with no flickering at all.

Today I've been flying for hours without any flickering, so in my case it was due to SSA (maybe too few VRAM on my side?). I can't say about other cases, but disabling SSA might be worth a try for some people

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of potential causes for this it seems. As of the latest Open Beta (2.5.5.41371), I'm getting not just the odd black flicker when I'm in a shadow, but also the odd white flicker now, usually when I can see wing vapours.

I don't use any SSA.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it supposed to be solved? I still have a lot of black flickering on one eye in VR, I decided to continue bf 109 jagdflieger campaign (mission 4) and it was a real nightmare, France to England <> England to France with this stromboscopic effect, it was more a psychologic test than a plane simulation.. I didn't sleep after that. Fortunately (I must say) the game crashed before the end of mission! First time I felt releaved after a game crash.. Usually I only feel sad when I think of price invested in all these modules. Sorry for sarcarsm but sometimes I hate DCS as much I love it! So hope the core would have same attention than all these new modules in future.

Whom is still plagued ?

Hi all,

I’m quite new to DCS (Summer 2019) and, after barely 4 months of smooth flying, I started experiencing those black flickers eventually followed by a freeze up … and still do.

I could not link this anomaly to any update, change of settings or any “abnormal” event.

ED IT support team advised a GPU Driver re-install, altering registry TDRdelay values then deleting metashaders2 and fxo folders but none of these actions have solved the problem so far.

At this point, I realised that the onset of that nasty flicker was usually prompted by a change of mission or my flying away from the start up point : up to this day, I still can fly “flicker-free” for hours within the boundaries of the original area, but as soon as a supplementary load up is required, the black flashes are back. That’s with any plane or any map.

There is more: I soon realised that both “IL2 Great Battles” and “Cliffs of Dover” crashed too along the same pattern, that is as soon as I extend from the initial position.

Unlike DCS, these sims do not issue any “flicker warning” before crashing.

Suspecting a hardware failure (VRAM could logically be indicted), I returned my RTX2070 to ASUS but they sent it back untouched, tested as fully functional.

At this point, I discovered this very thread: 2 years old and still kicking!!!

I’ve read it all carefully – quite a cliff-hanger! – and it seems to me that, in the end, even if ED (after fixing actual bugs – sea shaders, mirrors, rotor blades ) continuously strives to “smooth out” the way their program put its strains on our hardware, the black filtering issue probably lies upstream in our own computers’ settings ( or troubleshooting ? in my case, all three sims crash !).

And since there are NO TWO RIGS ALIKE, no wonder if the ways it affects simmers and the fixes they come up with are so different!

Putting aside the lucky ones relieved of the problem by a DCS update, what kind of feed-back have we got so far from the happy few (?) who got rid of this black plague?

- Fiddling with overclock values

- Turning off the full screen option /or SSAA

- Changing res of cockpit

What else?

Are there still many people around here who are still “black framed” ?

@NineLive : Maybe could you issue some sort of “Call for Witnesses” that would bring the ones who solved this anomaly to share their tips with those who did not ? Thanks in advance.

DxDiag 16jan2020.txt

• 2 weeks later...

Awkward solutions

ASUS has run 3DMark to test my RTX2070, and I’ve been using OCCT to test and monitor my CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM load while flying DCS.

For some reason (out of desperation probably), and although it is not meant to be used that way, I chose to run OCCT MemTest while running DCS and – for some reason too - that made the black flicker disappear !!! … at the cost of a big chunk of fps (up to 50%). See video link (each time the game is paused, I turn MemTest first on –no BF- then off- BF are back-).

Most obvious from 00:04:00 on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wRkkCarS6XvLCHIjFCv01g8NeEoOQG3G/view?usp=sharing&ts=5e18b8dd

It seems that saturation of RAM and VRAM (see screenshots attached) keeps black flickers at bay. Or is it just my rig ??

Of course it doesn’t tackle the source of the problem, since DCS ultimately crashes, and I still don’t know what to make of this reaction (ASUS support & OCCT developers don’t either).

I tried replacing my Display Port by an HDMI cable : of course it reduces significantly the black flickering since it makes the refresh rate drop from 144 to 60 Hz. But the same result can be achieved through DP and selecting 60 Hz in the nVidia control panel. It amounts to reducing the workload of our hardware just like lowering the in-game settings managed to solve the problem for some of you (Water down to medium etc.).

