Easy communications

DutchCoolHand

If I understand it correctly Easy Communications will set the frequencies on the radios as you select the specific airfield or other entity. I can't seem to get any airport to respond and I think it is because the correct frequency is not set.

I find it hard at this moment to enter the frequencies while using TrackIR, I want to use the Easy comms but am I missing something?

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I don`t get your problem. If you selected easy comms in the game setup, you don`t have to fiddle with any frequency.

Just choose ATC and the airfield you wanna talk to.

Normally they answer.

If there are other problems, post again.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

OK EX81, I understand what you are saying but all Airfields in comms menu (pressing |\) are black. not white meaning selectable. I remember in the past if you where close enough to a field you could select it with one of the Function keys.

With easy comms, it should tune the radio when I select the airfield right? May it is what Razo+r states, but depending on what radio (AM. FM UFH you pick the options are visible, right?

Thanks

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

Ok, I used easy comms a long time and I remember that the list of airfields where not always high lighted. I used to simply place my cursor over the airfield name I wanted to talk to and pressed my mouse button.

Just tested it in the last version of OB. Airfield names are "grey" but it worked as discribed above.

Maybe you give it try again.

P.S.

When I started to do DCS, never touched any radio because easy comms was selected.

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

Thank you EX81, I will try that. I never thought to click on the airfield. I read the whole manual recently and did not find that.

Thanks!

Peter

I'd highly recommend to turn the easy comms off. AFAIK it's bugged anyways and getting used to easy comms just gives you more trouble when switching to other planes/modules. I know it's another step mastering the hog but you'll apreciate it when getting in a multiplayer cockpit. And in the end it's a bit more realistic and even more fiddling with the buttons and switches - which I, personally, love a lot

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Thank you EX81, I will try that. I never thought to click on the airfield. I read the whole manual recently and did not find that.

Thanks!

Peter

I hope you mean to click on the name of the airfield !

What animalmother wrote is of course right. Managing the three different radios is more realistic

and a challange, but when you got used to it, it`s not that complicated anymore.

Edited by ex81

I'd highly recommend to turn the easy comms off. AFAIK it's bugged anyways and getting used to easy comms just gives you more trouble when switching to other planes/modules. I know it's another step mastering the hog but you'll apreciate it when getting in a multiplayer cockpit. And in the end it's a bit more realistic and even more fiddling with the buttons and switches - which I, personally, love a lot

I agree with you that Easy Comms off is more realistic.

However, Easy Comms works completely without errors for me, so anyone who wants to make life easier can use it with pleasure.

I also have the solution for color marking in the Comms menu.

All stations whose frequency is set correctly are displayed in white. All other stations are dark grey. Nevertheless, using Easy Comms I can also select the dark grey ones via the F-keys or by mouse click. Easy Comms then does nothing but set the frequency accordingly. If I call up the Comms menu again, this station is also white.

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Some missions require the player to be tuned to a specific freq in order to receive radio calls from other stations, like the On Scene Commander. I believe that doesn't work with Easy Comms set to On.

Plus, many MP servers want pilots to use Simple Radio Standalone (or Univers Radio, though that one is more common inside of virtual squads because it costs a few bucks, and is less often required on public servers), which can and must be operated by using the radios in the jet and the proper buttons on the HOTAS.

Radio Homing, that is used in some missions, also uses the radios with the addition of setting the mode dial to "HOME" instead of "MAN" or "PRE".

All things considered, learning how to use the radios takes a bit of getting used to, and in most SP missions doesn't seem worth the effort, but I believe it pays off in the long run to learn these systems just like all the others.

Some missions require the player to be tuned to a specific freq in order to receive radio calls from other stations, like the On Scene Commander. I believe that doesn't work with Easy Comms set to On.

Plus, many MP servers want pilots to use Simple Radio Standalone (or Univers Radio, though that one is more common inside of virtual squads because it costs a few bucks, and is less often required on public servers), which can and must be operated by using the radios in the jet and the proper buttons on the HOTAS.

