F-14B AUTOPILOT ?

Satarosa

I think its :

ACL - Automatic Carrier Landing

GT - Ground Tracking

But dont ask me further ... im also just starting to read through all the docs available in the net. :-)

A lot about ACLS in F-14 is shown in this video.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Nothing on GT feature as far I know. Let's hope Heatblur will give us that in the Tomcat

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

From flight manual:

AUTOPILOT ENGAGE —OFF switch

ENGAGE — Engages autopilot. PITCH, ROLL, and YAW SAS switches must

be engaged. No warmup required. Engages attitude hold.

Requires weight off wheels.

OFF — Disengages autopilot.

HDG-OFF-GT switch

HDG — Autopilot will lock on constant aircraft heading when aircraft is

less than ±5 roll.

OFF — Disengages heading hold and ground track.

GT — Selects autopilot ground tracking computed at time of engagement

using inertia navigation system (INS) data. Engaged by

nosewheel steering pushbutton. Engaged by nosewheel steering

pushbutton.

(comment: I guess this compensates for wind drift, contrary to HDG above)

ALT-OFF switch

ALT — Autopilot will maintain barometric altitude. Engaged by nosewheel

steering pushbutton.

OFF— Disengages altitude mode.

VEC/PCD-OFF-ACL

VEC/PCD — Autopilot roll axis commands steer aircraft using data link signals

for vectoring. If the precision course direction (PCD) discrete

is present both roll and pitch axis commands are used.

Engaged by nosewheel steering pushbutton.

OFF — Disengages VEC/PCD and ACL modes.

ACL — Autopilot will accept data link signals for carrier landing, using

spoilers for roll and parallel servo for pitch. Only pitch commands

are transmitted to stick movement. Engaged and disengaged

by nosewheel steering pushbutton.

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

From flight manual:

AUTOPILOT ENGAGE —OFF switch

ENGAGE — Engages autopilot. PITCH, ROLL, and YAW SAS switches must

be engaged. No warmup required. Engages attitude hold.

Requires weight off wheels.

OFF — Disengages autopilot.

HDG-OFF-GT switch

HDG — Autopilot will lock on constant aircraft heading when aircraft is

less than ±5 roll.

OFF — Disengages heading hold and ground track.

GT — Selects autopilot ground tracking computed at time of engagement

using inertia navigation system (INS) data. Engaged by

nosewheel steering pushbutton. Engaged by nosewheel steering

pushbutton.

(comment: I guess this compensates for wind drift, contrary to HDG above)

ALT-OFF switch

ALT — Autopilot will maintain barometric altitude. Engaged by nosewheel

steering pushbutton.

OFF— Disengages altitude mode.

VEC/PCD-OFF-ACL

VEC/PCD — Autopilot roll axis commands steer aircraft using data link signals

for vectoring. If the precision course direction (PCD) discrete

is present both roll and pitch axis commands are used.

Engaged by nosewheel steering pushbutton.

OFF — Disengages VEC/PCD and ACL modes.

ACL — Autopilot will accept data link signals for carrier landing, using

spoilers for roll and parallel servo for pitch. Only pitch commands

are transmitted to stick movement. Engaged and disengaged

by nosewheel steering pushbutton.

So GT, we can say that is a route mod to navigate from waypoints to waypoints with autopilot?

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GT will maintain Ground Track.

If HDG maintain heading with compass.

The GT maintains heading over ground using INS data.

Analoge to this is the difference between "True airspeed" and "ground speed".

• 2 months later...

The manual mentions it also has Attitude Mode

Autopilot modes available are attitude hold, heading hold, ground track, altitude hold, vector/pcd (precision course

direction) and acl (automatic carrier landing).

, but does not explain how to engage this... What am I missing...

Thanks.

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

The manual mentions it also has Attitude Mode , but does not explain how to engage this... What am I missing...

Thanks.

Attitude hold is just simply when you ENGAGE the AP with the inboard master switch on the AP panel. It will hold whatever attitude (bank and pitch) you leave the aircraft - so for eample you can put the aircraft in a 20 degree bank to the left and let the stick go - the AP will trim and hold that bank/pitch. You can speed up and slow down and the AP will auto-trim for you, so you can also use it as an auto-trim in that regard with an engage then disengage. But ideally AP should not be used above 400KIAS as per NATOPS limitations.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude hold is just simply when you ENGAGE the AP with the inboard master switch on the AP panel. It will hold whatever attitude (bank and pitch) you leave the aircraft - so for example you can put the aircraft in a 20 degree bank to the left and let the stick go - the AP will trim and hold that bank/pitch. You can speed up and slow down and the AP will auto-trim for you, so you can also use it as an auto-trim in that regard with an engage then disengage. But ideally AP should not be used above 400KIAS as per NATOPS limitations.

Roger...:pilotfly:

Thanks. :thumbup:

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

Sorry if I missed this here, but I am a bit confused about the controls for AP. Several of them are controlled by the NWS button, but they don't work.

The manual says this about AP:

4. VEC/PCD/ACL switch

Switch controlling the remote control modes of autopilot.

VEC/PCD - Vector/PCD mode. Roll and pitch axis is controlled by data link. Engaged by NWS button on pilot stick.

OFF - Function off.

ACL - Automatic carrier landing mode. Engaged by NWS button on pilot stick.

5. ALT switch ON/OFF switch, enables altitude hold. Engaged by NWS button on pilot stick.

6. HDG switch

Selects HDG hold mode.

HDG - Engages heading hold mode.

OFF - Heading hold off.

GT - Ground track mode, engaged by NWS button on pilot stick.

And then, for the NWS on the Stick it says:

6. Autopilot reference & nosewheel steering button Button toggling nosewheel steering with weight on wheels.

Without weight on wheels is used to engage enabled autopilot modes.

But when I press the NWS button on the stick, or the N Keycommand, no switches move. Is this functional in the OB yet?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

But when I press the NWS button on the stick, or the N Keycommand, no switches move. Is this functional in the OB yet?

Yes it is functional - to put it simply, any AP mode that when selected results in the A/P REF light being illuminated at the bottom of the vertical ladder lights next to the VDI, requires a push of the NWS button to 'engage'. ALT HOLD for example.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks, yes I have tried it with the Autopilot Enabled. I'll look for the AP Ref light. Thanks.

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Yeah, really it's unclear. I just tried it and really what you need to do is select a mode. THEN hit the autopilot engage switch. Then the light will turn in next to the VSI. THEN hit the NWS button. THEN autopilot works.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

The GT mod in the game, doing what?

It's an autopilot Mode similar to heading hold, but compensating for wind drift.

To engage switch HDG-OFF-GT switch to GT position. When the A/P REF warning light (13) illuminates, press the nosewheel steering pushbutton on the control stick grip. When the A/P REF warning light goes off, the mode is engaged.

gOzoZWP.jpg

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It's an autopilot Mode similar to heading hold, but compensating for wind drift.

To engage switch HDG-OFF-GT switch to GT position. When the A/P REF warning light (13) illuminates, press the nosewheel steering pushbutton on the control stick grip. When the A/P REF warning light goes off, the mode is engaged.

gOzoZWP.jpg

Except that this doesn’t work. The A/P ref light doesn’t illuminate for GT Mode. Looks like it’s still to be added.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Raubritter said:

still have a problem

Yeah two years later, GT mode still hasn't been added. Personally I've not found a great need for it, since winds don't change with location. But would be nice if it got looked at in the march to completeness. 

Edited by AvroLanc