The fact is that my PC can’t handle DCS at previous settings anymore …

Clues anyone ?

619697889_OCCT-Screenshot-DCSMemtestON-NOBlackframes.thumb.png.50c6828f21e1d5105d7d53f4e1f8040c.png

1858963009_OCCT-Screenshot-DCSstartingMemTest.thumb.png.0c9dee68cd6eb6ecdafe39cee7a79f61.png

2053335311_OCCT-Screenshot-DCSMemTestOFF-BlackframesareBACK.thumb.png.62ce07ca34ed3391bc652aa2a4b3843e.png

I have been getting an annoying flicker now, as well. I thought it might be because I have just installed and setting up my Helios profiles for both F/A-18C and F-16C. Looks like it is a problem throughout the community.

Wayne Wilson

AKA: hrnet940

Alienware Aurora R3, i7 3820 3.5GHz(4.2GHz setting) processor, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2070 8GB Graphics, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD.

Those flickers can have many causes it seems. For some it still may be DCS related.

For me, things seem to be getting worse at each crash and since MSI Kombustor detects many artifacts, I'll send my card back to ASUS a second time to check for a stability problem.

I still go for a hardware issue ...

I Just bought a new system with a 2080Ti and I find the flickering is worse than it was with my 1080Ti.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

@BoneDust

Can your flickering be linked to any specific action/scenery/module or does it appear straight off as soon as you take off ? Do you manage to fly at all in those conditions ?

Does the game ever crash ?

I suppose a 2080Ti-based rig can stomach any situation in DCS ...although some had to fiddle with their overclock :

Oh I didn't UNDER-CLOCK my card. I just made the overclock slightly less. I had it set to an offset of +150 on the core and +500 on the VRAM on an RTX 2080ti. I have been testing most of today and have found that by lowering JUST the core to +140 core instead of +150 offset my flickering has completely gone, It should be noted that for the sake of science I did try and was unsuccessful in running a 3dmark benchmark using my prior settings , however lowering my offset by +10 seems to have done the trick

My card is the factory overclocked EVGA FTW3 RTX2080ti and I have it under custom liquid cooling, It really is funny as this card doesn't even hit 45 degrees Celsius under heavy load but its pretty well publicized now that the RTX series of cards are renowned for not being very good overclock-ers (not that they need it).

@BoneDust

Can your flickering be linked to any specific action/scenery/module or does it appear straight off as soon as you take off ? Do you manage to fly at all in those conditions ?

Does the game ever crash ?

I suppose a 2080Ti-based rig can stomach any situation in DCS ...although some had to fiddle with their overclock :

No, it is random. No, the sim has not crashed.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at long last, problem solved :

The kind of flicker I was experiencing, by no means random and causing eventually DCS to crash, was traced to a faulty chip of GDDR6 in my RTX 2070.

I do wish a speedy recovery to those still plagued by this problem !

Is anyone experiencing full screen jittering in DCS (non-VR)? After playing DCS for 30 mins or so and loading different training missions, suddenly the entire screen jitters when I enter a mission. It's not a black flashing like others here are reporting, rather the entire screen is shaking like it's suffering from coronavirus. This has been happening for the last couple of days, suspiciously after I installed GeForce Experience.

The first time this happened I reset my computer and it came back to normal. Today it didn't go back to normal at all so I removed GeForce Experience and I'm doing a clean install of DCS. I also removed/updated my GPU drivers in Device Manager. I'll report how it goes.

FYI I'm running a RTX 2070 Super. Usually get excellent frame rates (above 100).

Today it didn't go back to normal at all so I removed GeForce Experience and I'm doing a clean install of DCS. I also removed/updated my GPU drivers in Device Manager. I'll report how it goes.

Well, removing GeForce Experiencing and doing a clean install of DCS didn't work. That said, all I had to do was switch to VR then switch back again and the jittering stopped. We'll see how long this lasts.

• 1 month later...
In my case it's "Sun reflection" related.

I have this exact same problem when looking at the Stennis for some reason. I flew for an hour on Nevada no problem, but once I loaded a mission and looked at the boat it seems to happen. Log attached.

dcs.log.txt

Edited by fmedges