Radio Homing, that is used in some missions, also uses the radios with the addition of setting the mode dial to "HOME" instead of "MAN" or "PRE".

All things considered, learning how to use the radios takes a bit of getting used to, and in most SP missions doesn't seem worth the effort, but I believe it pays off in the long run to learn these systems just like all the others.

I fully agree, I need to learn to use the radios. I was having trouble changing frequencies on my “Ikarus” instrument panel, some of the buttons would not rotate. My trackIr is having problems getting to the lower left of the cockpit, it gets glitchy. And I have setup left and right arrow to center and pause TrackIr so I can’t use those to look around anymore. I am still optimizing everything, maybe I will purchase VoiceAttack software so I can do it all verbally.

As I have my pilots license in real life I am very used to using the radios and I wish I had a full cockpit with the dials. There is just something about flipping buttons and rotating dials. I used to fly a lot of sims years ago and flew DCS before, now I am back in it and would like to build cockpit but small steps at a time. I have a my warthog hotas, CH rudders pedals which I would love to replace but the Thrustmaster ones are so expensive. I have 2 cougar MFD’s. I think a buddy fox UFC panel is on the shortlist. I have been amazed by some of the cockpits people are building, absolutely amazing. All the 3D printed parts, I wish someone would sell those cockpits, I know it would be expensive. Going VR would resolve part of that but I am 85% blind in one eye and don’t know how VR would work for me.

I had a good mission last night, i am still learning systems and weapon release procedures but I had good weapon hits and a great military pattern to landing. It felt great.

Peter

Hey Peter,

I had to smile a lot at your post. My setup: TM Hotas + CH Pedals + Private Pilot License. I'm also thinking about investing in the TM pedals.

However, I seem to be one step ahead of you: Oculus Rift. I strongly advise you to buy Rift / VR glasses before you invest in new pedals. After flying myself and using TrackIR before, this is a leap from 80% reality to 99%. You can't imagine how unbelievable the feeling of flying is when you are flying in three-dimensional space with 1:1 head tracking. Everything looks so incredibly real in 3D that after the first loops you feel really sick. Then VoiceAttack + Vaicom Pro and you'll actually be transmitting like in a real aviator. Believe me, you will be grateful to me for a long time, if you first have a Rift on. But I warn you, after that there is no way back into the 2D world, ask the other Rift users. It is a one-way street... :pilotfly:

Cheers, MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

I've only had DCS for a little over a week. I bought the A-10C and the training modules while they were on sale, but I didn't have TrackIR until yesterday and didn't have a joy stick until today, so I've been working on reading the manual and trying to get the cold start procedures down pat. What I discovered is that to use the radio(s) you have to select the one you want on the intercom panel. I had the same problem as the OP when I tried to contact ATC to request start up. Everything greyed out and no response. I reached over and clicked on the button for the AM radio (labeled VHF) and voila! I did have to make sure and turn on the radios and set the right frequencies for the mission, but that really wasn't such a big deal. Hope that helps!

What I discovered is that to use the radio(s) you have to select the one you want on the intercom panel.

Outside of Easy Comms, that shouldn't be necessary (and I thought it wouldn't be necessary with Easy Comms, either).

It's important to know that the throttle has a 4-position radio switch, and in order to select the proper radio, the switch needs to be pushed in the proper direction.

Mic Switch Forward: VHF AM

Mic Switch Down: UHF

Mic Switch Aft: VHF FM

This sort of corresponds to the location of the respective radio controls panels on the left console (from forward to aft: VHF AM, UHF, VHF FM).

I believe Easy Comms should...

- automatically select the proper radio for any given recipient

- automatically tune that radio to the proper frequency for that recipient

so that Easy Comms doesn't require 3 buttons just to operate the radios.

In any case, it's kind of cool that there is no function on Mic Switch up, because that one is almost ideally suited as Push-to-Talk for Teamspeak or Discord. :thumbup: