DCS WW1

Devil 505

Ok, I am doing this. They are old aircraft, but its still combat, and its where our passion started. I would love to see DCS level WW1 air combat. I know IL-2 has FLying Circus, but I would love to see DCS level aircraft. This would open up literally a TON of different aircraft, not to mention the insane online play this would create. I vaguely remember this being brought up before, but with the new technology DCS has, I would love to battle it out over Flanders with their engine.

After I just saw the new video on youtube today of the F-14 pilot in action from heatblur, I can only imagine how cool it would look with an animated WW1 pilot. Love to hear what you gents think.

If this were to be done by a 3rd party, or by an expanded development team at ED, then sure.

However, I wouldn't want this to detract from the completion of the existing early access modules, enhancements to the core engine, or the already announced modules on the way.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

One major issue is maps. None of the current maps really reflect any WWI battlefields, even Normandy is too far West, and the Persian Gulf is probably too far East for the Mesopotamian theatre. Granted, if the Caucasus map extended just a bit to the South we could do Gallipoli, but that didn't have much of an air component.

Given that these aircraft were flown only a few hundred meters AGL, at speeds more comparable to a modern car, the ground map is pretty important. Also, the period of flight involved completely different concepts for airfields, or aerodromes as they called them: it was basically just a (hopefully) flat, dry (if you were lucky) cleared patch of land roughly in a circle, with the hangars and tents taking up about a quarter of the circumference. Even by the standards of the Harrier or Viggen it was a very small and very crude landing area.

I'd love to see WWI warbirds in DCS, but I think that since it was such a unique period of combat aviation, it really requires a dedicated sim and maps. Even IL-2 is only able to do it because they're building it off of the previous Rise of Flight, which is probably the best existing WWI flight sim.

i can already imagine such planes in air quake servers where all eras are mixed

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I'd be cool with them moving into the WW1 domain after WW2 is fleshed out with all major theatres and aircraft. Would be fun

DCS Modules Owned:A-10C, FC3, Yak-52, F/A-18C, AV-8B, AJS-37, F-5E, M-2000C, L-39, Hawk T.1A, C-101EB/CC, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, BF-109K4, FW-190D9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, KA-50, F-86, DCS:CA, WWII assets, F-14A/A+/B

DCS Terrains Owned: All

PLEASE MAKE UH-60L and AH-64D!!! :pilotfly:

I agree that it would take a dedicated map for WWI , including trenches and aerodromes . Obviously new airplanes as well . Then the community would demand nine-teens vehicles , artillery , tanks , ships , airships and observation balloons , as well as pilot animations for communications . NO !

Enjoy Rise of Flight .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I agree that it would take a dedicated map for WWI , including trenches and aerodromes . Obviously new airplanes as well . Then the community would demand nine-teens vehicles , artillery , tanks , ships , airships and observation balloons , as well as pilot animations for communications . NO !

Enjoy Rise of Flight .

yea basically this, Rise of flight exists for the niche of people with an already niche community that want to scratch that ww1 air combat itch.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

For now Rise of Flight (and Flying Circus Vol 1) will have to fill that niche. I can imagine it being easier to do one of these aircraft in one respect with extremely simple systems.

It would be interesting to fly a DCS World exploration of a Sopwith Camel. But I would want them to support it properly with a map, objects, other aircraft, balloons, etc.

I agree with you gents on supporting the maps, units, ect..... Even the boys over at IL-2 said rise of flight is old and outdated, hence the reason for creating flying circus. Do not get me wrong, Flying Circus looks to be shaping up really well, but in my opinion, no one will come close to the accuracy and fidelity of DCS. There is a lot we could do with this period.

• 2 months later...

For me, I like to have both WWI and WWII modules so if Eagle Dynamics decides to make a WWI series, then I won't hesitate to get the WWII series as well. Other than that, I'll stick with the modern jets which is already expensive as it is.