Logitech X56 slop in center of stick

Sandman1330

Do you think the thick grease used on the throttle would help. I find the throttle is really smooth but needs constant movement to keep it from being too slow.

I haven't had any issues with the throttle. It will loosen up with time and use.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I haven't had any issues with the throttle. It will loosen up with time and use.

Thanks for that info, I was concerned when having the need for quick throttle movements it would present a problem but fortunately the engine spool time is about the same as the throttle movement. Yes it does loosen but doesn't stay loose for long if not constantly moved.

• 1 month later...

Hi All!

First thing first, this is my first post on this forum so be gentle.

I found this thread seeking a fix for the X56 sloppy centering mechanism. I have a bit of the same problem with this HOTAS in DCS like AAR or making a real nice case I recovery. It's a bit annoying with the slopy center.

Anyhow, I tried turning on the old engineering brain and see if there was an easy fix.

Think I got a bit of improvment this way. Start by removing the stick handle and remove the spring.

Take a piece of printer transparency film. I cut a piece 24 x 20 mm. The 20 mm needs to be adapted for the slop in the stick. So a bit of trial and error might be needed.

Then with some patience. "Massage" down the plasic film between the center pin and the spring lower part. The 24 mm side of the plastic should be along the center pin. See attachments. A bit difficult to explain in text.

Now the plastic film will take up some of the slop in the center. Not all but it improved my stick.

Not sure if this has any negative long term effects, so don't blame me.

I just thought I should share this. Feel free to ask if it is unclear.

Have a nice day!

//Bejo

1421464257_Getitinhere.thumb.jpg.697f2f1099a62f355959c9651f0c7c65.jpg

386156995_Getitinhere2.thumb.jpg.7148f1a33e1ba82fcd5bbf8589b7d659.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice idea! I’ve been trying to find something to insert into there, that might be the ticket. I’ll give it a go!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...
Can someone with an X-56 [grey] please explain the throttle tension. I'm using it at the lowest tension,

there is a range of loose turns then you hit some resistance should I try to turn past the resistance for more adjusting range or is that the stop point?

It's incredibly smooth almost like hydraulic fluid, but if you don't move the throttle for a bit it will feel like molasses. But in reality I can still move it when it's tight like that faster than the spool time so I don't really need to move the throttle too fast.

My throttle is from the batch released in July 2019.

After a lot of reading on the web I found that after a week or two the throttle loosens up nicely.

To loosing it up: rotate the tension control toward you fully, remembering to not over tighten when you go either direction, then wind it back a little. Every day, while in front of the PC whenever you get the chance push and pull the throttle back and forward. After a couple of weeks it's going to be a wonderful throttle. It's much nicer to work with then my previous X52.

The sticks downside is that it has a bit of uneven X, Y play that you have to deadzone for and takes a little getting used to. It's not as tight as the X52 was for me but I have gotten used to it.

After about 2 months with the X56, I am really loving it and it has significantly improved my flying over the past stick that I have had. Ppl have commented on noticing improvements in chopper combat landings in Arma 3 for example.

Personally, I am enjoying the stick very much and the additional switches and hats are a must if you anticipate using them in the future they are worth the $$.

Do you think the thick grease used on the throttle would help. I find the throttle is really smooth but needs constant movement to keep it from being too slow.

After use (a few weeks) it will stay smooth and loose. If mine sits for 20min it is slightly firm again but smooths out with one activation.

I also found that reinstalling the software fixed a few issues I had:

First issue I found that may only be relative to me was that the mini sticks showed a lot of noise (detected movement when not being moved manually). A reinstall fixed that.

I also had my stick not respond well and appear to lose profiles after the May Win10 update. I reinstalled the drivers & software and all was fixed again.

Hope the above helps others.

• 1 month later...
Hi All!

First thing first, this is my first post on this forum so be gentle.

I found this thread seeking a fix for the X56 sloppy centering mechanism. I have a bit of the same problem with this HOTAS in DCS like AAR or making a real nice case I recovery. It's a bit annoying with the slopy center.

Anyhow, I tried turning on the old engineering brain and see if there was an easy fix.

