OT: Sad F-14 video

I'd rather buy one. U see, I'm not from Iran....

Don't think it matters that you're not from Iran. If they won't give Dale Snodgrass an intact one then I'd say that your odds of getting one are a little on the low side..

CanadaDave

Along with scrapping the main function of AMARC is long storage of preserved a/c as you know and that was what I meant by hosting them. I had no idea about this Pentagon policy. Not the smartest move but you know- intelligence isn't politics' strongest side.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

I doubt they'll destroy them all Viper. Some will go to museums and historical centres.

Some will, yes. How intact those that get to the museums will be is another question. Not being able to peer into the cockpit kind of takes a lot away from the museum experience, in my opinion.

CanadaDave

@EscCtrl- All that remain at AMARC

@Airtito- everything is politcal now which is completely bullshit! Yes, I would love to see them all be put in museums and you have no idea how many would love to get their hands on one. But, no, gotta scrap them even when Iran has no ability to get parts... I was just in Oregon for vacation and checked out the Evergreen Aerospace Museum there in McMinnville and saw AJ106 (F-14D Felix 106 of VF-31) just sitting out behind a fence waiting to be put in the new hanger being built which made me happy. What are they going to do with the F-4's and F-111's at AMARC???? they use just about the same stuff that is available for Iran to get and yet they dont touch them.

So, in turn boosting Iran's industry by not giving them any alternatives but to build the parts themselves, nice.

Just accept that on some countries you can't have a direct influence and seek others to exploit. You know what's even sadder? To see perfectly fine Tu-22M3s being scrapped because the US said so, now that is a shame (see the difference, the F-14 belongs to the US, the Tupolevs don't).

Lol, paranoid motherf*****s, and yet they want to have and sustain the best offensive force in the world.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

So, in turn boosting Iran's industry by not giving them any alternatives but to build the parts themselves, nice.

Just accept that on some countries you can't have a direct influence and seek others to exploit. You know what's even sadder? To see perfectly fine Tu-22M3s being scrapped because the US said so, now that is a shame (see the difference, the F-14 belongs to the US, the Tupolevs don't).

Lol, paranoid motherf*****s, and yet they want to have and sustain the best offensive force in the world.

Any information regarding the Tupolevs, Whose were they?

No one in the US will use these Tomcats though and no one is allowed to use them outside the US, the aircraft have a high enough scrap value, as long as several examples are maintained in trusts and museums I don't see the big deal. It's worse seeing hundreds of examples out in some desert having their asses kicked by the wind.

as far as I know there are none that are flyable. I actually sat in one not too long ago, but when we asked the guy there, he said "nope, no more flying" it's sad. But, yes, museums still have them.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Any information regarding the Tupolevs, Whose were they?

Ukrainian Air Force. They were in service, well maintained (so not standing somewhere, rotting away) even came to Fairford a couple of times. I've seen all the M variants in a museum, and well, the M3 looked really good. As I said cutting up your own inventory because you're paranoid is one thing, but 'forcing' other nations to cut up their inventory is a lot worse.

Ukrainian Air Force. They were in service, well maintained (so not standing somewhere, rotting away) even came to Fairford a couple of times. I've seen all the M variants in a museum, and well, the M3 looked really good. As I said cutting up your own inventory because you're paranoid is one thing, but 'forcing' other nations to cut up their inventory is a lot worse.

When you get that kind of power that the US currently has it will make you do those kind of things. It won't be long before another country overtakes the US and starts pushing it's weight around in the same way.

P.S. No I don't hate the US and no I don't want to argue about them.:D

You know what's even sadder? To see perfectly fine Tu-22M3s being scrapped because the US said so, now that is a shame (see the difference, the F-14 belongs to the US, the Tupolevs don't).

No its not, if they were ever to get used you would never live through it to tell the story. I for one, will not cry at an aircraft being retired that was designed to blast entire cities up. The worst tragedy here is not that the Tomcat is being scraped, is the mere possibility that it will end its career being shot down or bombed while in Iranian service.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

it would be true only if the silos were in the open in the middle of that city. :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

In any case, seeing still capable and modern aircraft being cut up is a sad sight, considering all the thought went into each design.

And if you think Iran is some kind of threat to whoever, then remember that they have at least 12 kh-55s. Personally I think Iran is just another country trying to say nobody should meddle in their internal affairs, I admire that. It would be better if it was an open country, but in this way it at least shows some character towards the world. Imagine what would happen if Russia and China would decomission their defensive nuclear deterrent force?

Ukraine is the only nation with capability to design nuclear weapons that gave up all kinds of nuclear arms, that is admirable even though I can almost guarantee that financial factors played an important role in that. I know all this peace talk isn't fit for a combat flight sim, but IMHO digital violence is the only kind that should not be frowned upon. War is not fun/clean/tactical/surgical/cool/good no matter how you name it. Having said that I also realise that we are human beings that like to kill, rape, plunder and have feelings of jealousy...

So maybe cutting up warplanes (that's what they all are, no matter if you can shoot a .50 cal, or drop nuclear bombs) is a good thing.

In a lot of ways it was lucky for the US and unlucky for the Tomcat that the Shah went with the F-14 and not any other fighter of that generation. Had they gone with the F-15, F-16, F/A-18 (timing would have been a little tight on that one), or any MiG or Sukhoi fighter then the US government would have a next to impossible task in controlling spare parts and supplies. But with no other export customers they can just smash what they have and voila! no more parts.

That said the smashing of the existing fleet is one thing, and is sad in and of itself, but what they're doing to at least some of the samples provided to museums is arguably worse. As I mentioned earlier, not being able to have a look in the cockpit takes a lot away from seeing the aircraft, in my opinion. An aircraft with a blacked out cockpit is missing a whole lot.

It would have also been nice to have seen Tomcats in private hands on the airshow circuit in years to come. Admittedly it would have been a huge maintenance challenge before, but with the part supply being decimated like that I imagine it won't be possible at all.

CanadaDave

Suppose all old airplanes will meet that fate unless they can find a home in a museum.

Must have a look on ebay. If I can find enough parts I might be able to build my very own F-14.

DPS.