DCS: Christen Eagle II now available for pre-purchase!

Hiromachi

I'm very hopeful this team is capable of a much better product! Given the MiG 21 I do expect this team can produce a better product than we've gotten from the DCS team in prop planes.

I do not mean to spoil the party for you, but the team that was Leatherneck and did the Mig-21 has split up a few years ago into Heatblur and Magnitude 3. With HB bringing out the F-14 and these guys this... Well you do the maths. I do not mean to be grumpy or harsh, just pointing out the reality

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I can't say for sure which planes you flew back then, but for me this cockpit graphics is not even close to the 2019 standards. I'm looking at your screenshots and I just can't help seeing how flat the main panel is and how cartoonish is the rest.

Perhaps some screenshots playing with sun lighting and cast shadows would help to appreciate the work better.

The most unnatural thing, which is not M3 fault's are the specular reflections visible on parts where light is blocked. Unfortunately, such cockpit design makes it obvious… like the glowing black ball…

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Guys, I mean no offense, just trying to be clear. I've watched the trailer and I can't see what people are so excited about. The graphics of the inside of the cockpit are so poor they reminded me of freeware models of the MS Flight Simlulator 2004 era. Good enough for that time, but not in 2019...

Now, I understand the trailer won't let me assess things like flight dynamics, but, let's put it straight, every content creator has claimed their FD to be a pinnacle which it not always turned to be. And the infamous example is the Yak-52 released not long ago which, besides that, has many issues with systems and instruments that developers are not hurrying to correct.

The trailer of the Eagle, besides the fact that it's poorly directed and cut, brought to me a complete disappointment. And you're asking $23.99 for the pre-release, saying it's by 20% lower than the final price... So it's going to be $30? Seriously? And you're asking this for the aircraft which has never been really popular even in civilian sims!

You here want Extras and other stuff, which is cool by itself, but aren't those aircraft available for other sims already? I am not hostile to civilian sims per se, but the point is, in the beginning DCS was so cool for its idea of modern aerial combat, and there are heaps of aircraft there that are left untouched. There are all the MiGs (17, 19, 23, 25, 27), Il-28, Su-7, Su-24, F-100, F-104, F-105, F-111, F-4, Tornado, Jaguar, A-4, A-7, heaps of helicopters. And that's just to name a few. But thanks to efforts of teams like this DCS is led into being yet another civilian sim. And far not the best I should say.

+1!

I don't like the cockpit. Looks like 20 years old graphics. :(

Edited by norbot
Wanted to be a litte more friendly.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Just ordered mine :D ... I'm glad to see DCS expanding onto a wide variety of aircrafts and helicopters ... cant wait for the Mosquito :)

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have flown the Eagle (many moons ago). It only served to grow my lifelong dream of owning a single hole Pitts one day. Eventually I did and life will never be the same. Aerobatics, competition aerobatics especially, is a world of noise, great machines, even better friends and (hopefully) constant improvement. I was going to give the Eagle a pass. Every sim in which I have attempted aerobatics has gotten not just wrong, but Mario Kart wrong. DCS, X-Plane, professional airline sims costing millions—all fail to manage the hard math that comes with high AOA and reverse airflow. This model just might be the one to change that. With that hope in mind, I will buy for sure.

Many aerobatic competitors all over the world are on an email list called the “exploder”. Yesterday, the subject of using flight simulators for practice started a good discussion. The general consensus was just what I said above, sims are hopless once surfaces begin to stall. But to my surprise, someone mentioned DCS and the Eagle as, just possibly, the solution after all these years. So the pressure is on! Many of us are hoping that you guys may have managed what nobody else has. Here’s hoping!

I do want to respond to a criticism about DCS props (eg, P-51, Bf-109). I too complained stridently years ago. Way to difficult to keep straight on the ground was my biggest complaint. My issues were fixed over several updates quite awhile back. I’d suggest to critical players who were like me that they give the models another go. You might be surprised at how much has changed for the better.

I do want to respond to a criticism about DCS props (eg, P-51, Bf-109). I too complained stridently years ago. Way to difficult to keep straight on the ground was my biggest complaint. My issues were fixed over several updates quite awhile back. I’d suggest to critical players who were like me that they give the models another go. You might be surprised at how much has changed for the better.

Curious as to whether the same setting will be involved on the CE2, but the warbirds have a "takeoff assist" option default set to 100, and I find that setting to completely mess with ground handling. It only helps if you are not paying attention, and hurts if you are. Once I turned that off, my warbird ground handling improved leaps and bounds.

Be sure to check the special options once you get the CE2 and make sure that "takeoff assist" is off, if that option is implemented by M3.

The graphics of the inside of the cockpit are so poor they reminded me of freeware models of the MS Flight Simlulator 2004 era. Good enough for that time, but not in 2019...

Yes! The plane graphics (cockpit, external) indeed is much below to the level of all other DCS planes.

It's on a level like the planes of early MS FS days. The detailed DCS terrain textures don't help much to improve the bad appearance of the CE 2.

Edited by wernst

Are your comments a result of flying the DCS model or from seeing screenshots and videos? (Not being critical or snarky...sincere question). I have only seen the YouTube promo video and to me it looks very good. My plane is a single-seat Pitts, so there are a few differences. But other than dirt, scratches there isn't any texture to my panel and it looks nearly identical. I never touch the panel other than to set the altimeter and reset the g-meter. So unlike combat workhorses, there is not a lot of signs of use in the cockpit.

People should actually spend some time with MS FS 2004 or any 20 year old before making absurd claims like these.

Maybe try some constructive criticism next time. I.e. say why you think the graphics are bad and how to improve them.

Siming 20 years ago, almost the same :smilewink::

Ta-152H.jpg.8981cf41e09a6cd472e07b4321443464.jpg

Edited by Cunctator

Are your comments a result of flying the DCS model or from seeing screenshots and videos? (Not being critical or snarky...sincere question). I have only seen the YouTube promo video and to me it looks very good. My plane is a single-seat Pitts, so there are a few differences. But other than dirt, scratches there isn't any texture to my panel and it looks nearly identical. I never touch the panel other than to set the altimeter and reset the g-meter. So unlike combat workhorses, there is not a lot of signs of use in the cockpit.

My disapointment is a result of seeing the promo video. I suppose the promo video is made at it's best to generate DCS pilots excitement.

The two pics of a real CE II cockpit and the sim version of it may give some impressions of what I mean.

It's all about light! The DCS CE II has unnatural flat lighting, it has no shadows and reflections which make the perfect 3D impression.

It's the same seeing this plane in the air. It looks unnatural flat, kind of 2D. The plane appears badly superimposed to the environmental textures.

One can see unnatural sharp borders between the plane and the background textures. I doubt it's written in any of DCS's graphical engines.

Look at the other DCS planes, they all appear photorealistic on the ground and in the air, you'll have difficulties to see whether they are sim or real. They are simply great!

When the CE II modul is available you may put it next to a F-18C and you'll get my point.

Edited by wernst

Relax, I am sure it will look good. ED has certain standards.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

---------------------------------------------------------

Intel i-9 9900k @ 5.0 Ghz, EVGA 2080tiFTW3 11Gb, Corsair H115 PRO water cooler, Gigabyte AorusMaster motherboard, EVGA Super Nova 1000 watt G+ powersupply, G.SKILL 64Gb ram @3800 MHz, HP EX 920 M.2 PCIe 3TB,Windows 10Pro x64

My disapointment is a result of seeing the promo video. I suppose the promo video is made at it's best to generate DCS pilots excitement.

I have no idea what the final release will look like myself, but you should go back and check out the first 3 seconds of the video you are referencing.

Thanks for posting the picture of the real one. I'm afraid if the Devs put in that much panel and canopy glare/reflection they'd be greeted with torches and pitchforks.

Edited by Paganus

I have no idea what the final release will look like myself, but you should go back and check out the first 3 seconds of the video you are referencing.

ok., "WIP". But there is another note saying:

"A release of a feature-complete module is scheduled for January 23rd, 2019"

I doubt it that the dev team is able to polish the basic deficiencies of their graphics programming within the next 14 days.

The promo trailer should show the highlights of the final product, shouldn't it?

Don't get me wrong. I truly appreciate DCS's second release of a purely civil plane. Even more as it is dedicated to aerobatics mainly.

But (un)fortunately I'm fully spoiled with the extraordinary high standard of all DCS's modules so I can't help comparing any "newcomer" with the existing ones.

Edited by wernst