Think I got a bit of improvment this way. Start by removing the stick handle and remove the spring.

Take a piece of printer transparency film. I cut a piece 24 x 20 mm. The 20 mm needs to be adapted for the slop in the stick. So a bit of trial and error might be needed.

Then with some patience. "Massage" down the plasic film between the center pin and the spring lower part. The 24 mm side of the plastic should be along the center pin. See attachments. A bit difficult to explain in text.

Now the plastic film will take up some of the slop in the center. Not all but it improved my stick.

Not sure if this has any negative long term effects, so don't blame me.

I just thought I should share this. Feel free to ask if it is unclear.

Have a nice day!

//Bejo

Tried this today and it works very well. My strafing accuracy is about 75% better now.

For my shim I used a potion of thin plastic trimmed out of a heat molded transparent berry tray. Some biscuit trays may work too. Mine at ~2cm lone is quite snug ought to be thinner so I can make it longer one to circumference the gimble stalk entirely. A complete circumference would mean I no longer have a stiffer side of the X/Y directions.

To reduce the newly introduced friction, I recommend a drop of silicon oil or some silicon spray. Avoid WD40 etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine is exactly the same way.

The problem is poorly designed spring seat. Tolerances are far to large between the spring seat and the center shaft.

For the price these things cost, poor design like this should never happen. It's not Rocket science.

This is a little video of the movement in the seat.

I'm going to try something to fix it.

The looseness I experience is not coming from what problem you are having, mine is very tight there. It is coming from the spring seat not being wide enough at the beginning range of movement to make instant contact with the base rim it presses up against causing the first few millimetres of movement to have no spring pressure.

I've tried thinking of a fix but don't have one yet...I have an open ticket with Logitech on this matter.

Edited by fitness88

• 7 months later...

X56 HOTAS - Flight Stick Spring MOD

My Logitech X56 HOTAS was purchased recently:

Out of the box, it is a good Flight Stick and feels OK, but the way it feels when centred via the included single-center spring is not ideal.

I do not have access to a 3D printer, so I did a "MacGyver":

Automobile hose clamp + zip tie = very smooth centring.

(I did have to Re-Calibrate with the Logitech software after)

488423420_X56-SpringMODMacGyver.thumb.jpg.d105491639094a689d2b30aea08f9f51.jpg

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 2 months later...
My Logitech X56 HOTAS was purchased recently:

Out of the box, it is a good Flight Stick and feels OK, but the way it feels when centred via the included single-center spring is not ideal.

I do not have access to a 3D printer, so I did a "MacGyver":

Automobile hose clamp + zip tie = very smooth centring.

(I did have to Re-Calibrate with the Logitech software after)

As I previously posted:

The looseness I experience is coming from the spring seat not being wide enough at the beginning range of movement to make instant contact with the base rim it presses up against causing the first few millimetres of movement to have no spring pressure.

I've been working on this issue for over a year...looks like you're onto something!

What is the purpose of placing the straps and the 4 corner springs, shouldn't one or the other be enough?

Isn't the stick spring it comes with strong enough, why the 4 corner springs?

Also why use the steel clamp isn't the plastic tie enough to hold the springs?

Edited by fitness88

• 1 month later...
As I previously posted:

The looseness I experience is coming from the spring seat not being wide enough at the beginning range of movement to make instant contact with the base rim it presses up against causing the first few millimetres of movement to have no spring pressure.

I've been working on this issue for over a year...looks like you're onto something!

What is the purpose of placing the straps and the 4 corner springs, shouldn't one or the other be enough?

Isn't the stick spring it comes with strong enough, why the 4 corner springs?

Also why use the steel clamp isn't the plastic tie enough to hold the springs?

My Response:

• The Velcro straps are not part of the Modification. I use the straps to attach the Flight stick to my Mouse Tray.

• The 4 Corner springs replace the Large Default spring in the center and allow the stick to almost float in the center with no friction.

• It could be possible just to use the tie, but it may slip down over time or if not tight enough. The Hose Clamp is nice when closed. The 3D printer option is ideal. I just had the stuff I used literally lying around.

