how to set correct Waypoint for GBU delivery "TGTDSG"

JABO2009

Hi folks,

I try to deliver GBUs with the Hornet in MP, but this is giving me a hard time.

I set everything up like in WAGs tutorial, but I have trouble with setting up the correct waypoint..

When I join a MP server without any additional Waypoint info, how to set it up to correctly ?

I have a target group, marked by JTAC (autolaser) ; i set GBU and Fuse settings and JTAC laser code , but how to get the right waypoint , "TGTDSG" for it to get my GBU drop line set up for that target group ?

pls help

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Going to jump on this thread with a semi related question -

Does the Hornet have stored map elevation the way that the Hog does? For instance in the Hog when I enter JTAC coords into a new waypoint it defaults to the terrain elevation at that location. When I create new waypoints in the Hornet they default to 0 ft elevation. Some quick tests have shown that this is an issue. I had a target group on a hill with an MSL elevation of 2000ft. When I made a waypoint and didn’t correct the elevation, the waypoint diamond after a WPDESG was noticeably inaccurate. Changing the elevation made it better. Is this accurate behavior?

May have to start paying more attention to elevation in the 9-line

Edited by Subferro

Go into the f10 and get the map coordinates and create a new waypoint. then you can set the new waypoint as tgt.

thx for this, can you pls just briefly explain how to enter coordinates into the system as a new WP.

(I know its in the Hornet manual somewhere but I'd need just that hint now )

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

thx for this, can you pls just briefly explain how to enter coordinates into the system as a new WP.

(I know its in the Hornet manual somewhere but I'd need just that hint now )

Hsi on screen

Data osb (top of hsi)

Right side move waypoint # to the # you want to edit. For now just move it to 1 to edit the first waypoint

UFC osb (left side of hsi)

Go to the ufc (up front controller)

Click position to put the :

Enter 2 for North, then enter north coordinates press enter

Enter six for East, then enter east coordinates press enter

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks,

I set everything up like in WAGs tutorial, but I have trouble with setting up the correct waypoint..

When I join a MP server without any additional Waypoint info, how to set it up to correctly ?

I have a target group, marked by JTAC (autolaser) ; i set GBU and Fuse settings and JTAC laser code , but how to get the right waypoint , "TGTDSG" for it to get my GBU drop line set up for that target group ?

pls help

If you have a rough idea of where the target is, you can drop in CCIP mode and the bomb will pick up the laser.

Much easier than punching in a coord for every target.

I'm setting up training missions for myself to get some altitude/speed parameters nailed down.

Here's a good video on entering manual waypoints

Hsi on screen

Data osb (top of hsi)

Right side move waypoint # to the # you want to edit. For now just move it to 1 to edit the first waypoint

Click position to put the :

Enter 2 for North, then enter north coordinates press enter

Enter six for East, then enter east coordinates press enter

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

much appreciated , thx m8 :thumbup:

If you have a rough idea of where the target is, you can drop in CCIP mode and the bomb will pick up the laser.

Much easier than punching in a coord for every target.

I'm setting up training missions for myself to get some altitude/speed parameters nailed down.

Here's a good video on entering manual waypoints

cool, will definately try this out 2 night..:joystick:

Going to jump on this thread with a semi related question -

Does the Hornet have stored map elevation the way that the Hog does? For instance in the Hog when I enter JTAC coords into a new waypoint it defaults to the terrain elevation at that location. When I create new waypoints in the Hornet they default to 0 ft elevation. Some quick tests have shown that this is an issue. I had a target group on a hill with an MSL elevation of 2000ft. When I made a waypoint and didn’t correct the elevation, the waypoint diamond after a WPDESG was noticeably inaccurate. Changing the elevation made it better. Is this accurate behavior?

May have to start paying more attention to elevation in the 9-line

I don’t think -18 has elevation data at the moment. Does it IRL? I really don’t know, I imagine it would. I think the elevation info for waypoints is just a copy from whatever is set in the ME. Therefore, the player has to be careful and double check that the waypoint elevation matches the elevation of the target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

I don’t think -18 has elevation data at the moment. Does it IRL? I really don’t know, I imagine it would. I think the elevation info for waypoints is just a copy from whatever is set in the ME. Therefore, the player has to be careful and double check that the waypoint elevation matches the elevation of the target.

Have a look at this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213459

Yeah for mission editor waypoints it'll be where you set it, I was more asking in regard to waypoints created on the fly.

So to add to Tj1376's post, for no in the hornet it seems you also need to input waypoint elevation data especially if you're going to use it for finding targets.

but it seems there is a problem with elevation at a point, 1 waypoint, 3 elevations differents:

- the real elevation 0ft AGL

- the one you can set in the editor (superior to 0ft AGL), impossible to set it under 98ft

- the one your plane displays in data hsi ( superior to the one set in the editor), in a test, it displays 127ft

In that case Target Point can't be accurate.

If the AGL of the point is 10 ft (height of a truck), editor and plane data HSI should display the same elevation.

For Elevation wpt in F18

Hsi on screen

Data osb (top of hsi)

Click elev :

Click M for elevation in Meter

or Click F for elecation in feet

Enter the value with keypad UFC and press Enter

Edited by flying-coyotus

but it seems there is a problem with elevation at a point, 1 waypoint, 3 elevations differents:

- the real elevation 0ft AGL

- the one you can set in the editor (superior to 0ft AGL), impossible to set it under 98ft

- the one your plane displays in data hsi ( superior to the one set in the editor), in a test, it displays 127ft

In that case Target Point can't be accurate.

