Any plans for a data cartridge?

FalcoGer

8 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

You should check out the DICE countermeasure programing program.

Mobius708

That's what I said. ED should give us access to a file for configuring some settings (RDR, HMD, Radio, waypoints, ...), like it's possible with the CMS in a lua file.

Edited by mastah
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mastah said:

That's what I said. ED should give us access to a file for configuring some settings (RDR, HMD, Radio, waypoints, ...), like it's possible with the CMS in a lua file.

I would prefer if ED would give us the ingame data cartridge feature that they teasered over a year ago, so we don't have to mess with lua files...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I would prefer if ED would give us the ingame data cartridge feature that they teasered over a year ago, so we don't have to mess with lua files...

Same ... but if we have to wait 1-2 more years, I would rather have at least something in the mean time !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarbossPetross said:

JF-17 has had the DTC (and the transonic vapour cone) from the start IIRC, and you can edit countermeasure programs from the in-game module options menu. The source code is already available to ED as per their agreements with 3d party developers. Make of it what you will.

I make of that: ED doesnt want to use the specific implementation that DIS set up for the Jeff. Which, IMO, is sensible as well, because having to use that through the special options is clunky. My personal guess is that ED is working on a comprehensive DTC API, useable for all current and future planes that use a DTC (or similar system), that will be more flexible to use from within the ME or the spawning interface / ground crew menu.

If you take a look at Wags most recent CMDS Viper video he mentions "later, when we add the DTC" in it, so I am expecting it to be somewhat closer that we may think. Just my 0,02€.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

38 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

My personal guess is that ED is working on a comprehensive DTC API, useable for all current and future planes that use a DTC (or similar system), that will be more flexible to use from within the ME or the spawning interface / ground crew menu.

If you take a look at Wags most recent CMDS Viper video he mentions "later, when we add the DTC" in it, so I am expecting it to be somewhat closer that we may think. Just my 0,02€.

You don't have to make guesses how it will look like. Wags has already presented how it will look like. See here:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, WarbossPetross said:

JF-17 has had the DTC (and the transonic vapour cone) from the start IIRC, and you can edit countermeasure programs from the in-game module options menu. The source code is already available to ED as per their agreements with 3d party developers. Make of it what you will.

ED has DTC,  transonic cone and more code on progress to build APIs to work on various modules, has the same with maked with the ground radar and others, no depend or work of a externals, building your constructions blocks to improve the simulator core and mod them as needed. 

Edited by Silver_Dragon

32 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

You don't have to make guesses how it will look like. Wags has already presented how it will look like. See here:

Personally, this (at least) also needs to be available from the slot selection in MP (so you pick an aircraft, hit fly, and then before entering the cockpit you get a mission planner which allows you to define the steerpoints, and these settings, and when done it spawns you in), you could do the same thing for SP after hitting fly, for aircraft starting cold (and these settings should then be available in the mission editor).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

6 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Personally, that needs to be available via the ground crew or in the lobby for MP, not tucked away in the special options.

Especially so for steerpoints (I'm not knowledgable enough on the Hornet to know what each steerpoint does), and weapon profiles (such as pre-planned targets for certain weapon types).

I would prefer if this would be part of the Mission Planer, so not tucked as far away as the special options, but further away than what you do in the cockpit. The Mission Planner would be the right place IMHO.
Now the issue is that the Mission Planner is not available in multiplayer, so that would need to change first... :music_whistling:

• Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

43 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

I would prefer if this would be part of the Mission Planer, so not tucked as far away as the special options, but further away than what you do in the cockpit. The Mission Planner would be the right place IMHO.
Now the issue is that the Mission Planner is not available in multiplayer, so that would need to change first... :music_whistling:

Yes, what we need is a mission planner, not so much a concern for single player (though we still need these settings in the mission editor, perhaps under 'additional properties for aircraft'), and in MP, I guess when you're in the slot selection, you click an aircraft, press fly, and it brings you to a mission planner, which gives you something like the F10 map, but allows you to set up all steerpoints/waypoints (including pre-planned threats and what have you), and also contains all of these settings.

There should also be a way to save this settings as files, which would allow us to define user presets, and thenin the ground crew menu or something, we can browse for the DTC file we want to use.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

53 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Yes, what we need is a mission planner, not so much a concern for single player (though we still need these settings in the mission editor, perhaps under 'additional properties for aircraft'), and in MP, I guess when you're in the slot selection, you click an aircraft, press fly, and it brings you to a mission planner, which gives you something like the F10 map, but allows you to set up all steerpoints/waypoints (including pre-planned threats and what have you), and also contains all of these settings.

There should also be a way to save this settings as files, which would allow us to define user presets, and thenin the ground crew menu or something, we can browse for the DTC file we want to use.

The Mission Planer already exists in DCS. You can access it on singleplayer missions on the briefing screen (see screenshot). That's exactly what we need in multiplayer, so that, after you selected a slot, you can plan your mission, just like you said. And that's where I would prefer to configure the data cartridge.

Mission Planner.png

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

The Mission Planer already exists in DCS. You can access it on singleplayer missions on the briefing screen (see screenshot). That's exactly what we need in multiplayer, so that, after you selected a slot, you can plan your mission, just like you said. And that's where I would prefer to configure the data cartridge.

Mission Planner.png

How have I never seen that?

And yes, absolutely, stick the DTC editor in there and we're all good.

And for multiplayer, have this present when you select an aircraft.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

System:

4 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

How have I never seen that?

Over the years, from my activitiy here on the forums, I got the impression that this feature has been overlooked by a lot of DCS players even though it's been there from the start 😄
Btw, this is also what the "Hide on Planner" feature in the mission editor refers to, when you want to make units invisible on this tool.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Tornado3 small.jpg

30 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

this feature has been overlooked by a lot of DCS player

It caused more confusion than it was usefull back in the days. If you were not very carefull and knew exactly what you did, it would just mess up your A-10C DSMS / INV, rendering your aircraft virtually useless in that mission.

Maybe other aircraft nowadays are not that sensitive in that regard, but I know that 10 years ago, I ran into this issue 3 or 4 times with the Warthog and also read a couple of posts of ppl with the same issue. Then I just ignored this feature. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Flagrum

2 hours ago, Flagrum said:

It caused more confusion than it was usefull back in the days. If you were not very carefull and knew exactly what you did, it would just mess up your A-10C DSMS / INV, rendering your aircraft virtually useless in that mission.

Maybe other aircraft nowadays are not that sensitive in that regard, but I know that 10 years ago, I ran into this issue 3 or 4 times with the Warthog and also read a couple of posts of ppl with the same issue. Then I just ignored this feature. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, you can definitely mess up the mission (e.g. if you delete or move waypoints by accident), but isn't that the point of planning a mission, that you need to be thorough with what you do? 😄

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

move waypoints by accident

I can't remember the details or the exact issue, but changing your loadout in the mission planner confused the DSMS as the jet would spawn with the original INV settings but the new loadout or vice versa. Iirc, you had to reload the INV then, but that would not always help. Your DSMS would then be sprinkled with red text everywhere 😄
Or something like that.

10 minutes ago, Flagrum said:

I can't remember the details or the exact issue, but changing your loadout in the mission planner confused the DSMS as the jet would spawn with the original INV settings but the new loadout or vice versa. Iirc, you had to reload the INV then, but that would not always help. Your DSMS would then be sprinkled with red text everywhere 😄
Or something like that.

Oh wow, I haven't heard of that so far!

Tornado3 small.jpg

4 hours ago, QuiGon said:

I know that thread, but given that it is 2 years old a lot may have changed, which is why I was just posting best guesses.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

• 5 weeks later...