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 9 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 10:54 AM, YSIAD_RIP said:

My Response:

• The Velcro straps are not part of the Modification. I use the straps to attach the Flight stick to my Mouse Tray.

• The 4 Corner springs replace the Large Default spring in the center and allow the stick to almost float in the center with no friction.

• It could be possible just to use the tie, but it may slip down over time or if not tight enough. The Hose Clamp is nice when closed. The 3D printer option is ideal. I just had the stuff I used literally lying around.

Hi YSIAD_RIP!  Just came across your setup for your X56 and am considering doing the same because I have similar issues.  Was wondering a couple of things.  What type of screws are you using to tie down your springs?  What size springs did you use? And how, exactly did you secure the zip tie to the automotive hose clamp?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated Sir!

On 7/2/2021 at 3:35 AM, CWW1964 said:

Hi YSIAD_RIP!  Just came across your setup for your X56 and am considering doing the same because I have similar issues.  Was wondering a couple of things.  What type of screws are you using to tie down your springs?  What size springs did you use? And how, exactly did you secure the zip tie to the automotive hose clamp?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated Sir!

@CWW1964 When doing this spring mod I just used what I had available to me. You are only limited by your imagination or what parts you can find. 

Suggestions to your questions: 

What type of screws are you using to tie down your springs?  

• Any bolt that fits in the whole - Length will depend on if you are mounding the stick to a desk or other flat surface
  • I used M5 (5.5mm diameter) 8cm long.
  • You can even use "sticky tack" or tape to make the bolts fit more snuggly into the four corners holes. 

What size springs did you use?

• Standard springs used for flexible lamp arm. I also found a good selection of springs at my local Home Depot/ Hardware store.
  • I used springs that were 63mm long with a 10mm diameter.  You can go a little shorter, the springs will just stretch.  

And how, exactly did you secure the zip tie to the automotive hose clamp?  

• The Hose clamp was optional. I just wanted something that I could remove by just loosing the screw on the hose clamp. 
  • If you get thin zip ties (~3mm) you can feed it between the hose clamp bolt. I will try to attach a picture later. 

Picture Shows A stainless bolt I used and one of the options with a hose clamp and 3 zip ties - just because I could..

Good Luck! 

X56 SpringMod_Option1.jpg

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
Added Photo and description.

@YSIAD_RIP Just wanted to Thank You for taking the time to respond to my question and supplying the additional picture! I know this was an older post (last year) and wasnt sure if I could get ahold of you...I will be working on this over the weekend!

Thank You Again, VERY Much Appreciated Sir!  Have a Great Weekend!! 👍

Edited by CWW1964
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/24/2018 at 1:58 PM, Sandman1330 said:

Hey all,

Just "upgraded" from an X55 to an X56. I wanted the extra mini stick axis on the stick for A10C CMS and F/A-18C Wpn Select (works great).

However, the darn stick has a ton of slop in the center, before the spring provides any tension. It's almost like the sleeve that goes over the shaft and holds the spring in place is too large for the shaft, so no matter what spring tension I use, it has play right in the center. It's fine for most things, but when precision is required (A10C AAR in particular), the slop is just enough to make the necessary fine movements nigh impossible.

I've set some small deadzones, but if I go large enough on the deadzone to completely cancel out the slop, it still hurts precision due to the deadzone.

I've read on reddit that this is really common with the new X56, so I'm not sure RMAing it will even get me a new one that doesn't have the same problem.

Has anyone managed to macgiver something to tighten up the stick? Any ideas to share?

I have an idea on how to fix this issue. It seems to be a common problem with this system. And I, like you and many others, love this system... except for this one issue. Anyway, if you're interested, I'll let you know if this works and how I did it.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

On 2/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, brettt777 said:

I have an idea on how to fix this issue. It seems to be a common problem with this system. And I, like you and many others, love this system... except for this one issue. Anyway, if you're interested, I'll let you know if this works and how I did it.

Thanks! But I've long since for real upgraded to a Virpil base. Only just recently moved away from the X56 throttle to a Virpil as well, the throttle held me for quite some time.