Target waypoint is off

bilberryhawk

Is INS drift simulated and if, is there a way to update the INS. I flew a longer mission and my target location in the hud was way off from the actual position. I started with a already running Hornet on a carrier. So wrong INS alignment should not be the reason.

Thanks for your help.

Screen_190102_193557.thumb.png.fd11f7f30bce6cbf382c62fb83161691.png

Screen_190102_193631.thumb.png.bb328c21fd5e36fb9195e92c045f7a17.png

Screen_190102_193714.thumb.png.d46a016b666d643e2552959b94d0d538.png

Is INS drift simulated and if, is there a way to update the INS. I flew a longer mission and my target location in the hud was way off from the actual position. I started with a already running Hornet on a carrier. So wrong INS alignment should not be the reason.

Thanks for your help.

As far as i know, INS is not implemented in the hornet just yet. Also, coordinates from the map will not match whats in the HSI. Cant even begin to tell you why...

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

As far as i know, INS is not implemented in the hornet just yet. Also, coordinates from the map will not match whats in the HSI. Cant even begin to tell you why...

INS has been implemented since early access release . I use it regularly for navigation . I have not noted much , if any , drift , although i should note that hard maneuvering is not undertaken on the nav missions i like to fly . I would expect that the op's problem is due to limitations of current waypoint data entry format or possibly hard maneuvering . IRL , the only way to update INS is via GPS , not yet implemented .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Yes elevation is correct. I did some more testing. It also happens when I spawn in the air next to Batumi. So INS Drift cant be the reason. The strange thing is, it only happens in this mission, as if something is interfering with the Hornet.

Fly over it and check if the plane's movement has anything to do with it. I've been struggling with waypoint drift/misplacement since launch

INS has been implemented since early access release . I use it regularly for navigation . I have not noted much , if any , drift , although i should note that hard maneuvering is not undertaken on the nav missions i like to fly . I would expect that the op's problem is due to limitations of current waypoint data entry format or possibly hard maneuvering . IRL , the only way to update INS is via GPS , not yet implemented .

INS alignment currently does nothing in the hornet. You can just flip it to NAV and go as the subsystem is not implemented yet.

Yes it counts down and all that, but the INS drift and alignment does nothing right now. INS will be implemented after IFF.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

INS alignment currently does nothing in the hornet. You can just flip it to NAV and go as the subsystem is not implemented yet.

Yes it counts down and all that, but the INS drift and alignment does nothing right now. INS will be implemented after IFF.

No doubt that further enhancements of realistic INS are yet to be implemented , but if you are flying via waypoints , you are flying via INS as currently modeled .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

No doubt that further enhancements of realistic INS are yet to be implemented , but if you are flying via waypoints , you are flying via INS as currently modeled .

yes, but actual alignment and drift are not implemented. You can switch right to NAV and navigate to waypoints and enter coordinates all day long without punishment. I wouldnt call that a functional INS, more so a basic waypoint nav system you get in a FC3 jet.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Well it seems like I found the failure. The Hud does not compensate for the outside air temperature. First picture -12.4C, second 20C, third 50C.

are you setting your altimeter for the weather as well? not sure if that will throw it off.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

altimeter was 29.92 in all cases. should not be the reason. Seems I have found a bug.

So the altimeter setting could easily affect this. The aircraft only knows where to show the diamond because of the information available to it:

• it knows the target is X miles away, it can work this out using the aircraft's current position from GPS/INS and the pre-programmed lat/long of the target waypoint.
  • it knows the target is Y feet above sea level as this was programmed into the HSI DATA page for that waypoint.
  • it knows this plane is currently altitude Z feet above sea level, I would imagine it does this using the altimeter rather than from GPS/INS data.

It can then use this information to work out how many degrees below the horizon to draw the target diamond: basically Tan(angle) = (Z - Y) / X

However, if the altimeter setting is wrong then the computer might think the plane is Z altitude above sea level, but it actually isn't, it's actually some other number. So it will calculate the wrong angle and display the diamond in the wrong place.

The correct altimeter setting to get the altimeter to show feet above sea level varies according to the outside air pressure, which varies with temperature. Setting your altimeter to 29.92 does not mean it will automatically give the right elevation above sea level.

Edited by Tomsk

Yes you are correct the F18 seems to only take the barometric altitude into account at the moment. If I correct for the ISA difference with the QNH setting the TGT is on point in the HUD. The radaraltimeter is also not taken into account at the moment. I guess we have to wait for the implementation of GPS or other means of compensation to get accurate indications.

Yes you are correct the F18 seems to only take the barometric altitude into account at the moment. If I correct for the ISA difference with the QNH setting the TGT is on point in the HUD. The radaraltimeter is also not taken into account at the moment. I guess we have to wait for the implementation of GPS or other means of compensation to get accurate indications.

Agreed. This is either a bug or a feature not yet implemented as the aircraft is still beta.

While I’ve never flown an f18 (or a plane with a HUD), having the pilot manually correct the barometric pressure for OAT would be very taxing. Especially while climbing or diving where OAT is rapidly changing.

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this a bug in DCS, or a limitation of a real hornet?

I don't think we know .. but if I were designing the Hornet my first thought would be to do those calculations based on the GPS/INS data. Seems far more likely to be accurate.

Perhaps someone knows ... or perhaps the NATOPs says somewhere ...

So is this a bug in DCS, or a limitation of a real hornet?

I’m no f18 driver, but ask the Viggen DCS pilots how difficult this is on their 1960s navigation system. It’s painfully difficult and being off by a small margin can make a big difference.

Seeing as how the a10c does this automagically And the two planes share a similar navigation system, I believe we can call this a bug or a feature not yet implemented in the open beta.

I’m no f18 driver, but ask the Viggen DCS pilots how difficult this is on their 1960s navigation system. It’s painfully difficult and being off by a small margin can make a big difference.

Seeing as how the a10c does this automagically And the two planes share a similar navigation system, I believe we can call this a bug or a feature not yet implemented in the open beta.

it is probably dude to the INS not being fully implemented. Right now it is just basic waypoint NAV with zero alignment ability.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com