Litening for Hornet

ebabil

And HARM...omg its like dream come true. So many good news. :)
HARM comes later, the post says they simply bring Litening from A-10C while they keep working with HARM and Navy used targeting pod...

This is just their other shortcut to bring a targeting pod quickly for hornet pilots...

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian Hornets aren't flared either ,they do give it a shot of throttle right before touchdown to lower the decent rate usually. The landing gear doesn't like to be gently put down and strange and undesirable things can happen if put down too lightly.
Too bouncy? So you put weight on it quickly, to avoid uncontrolled bouncing at snow and icy strip?

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

AI F-18C can use LITENING and I think two other pods now. And AI F-18C is older model than our F-18C Lot20.

The old AI F-18C loadouts are incorrect, dont use them as a basis for whats realistic abd whats not.

USMC Hornets use Litening on Land and ATFLIR on the boat.

the Litening systems are already coded, so why not code the interface and allow it to be used.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Litening is what we need! Makes the F/A-18C a good ground pounder at last. :thumbup:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

If someone still has any doubt about being able to mount the Litening pod on the side of the aircraft. Oh man this is going to BE GREAT!!! :joystick::joystick::joystick:

No more poor pod with the MAV :lol::lol::lol:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nestorlaorden.net%2F2009%2Ftor9%2Ftor918.jpg&f=1

That is great news. Does anyone know if the Litening pod on Marines Hornet can be slaved to the radar in A/A mode ?

it would be a great help in PVP server for IDing bogeys BVR because half the people are not on SRS to respond the raygun call and the current IFF is unreliable at best !

Edited by FZG_Immel

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

doesn't appear there is a substantial difference. both are closely matched in terms in capabilities

ATFLIR is a bit lighter, and is able said to be more shock resistant of carrier landing, however is more costly in price to the litening. Unlike the ATFLIR the Lightening pod is carried on the Centerline Pylon

in the US, only the USMC uses Litening but only when operating from land ( 3/4ths of the time) . On carriers, they operate the ATFLIR largely for the sake of commonality with USN legacy hornets ( 1/4th of the time) . US navy only operates the ATFLIR irregardless if from carrier or from land.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a498288.pdf

This has been already answered the litening pod can go in the same places as ATFLIR. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3744472&postcount=96

doesn't appear there is a substantial difference. both are closely matched in terms in capabilities

ATFLIR is a bit lighter, and is able said to be more shock resistant of carrier landing, however is more costly in price to the litening. Unlike the ATFLIR the Lightening pod is carried on the Centerline Pylon

Almost all of this is wrong, aside from the atflir being a bit lighter and more expensive.

to be very clear, the Lpod (LITENING) can be carried on the cheek stations on the F/A-18C

Almost all of this is wrong, aside from the atflir being a bit lighter and more expensive.

to be very clear, the Lpod (LITENING) can be carried on the cheek stations on the F/A-18C

What specifically is wrong (honest question, not trying to challenge what you said)?

If someone still has any doubt about being able to mount the Litening pod on the side of the aircraft. Oh man this is going to BE GREAT!!! :joystick::joystick::joystick:

No more poor pod with the MAV :lol::lol::lol:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nestorlaorden.net%2F2009%2Ftor9%2Ftor918.jpg&f=1

But thats sith a new Custom Attachment that isnt modeled in DCS yet.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

That is great news. Does anyone know if the Litening pod on Marines Hornet can be slaved to the radar in A/A mode ?

it would be a great help in PVP server for IDing bogeys BVR because half the people are not on SRS to respond the raygun call and the current IFF is unreliable at best !

Litening Pod is not a Tactical Camera System.

Uh, does that answer imply it cannot be slaved as the OP asked? From the A-10C we know the Litening has an A/A mode so I think the question is very reasonable. Certainly it is not what the Litening is primarily used for but it might be an interesting option. I‘m thinking of a helo which I have locked with my radar at low level and I might want to have the TGP looking there what the helo is actually doing.

IIRC IRL the TGP can be slaved to a ground target designated by the radar in A/G mode in the Hornet. That makes me believe slaving it to a target designated by the radar in A/A mode might be possible.

Uh, does that answer imply it cannot be slaved as the OP asked? From the A-10C we know the Litening has an A/A mode so I think the question is very reasonable. Certainly it is not what the Litening is primarily used for but it might be an interesting option. I‘m thinking of a helo which I have locked with my radar at low level and I might want to have the TGP looking there what the helo is actually doing.

IIRC IRL the TGP can be slaved to a ground target designated by the radar in A/G mode in the Hornet. That makes me believe slaving it to a target designated by the radar in A/A mode might be possible.

In falcon BMS you can slave the TGP(which I believe is a LITENING) to AA radar targets which is indeed very usefull for identifying targets.

In falcon BMS you can slave the TGP(which I believe is a LITENING) to AA radar targets which is indeed very usefull for identifying targets.

in falcon it should be a sniper...but there different tgp are modelled.

Anyway the a10c litening has an aa mode...so i think it can be done

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Seriously, LITENING was asked about countless times since the Hornet was first announced.

Always no no no.

Makes me think ATFLIR and the new infrared rendering development are not going well at all. LITENING is clearly plan B, hopefully a relatively painless plug and play for the dev team.

I think there might be another reason called LANTIRN... they just don't want to have the Cat overtaking their new flagship in A/G terms when it gets available soon. And probably, there's just the point that they can use some tech from the LITENING to develop the ATFLIR, so why not bring that one as well while they're at it when the USMC Hornets use it? rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

that it is not, I know.

If it can be slaved to the A/A radar, like the sniper is, in Falcon BMS, would be VERY usefull for ID...

that is my question

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

This has been already answered the litening pod can go in the same places as ATFLIR. https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3744472&postcount=96

yes but as an interesting point brought up by Skate it wont be possible in game ( at least not now), due to being a different attachment point with that cheek.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3745211&postcount=110

From in game reference ED with how modeled the prior F/A18 AI Hornet, it can't cheek carry Litening, only nitehawk on cheek station. Logically that mean that at an earlier point in time the capability wasn't there, since otherwise ED would have just included it for that station. Another theory that maybe it was possible but ED didn't at the time have a source to confirm on such possibility.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

What specifically is wrong (honest question, not trying to challenge what you said)?

Besides where the Lpod can be carried, "almost everything else" was not incorrect. The misconception ( which certainly didn't start with me) wasalready rectified by countless forum community members including RL pilot LEX.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Seriously, LITENING was asked about countless times since the Hornet was first announced.

Always no no no.

Makes me think ATFLIR and the new infrared rendering development are not going well at all. LITENING is clearly plan B, hopefully a relatively painless plug and play for the dev team.

It's more along the lines of, the Litening Pod Systems are coded, and it's compatible with the Hornet, so why not, there are Marine Pilots IRL that prefer the AN/AAQ-28 over the AN/ASQ-228 and vise versa.

It wasnt planned, but plans are subject to change, I dont see why you'd complain about MORE content.

The ATFLIR and New IR System are on track, the A-10C will likely benefit greatly from this as well as the Upcoming F-16CJ

yes but as an interesting point brought up by Skate it wont be possible in game ( at least not now), due to being a different attachment point with that cheek.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3745211&postcount=110

From in game reference ED with how modeled the prior F/A18 AI Hornet, it can't cheek carry Litening, only nitehawk on cheek station. Logically that mean that at an earlier point in time the capability wasn't there, since otherwise ED would have just included it for that station. Another theory that maybe it was possible but ED didn't at the time have a source to confirm on such possibility.

Correct, the Intake attachment being used is a new attachment being used by Spain,

the USMC Does not use this attachment, they use a modified Centerline BRU w/ Added Databus.

Advantages, Centerline gives Centered Un-Obstructed view of everything below Aircraft.

The Intake Station is obstructed by the airframe and stores.

I think his reactions is more towards the way you said it, announced it... as if no one has asked for it or pointed out that it is in DCS already at all.

No biggie, just mentioning. No one is against more content, unless it is the F-16 ;)

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I just read this. I have been waiting for a TGP for the F-18 for ages! My number one overriding concern however, and it's important, is this:

AT LAST!!! I LOVE YOU ED!!!!!

SkateZilla please consider forwarding this very specific concern to the devs (perhaps via a bug report). Might just make someone's day who's not expecting it :)

This seems totally wrong to me, as ED said they are simulating a Navy F-18C Hornet, so it should not have the Litening pod, it's the same reason why they gave the AGM-65F to the Hornet.

well, they also gave us USMC skins from the get go..

who cares ?`

if you think it's unreal on a USN Hornet, don't use it

This seems totally wrong to me, as ED said they are simulating a Navy F-18C Hornet, so it should not have the Litening pod, it's the same reason why they gave the AGM-65F to the Hornet.

The USN Lot 20 can carry the Litening Pod, where do you think the USMC gets their Hornets from?. The US Navy.

The Litening Simply isnt used by the USMC when on the ship for 2 Reasons.

A. Less Inventory to carry

B. Litening isnt certified for Carrier Ops nor The Salt Water environment.

Litening is used by USMC otherwise because they got the Litening PODs cheaper. and the USMC Budget is a fraction of the other branch's budget.