Building my first VR cockpit !

Jamngemini

Hi my name is Neil and my S.O. is Elandrea,

Through my inspiration and countless hours of a one sided conversation she finally agreed to be my RIO. How excited was I!!

Background history: (Neil) my grandfather who is deceased now gave me the passion for aviation while I was in my diapers climbing on and in the EAA experimental builds he built for many years! I was so fascinated by the excitement in his voice and knowledge about why a airplane is a airplane, he was theory happy and made perfect sense so much so that my young mind could actually follow his, it was a very bondable experience! Some time in my early years I fully committed to be a pilot when I grew up. My last name served our country for 6 generations! I felt I was obligated to do the same.

I did very good in my schooling because that's what grandpa said I needed to do to become a pilot! I had the grades my entire curriculum to achieve my goal until the reality of a failing heart haulted EVERYTHING! I am 40 yrs old with 2 open heart surgeries and currently fighting with disability!

The dream never diminished: I was introduced to flight simulators when I was young so my hands-on in a functional cockpit fascinated me. I spent at least 6 years in IEN's warbird simulator with thrtl+jstk+pedals. Story short I got good with prop pulling ACM, studied energy retention fighters most of my career behind the stick, p47D was my expertise but learned all ww2 aircraft including the boring high altitude climbs of the b17, b29, b25. Jabo work was my specialty.

I am very excited to have come across DCS!!! I have been watching the Grim Reapers for a couple months on YouTube (the group I found to fly together) any others squadrons I'm highly interested in watching, I learn so much from just visuals I can't wait to get hands on! My commitment to building a in home cockpit is in full speed, it will take me a minute but I am currently studying what It would take to build a PC that could handle 2x VR (f14 cockpit mainly but intended for any multi seat airframe) just need some great new ideas from the people who already know what's up!!

I am your biggest fan until I can fly :pilotfly:

Welcome to DCS and the forums :thumbup: It will be very interesting to hear of your further progress with your pit . You may find this forum helpful .

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Welcome to the DCS family :)

All the best for your endeavour :pilotfly:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

.....................cut..........

it will take me a minute but I am currently studying what It would take to build a PC that could handle 2x VR (f14 cockpit mainly but intended for any multi seat airframe) just need some great new ideas from the people who already know what's up!!

I am your biggest fan until I can fly :pilotfly:

You will need TWO Computers, tho both can be in 1 case if that needs to be, but I would not do that unless you are an experienced builder. The cases are rare that can accomodate 2 rigs and those arent cheap either. I'd go with 2 builds in 2 cases, you can go ITX to keep them small, 2x16GB modules, 1 x GPU, CPU and 1 or 2 NVMe drives...sleek, fast, small, little cables.

Watercool your rig, either AIO or DIY if you go with the newest Intel chips. You could cool BOTH rigs with ONE DIY-Loop if you scale it right. Ask me if you wanna go this route.

If I was you, HOLD OFF until Ryzen 3000 series is here, not much longer, they will blow the Intels out of this Milky Way, I am 99% sure.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

So this is my beginning setup, far from final I believe but could sure use thumbs up if all looks clean!

Thrustmaster HOTAS warthog joystick setup X2

Oculas Rift X2

Thrustmaster TOR pedals x2

Vizio 40" x2 for guests

Pc build:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400g 3.6 GHz Quad core

MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX AM4

Corsair vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 3000

Samsung 970 Ero 250 GB m.2 2280 DAD

EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming

DIYPC p48-w ATX mid tower

EVGA BE 450 ATX PSU

Win 10 home 64 bit

Creative labs sound blaster RX 24 bit 192KHz

QNAP QXG-10G1T PCIe X4 10gbit/s

120 mm fan

Logitech m570 wireless trackball

I do have a pc already but no where near capable of DCS, although it does have a new duel core 1TB hard drive and the PSu that can be maybe used to save money and time. Please comment on my progress for I am green in the building a pc but very capable, studying airplanes and how they function for almost the entirety of my life, if i can convince my SO to learn how to be a RIO for me and learn the complexity of a Tomcat i can build a PC!

FWIW

I have no issue with AMD but DCS really needs the fastest clock frequency you can muster, I understand AMD are developing higher speed CPU's even GPU's (yay maybe some competition) but there not out yet. So currently in the clock department Intel are the go. Having said that Vulkan should leverage multicore use so that may change the dynamics when when DCS implements it.

So maybe consider a 9600K.

You don't need a sound card onboard sound is fine and I don't think it's even needed for Rift just for speakers/headphone for non VR stuff.

Currently DCS VR is GPU intensive so might pay to do some research on that.

You can use the onboard ethernet, I'm looking at doing a similar setup for my partner as well but need to go through a MP server so when it comes down to it your DSL speed is the limiting factor unless your hosting a MP server locally and even then 1Gb is fast enough.

16GB RAM i'd think about 32GB especially for more complex MP missions again more research.

YMMV :thumbup:

Edited by FragBum
<typo>

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Above is single thread cpu performance comparison . And no , you will be disappointed with 1060's performance in Vr . Most consider the 1070 to be the minimum . You'll need a larger power supply for the 1070 (or better) as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

How about this build my fellow pilots?

I5 8600k 3.6 GHz 6 core unlocked

Ml240l 66.7 com

MSI z370 sli plus

Corsair vengeance LPX 16gb x2

500gb m.2

Geforce GTX 1080 SC Gaming

Mx330 mid tower

Supernova G2 550 psi

Any feedback is my appreciated from my family

Much better ! And you have all bases covered for DCS' upcoming Vulcan implementation as well :)

I would compare prices on a rtx 2070 vs the 1080 though . If the same , go with the 2070 .

And you might save a little money by losing the sli version motherboard . DCS doesn't support sli anyway . A plain z370 will work just as well .

Edited by Svsmokey

Can I suggest maybe 750W PSU I just like to have some headroom with PSU's I take it you haven't done a lot of PC builds but modular PSU's allow for a much neater setup just saying.

I'm really torn here with GPU's and being a VR nut would say 2080Ti all the way but it's a lot of money for a small return although I'm happy with it I couldn't say it is worth it in a practical sense but I would lean towards a 2080 if the price point isn't too bad, I get you need to build 2 machines as I said my partner is okay to jump on board so I am also looking at a second build but I only need to build an additional PC not 2.

@svsmoky I downloaded that benchmark test app holy dooley batman. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

@svsmoky I downloaded that benchmark test app holy dooley batman. :D

:) Yes , it is instructive !

FWIW

You don't need a sound card onboard sound is fine and I don't think it's even needed for Rift just for speakers/headphone for non VR stuff.

Currently DCS VR is GPU intensive so might pay to do some research on that.

Frag is correct on your GPU choice. I think for VR, you are gonna wanna step that up as high as you can actually for best results. Or make a main rig and put a beefier GPU(2070/80) in that one and a lower powered GPU(1080) in the 'secondary' machine. But as a VR user VR requires as much juice as you can afford to throw at it.

As for a standalone sound card. They are only useful really if you want to go tactile transducer route. I have one because I got a Buttkicker and use SimShaker. But Frag again is correct, not needed if not going for rumble in the butt. On-board will handle normal usage.

Good luck. It's fun stuff alright.

And I predict this thread might get moved..lol

Edited by Torso

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3749536&postcount=221

This post has a chart at the bottom showing the relative performance vs price point of several GPUs . Click on the pic to enlarge .