Pimax 5K+ DCS review and 2080ti benchmarks

*Rage*

Honestly, I haven't been looking at fps at all, only at the qualitative experience, which is good overall, but I see ghosting on fast moving objects.

What's the best way to view fps from within the headset?

fpsVR app from Steam. I think its $3-4, but it's amazingly useful. It will also show you which piece of your hardware is causing your bottleneck (CPU or GPU) :thumbup:

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

fpsVR app from Steam. I think its $3-4, but it's amazingly useful. It will also show you which piece of your hardware is causing your bottleneck (CPU or GPU) :thumbup:

Hmm, thanks for that. I'll have to give it a shot.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

What are peoples' thoughts on the Pimax 5k+ vs. the 8k for DCS? I have heard some people say that they are switching from the 8k to the 5k+ since text on e.g. the HUD and cockpit instruments is clearer.

Edited by The Integrator

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

Is the 8k even out? Can DCS even run the 8k?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Had a chance to play with Pimax 5k+ in DCS and other sims for a few hours and compare it to my Rift CV1.

pros:

- resolution and image clarity is definitely better. It's not mind blowing as some people claim, still nowhere near real life, but I'd call it "usable" versus "barely usable" in Rift CV1.

- FOV is better, even on lowest setting. That is a big thing for dogfights, as you can quite naturally check your six without much effort.

- no apparent godrays.

- comfort is surprisingly good, even better than the rift. More space inside for glasses. Large sweet spot.

cons:

- smoothness is bad. Forget 90 fps even with 2080 Ti, 45 fps is achievable with some compromises. However, even at 45 fps it's just not as smooth as the Rift. I play on CV1 with ASW enabled, and apart from occasional visual artefacts that are inevitable with ASW, I have very smooth image with no smearing or double vision. On Pimax, despite turning on their smoothing algorithms and seeing the usual visual artifacts, the image still often becomes blurry or "ghosting" when moving.

- World scale is a bit off, need to play with IPD setting in DCS to correct it. However, I think I saw the same problem with Vive when I tested it, so it may be something with DCS and SteamVR. Can be fixed with IPD setting in game.

- Software is not as polished, some options give better results in DCS while break other games, so often you need to change, restart everything and try again. It's not that bad, but not plug&play either.

Overall if it was a 200$ upgrade over oculus, I would probably buy it, but at the current price and waiting line, not a chance. For me the biggest issue is the smoothness, even with both headsets at 45 fps oculus with ASW feels much better. The hardware may be 2nd generation, but the software is still 1st gen beta. So I'm going to wait and see what big players will show this year.

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Thanks for that review. Have you looked through a Oddesey + perchance?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Nope. Not officially sold in EU, so hard to find one for testing.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Tested on 9900K

giphy.gif

Also, given the amazingly bad VR performance of DCS, I'm starting to wonder if they aren't running a bitcoin miner in the background and sending them back to ED.... :music_whistling: ;)

Edited by Harlikwin

• 5 weeks later...

regarding fps and VR in dcs.

wags wrote something about they improved fps in vr by 50% after they fixed something with the ground texture/terrain that was the main fps "killer" in dcs.

I asume this new update for vr will be avaliable in 2 days from now ;-)

( i hope )

wags wrote something about they improved fps in vr by 50% after they fixed something with the ground texture/terrain that was the main fps "killer" in dcs.

( i hope )

While I ain't holding my breath for next update I am sure hoping it is.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

( i hope )

Two weeks...

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Kegety gave them a big jump start! So if it turns out to be the same fix (not rendering things you can't see), then I think we, VR users, owe a pint to Kegety! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 weeks later...
Had a chance to play with Pimax 5k+ in DCS and other sims for a few hours and compare it to my Rift CV1.

pros:

- resolution and image clarity is definitely better. It's not mind blowing as some people claim, still nowhere near real life, but I'd call it "usable" versus "barely usable" in Rift CV1.

- FOV is better, even on lowest setting. That is a big thing for dogfights, as you can quite naturally check your six without much effort.

- no apparent godrays.

- comfort is surprisingly good, even better than the rift. More space inside for glasses. Large sweet spot.

cons:

- smoothness is bad. Forget 90 fps even with 2080 Ti, 45 fps is achievable with some compromises. However, even at 45 fps it's just not as smooth as the Rift. I play on CV1 with ASW enabled, and apart from occasional visual artefacts that are inevitable with ASW, I have very smooth image with no smearing or double vision. On Pimax, despite turning on their smoothing algorithms and seeing the usual visual artifacts, the image still often becomes blurry or "ghosting" when moving.

- World scale is a bit off, need to play with IPD setting in DCS to correct it. However, I think I saw the same problem with Vive when I tested it, so it may be something with DCS and SteamVR. Can be fixed with IPD setting in game.

- Software is not as polished, some options give better results in DCS while break other games, so often you need to change, restart everything and try again. It's not that bad, but not plug&play either.

Overall if it was a 200$ upgrade over oculus, I would probably buy it, but at the current price and waiting line, not a chance. For me the biggest issue is the smoothness, even with both headsets at 45 fps oculus with ASW feels much better. The hardware may be 2nd generation, but the software is still 1st gen beta. So I'm going to wait and see what big players will show this year.

Thanks for your input and review Some1, on the fence here on upgrading and I think I will pass and stick with the CV1 for now. I do plan on upgrading to a 9900 and 32mb of ram so basically and new core system and will probably stick with my 1070Ti for now until the next gen GPU's arrive.

i9-13900K@5.8Ghz, RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Aorus Elite AX MB, 64GB DDR5 6000, 2x2TB M.2 980pro SSDs, Win11 64 P, TM Warthog, T-IR 2D @ 4K, Quest Pro VR.

I find there are more vertical physical space in the 5k than the rift.

But less depth than any other.

After just one session I managed to scratch both my glasses and the lens, luckily well outside middle of vision and not to big.

But I have had to switch back to my older specs that are much smaller frames.

Honestly unless the promised eyetrackers are less 2mm thick they aren't going to fit inside without either occluding lenses or decreasing comfort even more.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I find there are more vertical physical space in the 5k than the rift.

But less depth than any other.

After just one session I managed to scratch both my glasses and the lens, luckily well outside middle of vision and not to big.

But I have had to switch back to my older specs that are much smaller frames.

Honestly unless the promised eyetrackers are less 2mm thick they aren't going to fit inside without either occluding lenses or decreasing comfort even more.

Could confirm that the depth of the picture appeared less in the Pimax, than in other HMDs, but after managed to adjust the eye-lens-distance by adjusting values in the stereo.lua the depth in the Pimax could be corrected as it should be with no disadvantage in comparison with other Headsets.

The Pimax offers a lot of potential, which could grow with optimized hard- and software to deliver the images to Pimax´panels. You could already crank up the image in the Pimax to a phenomenal quality, but it is with current connected hardware unplayable regarding the perfomance.

Me too awaiting some after market products from LensLabs and VRcover to make the Pimax more comfortable. But there´s also a nice thing with the large field of view, if you regularly need glasses to correct a short-sighted view: the large field of view puts the image of the panels more close to the viewport. HTC Vive or Samsung Odyssey viewport is approx 1 - 2 meter from the eye to the virtual world. With the large FOV this distance is closer an could(!) make wearing glasses under the Pimax obsolete. It depends on the person and personal grade of short-sightness.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I was only reffering to the physical space between my face and the lenses..

In this regards the 5k has less room than any other, but is wider and higher than any other so this fooled me into thinking I could use my new glasses with.

But just a three minute, very lazy beatsaber test I had scratched both pimax and my new $700 specs.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

I was only reffering to the physical space between my face and the lenses..

In this regards the 5k has less room than any other, but is wider and higher than any other so this fooled me into thinking I could use my new glasses with.

But just a three minute, very lazy beatsaber test I had scratched both pimax and my new $700 specs.

... made the same experience in the first minutes with the Pimax and my glasses, then discovered, that I don´t need glasses at all with the Pimax.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

• 1 month later...

I've just had a Pimax 5K XR delivered (Amazon EU) and have given it a go on my GTX 980.....I'm blown away by the depth perception of the sim. With my current GPU with all the setting on low it's not working very well. I was expecting this but wanted to have a look anyway. I'll wait out for the latest 'SUPER' news from Nvidia before making a decision on a watercooled 2080ti.

Shout out to UK VR users - where did you pick up your Vive base stations. Ebay is only listing a few and they are mega expensive for second hand units. Further afield I'm getting loads of hits for units from the US and china, are these to be trusted? Delivery time is also 3-4 weeks. I don't suppose a fellow forum member is needing to part with a base station or two?

Update - Just ordered a base station from Vive UK (IRE) for a fair price, and free postage.

Edited by Sharpedge

I've just had a Pimax 5K XR delivered (Amazon EU) and have given it a go on my GTX 980.....I'm blown away by the depth perception of the sim. With my current GPU with all the setting on low it's not working very well. I was expecting this but wanted to have a look anyway. I'll wait out for the latest 'SUPER' news from Nvidia before making a decision on a watercooled 2080ti.

You need a good motherboard, processor and GPU for VR - and check that DCS is using all cores:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243170

i9 12900KS, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 APEX, 64 GB DDR5 4700 mhz, ASUS RTX4090, Water cooled, C - NVME SSD, 😧 DCS on SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle, Crosswind rudder Pedals, 2 x Thrustmaster MFDs on LCD Screens, Varjo Aero VR, Logitech game controller

You need a good motherboard, processor and GPU for VR - and check that DCS is using all cores:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243170

It doesn't matter how many cores your processor has, DCS can only use one with 2 threads. @sharpedge, I don't know what to tell you on performance of the Pimax. I have the 5K+ and the fastest system I could buy (fastest being GHz clock speed). For me it's worse than my CV1 and I fly with my CV1, not the Pimax. My issue with it is more to do with the IPD and fit of the unit. I have a 58 IPD and it sits too close killing the bridge of my nose. Also I wear readers and unlike the Rift I need them with the Pimax. I've ordered the Vive wide face cushion which will hopefully fix these issues. Apart from that, regardless of settings I have judder or blurring when looking at static objects outside the jet. On the other hand there are many people that have no issues and love it. Hopefully things will get better when DCS releases the VR optimizations and Pitools gets more refined as a driver. Regardless, there's currently no hardware available, that will work with DCS, to push enough pixels at decent framerates. At least well enough for me to enjoy it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.