If the AGL of the point is 10 ft (height of a truck), editor and plane data HSI should display the same elevation.

Yeah that's a different issue with the mission editor and nothing to do with programming waypoints via the UFC. It happens in all aircraft when you try to set an AGL of zero for waypoints. But to solve your problem, change the AGL in the editor to MSL and put an altitude of zero. It'll then correct to the ground elevation at that point. No clue where the 127 ft in aircraft comes from though.

Yeah for mission editor waypoints it'll be where you set it, I was more asking in regard to waypoints created on the fly.

So to add to Tj1376's post, for no in the hornet it seems you also need to input waypoint elevation data especially if you're going to use it for finding targets.

Oh my bad, yes it always defaults to zero. Must input elevation manually. I think it will eventually do it automatically, because if you use the ATFLIR, it won’t know the elevation from how I understand it.

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Hi folks,

Same, but I'm struggling even in singleplayer :(

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behaviour; in Wags' tut video, after he's set his weapons up, he selects the next WP and hits WPDSG and he gets an ASL/fall line and release cues. I don't :huh:

Yeah, same here (see above); all the other parameters seem correct, but I'm not getting ASL/release cue symbology.

I appreciate that a work-around is to drop CCIP, but I want to do this "properly" from about 25k ft, straight and level.

Sorry for being a noob :(

R.

Have a look at this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213459

Yeah that is strange. To me, something isn’t adding up there. But what the hornet is probably trying to show you is MSL altitude not AGL. Elevation is always derived by above sea level not above ground. So the mechanics of what the hornet is TRYING to provide are correct. Probably should enter in 33 feet again manually in jet. Also your waypoint isnt directly over the target. Might want to readjust and see if it still changes it to 66. I’m willing to bet the elevation at that waypoint is 65 feet. Why? Because you put 33 feet AGL in the waypoint altitude. 65+33=98

Edited by Eagle7907

Same, but I'm struggling even in singleplayer :(

Yeah, I'm seeing the same behaviour; in Wags' tut video, after he's set his weapons up, he selects the next WP and hits WPDSG and he gets an ASL/fall line and release cues. I don't :huh:

Yeah, same here (see above); all the other parameters seem correct, but I'm not getting ASL/release cue symbology.

I appreciate that a work-around is to drop CCIP, but I want to do this "properly" from about 25k ft, straight and level.

Sorry for being a noob :(

R.

I can only think of check your elevation for waypoint. It may be off a lot. Also, anytime you switch waypoints you have to press WYPT then WPDSG again.

1) press TGT

2) press arrow button to next waypoint

3) press WYPT

4) press WPDSG

Works for me.

If you made the waypoints and input altitudes for flight, those waypoints will be in the air, not on the ground.

Also a good tip, really train this stuff, we have loads of aids and don't use them . There is a lot of them and some have a steep learning curve.

To give you an idea ..I can no longer be ace in different systems, by ace I mean within my own comfort level.

So knew ka-50 fairly well, A-10 pretty well, p-51 never got it, Spitfire....I can fight ok well, F-18 pretty up to speed with 60% of it ...I can land, carrier land, Air refuel, fight with the current limitations of not being a complete model, F-5 can fly it to my liking ....landing ..hmm had to learn on speed from the hornet to tame that , I never got the concept of "on speed". After the hornet I use it for the F-5 and can now land ok .

But the thing is, for me, I can not be good at ka-50 and lets say f-18 at the same time.

Flying Wise yeah pretty ok on all platforms, concept of speed heading decent climb is ok. being a bad ass combat killer ...not so much :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

About getting a drop queue for GBUs in AUTO mode.

The easiest way for me, is to

- set the bomb program for AUTO delivery

- write the MGRS coordinates down and look them up on the map, then identify spot from map in terrain around me

- or have a human FAC/JTAC give me a talk on

- Sensor Select Switch UP to have HUD selected ("Ball and Chain" symbology)

- use "Ball and Chain" to designate target location with weapon release button

- pull level and drop with steering line and release cue

- if you are too close after designation, go around for another approach. Target caret and steering line remains.

To undesignate use the nosewheel steering/undesignate button.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

- write the MGRS coordinates down and look them up on the map, then identify spot from map in terrain around me

- if you are too close after designation, go around for another approach. Target caret and steering line remains.

Pretty much this.

You can as well give the JTAC the Laser and WP command instead of laser only. That way he will lase your objective AND you will be able to see it with the white phosforous.

Use the ball and chain on the WP mark and that is all :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can only think of check your elevation for waypoint. It may be off a lot. Also, anytime you switch waypoints you have to press WYPT then WPDSG again.

1) press TGT

2) press arrow button to next waypoint

3) press WYPT

4) press WPDSG

Works for me.

If you made the waypoints and input altitudes for flight, those waypoints will be in the air, not on the ground.

Nailed it! Waypoint was set as a 25k ft turning point. Set it to ground level and voila! Thanks, dude.

R.

Thanks, this also helps greatly!

R.

Danke / Thanks ! :thumbup: