Worth buying the viggen if you have A10c? few questions:)

TonyStovepipe

Hi all.

Looking at the viggen it seems like a nice module with lots of support from its developers. But I as already have the A10c would the viggen be too much of the same as it does mostly ground strikes also?

I don't know if it can do air to air very well but it got to be better then the A10c if I wanted a change of doing ground attacks.

The thing that interested me the most now is the ground radar and the ability to add mark points in missions for online play so I can do multiple strikes. But how do you handle fog of war online? If you can't see the enemy then you can't set mark points to attack?

Thanks for any information :)

Both are ground attack aircraft but the Viggen operates completely differently from the A-10.

The Hog loiters around an area where no air threats are present and can find its targets as it loiters with its fancy sensors.

The Viggen requires far more pre-planning for its missions, navigates to said objective at tree top level to avoid detection and defences, drops its ordnance in one pass and egresses at mach 1+ also at tree top level (clean it will do M 1.3 actually). It's an amazing machine and one of the most fun modules to fly in my opinion.

I do not fly online so I can't comment there, but all in all I thoroughly recommend the Viggen, it's truly amazing and works very differently from any other module in DCS.

edit: these are the videos that sold me on the Viggen

Edited by TLTeo

A10c and the Viggen are two were different airplanes both when it comes to tactics and performance.

The Viggen was designed as a low flying strike aircraft that makes one pass on the targets and then gets out of there. Where the a 10 is more cas oriented and can loiter a target and re-attack multiple targets.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Completely different tactics, operation procedures and capabilities.

Viggen is very unique airframe in DCS. Which makes it interesting, at least for most of us here :)

But it's not A2A platform. It can carry few Sidewinders and gunpods, and fly faster than a speed of sound in a straight line, but that's about it.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Highly recommended. Viggen is just fun! It does air to ground like A-10 - but otherwise it's just polar opposite with completely different strengths & weaknesses.

Cool cold war tech, wide variety of weapons & the speed! Plus it's just one of the nicest planes to fly.

Lähetetty minun EVA-L09 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Apart from both being A2G platforms the A-10 and the Viggen have absolutly nothing in common. The A-10 is more similar to the Harrier or the Hornet than it is to the Viggen. The A-10 is a dedicated CAS aircraft, while the Viggen is a deep strike interdictor, using totally different tactics and systems.

The Viggen is defintely a lot of fun, as it is these kind of missions that are very intense (flying at low level at high speed behind enemy lines to avoid enemy AA and fighters).

I fly the Viggen a lot in multiplayer, but I don't really understand your question about multiple strikes? The Viggen is usally a one strike aircraft, that gets to the target, does one single attack run to expend all its weapons, and then gets out of there as quickly as possible. Of course, you can rearm back at base and then strike again.

And what do you mean by setting markpoints? The markpoints on the F10 map? They are not depending on the type of aircraft you fly.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

+1 For the whole fanboy stuff mentioned above. It's great.

To answer your question a lot of servers have ground commander slots in which you can see enemy ground units in visual range of friendly units. If that is not the case you still have some autogenerated cartridges which you can modify for ingress or generate new ones based on elint missions

Gesendet von meinem SM-G960F mit Tapatalk

My two cents ...

The Viggen has a ground mapping radar, two types of anti-shipping missiles (RB04 and RB15), a remote controlled missile (RB05) and a stand-off cluster munition bomb (BK90). It all makes the Viggen a very unique and fun plane.

Thanks all I bought it today :D

Even pop into uni and printed some guides for tonight training seesion.

Good choice! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Quick question what the best way to export the radar screen to my second monitor like you would do with the a10c mfd?

Thank you.

I wont be as naïve to say why would you want to, but generally speaking when using the radar on the Viggen it will be the only thing you're looking at - a lot of the real ones had cones the pilot would stick his face into (from photos) - generally because aside from obstacle detection mode, you're only generally looking at the radar when not doing other stuff. I only say that because the external screen might have better value set for something else (granted I can't think of what). I guess I find unlike other modules where I would kill for a better IRL view of a component - the HUD font size on the Viggen is the only component I struggle with seeing on occasion.

To the OP - while hammered by everyone else, think of the A10 as CAS and the AJS37 as Ground Attack (to boil both down extremely). Different missions, styles, munitions, and ideas. As mentioned, Viggen is really a deep strike in-and-out bird, with no other modules in DCS to share the mission style with. So it is unique, which makes it fun. However I've seen a lot of people hate it because it wasn't an A10 or AV8 - really they just don't understand it is very much not a multi-role bird, it does a hand full of unique to DCS (and IRL) things very well and sucks at everything else. Let her do her thing, you'll be hooked. Want her to be anything else, leave disappointed. Since you already put the $$ down, welcome to the Viggen family.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

I wont be as naïve to say why would you want to, but generally speaking when using the radar on the Viggen it will be the only thing you're looking at - a lot of the real ones had cones the pilot would stick his face into (from photos) - generally because aside from obstacle detection mode, you're only generally looking at the radar when not doing other stuff. I only say that because the external screen might have better value set for something else (granted I can't think of what). I guess I find unlike other modules where I would kill for a better IRL view of a component - the HUD font size on the Viggen is the only component I struggle with seeing on occasion.

To the OP - while hammered by everyone else, think of the A10 as CAS and the AJS37 as Ground Attack (to boil both down extremely). Different missions, styles, munitions, and ideas. As mentioned, Viggen is really a deep strike in-and-out bird, with no other modules in DCS to share the mission style with. So it is unique, which makes it fun. However I've seen a lot of people hate it because it wasn't an A10 or AV8 - really they just don't understand it is very much not a multi-role bird, it does a hand full of unique to DCS (and IRL) things very well and sucks at everything else. Let her do her thing, you'll be hooked. Want her to be anything else, leave disappointed. Since you already put the $$ down, welcome to the Viggen family.

I have a spare monitor I use for the a10c and thought the viggens radar would be good on there. I have not got that far into the tutorial stages but so far I really like the viggen.

It's a nice change from the a10c to blow stuff up and get out quick then to fly around and take things out one by one.

I have a spare monitor I use for the a10c and thought the viggens radar would be good on there. I have not got that far into the tutorial stages but so far I really like the viggen.

It's a nice change from the a10c to blow stuff up and get out quick then to fly around and take things out one by one.

Yep she is a great bird to fly. If you have the monitor go crazy, I was just saying unlike other aircraft displays where I wish I had extra monitors to work with - the Viggen displays everything well, and I don't find myself thinking of spending a little $$ for extra MFD type displays or an extra monitor.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming