cannot get vr to work

davevegas901

I have the Lenovo Explorer wmr headset

When I run dcs, it doesn't run in the headset

I have gone to options and vr enabled is checked off

I had dcs steam installed and anytime I opened dcs

it would open in steam (and the headset worked)

I don't want that so I uninstalled steam itself

now dcs will run, but not in vr

help!

Without SteamVR you can't play DCS in VR. If you don't need your Steam version of DCS any longer, you can ask the Steam support to delete it from your account.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

If you want to use VR with a Windows Mixed Reality device like Lenovo Explorer you need to install Steam, SteamVR and SteamVR for WMR.

DCS can be the standalone version. So you are not forced to use DCS in Steam. Even the standalon DCS client with VR enabled uses StamVR as "driver".

The only acception I know is the Oculus Rift. It uses the Oculus software instead of SteamVR.

In short: Lenovo Explorer + DCS in VR = You are forced to use Steam, SteamVR and SteamVR for WMR.

I know no workaraound for it.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

First you must have Windows Mixed Reality Portal installed. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mixed-reality-portal/9ng1h8b3zc7m?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

When Mixed Reality Portal opens simply minimize it to the tool tray and launch the sim.

You can switch control of your mouse between headset and desktop by pressing Win+Y.

For Steam VR support you'll need to download Steam VR For Mixed Reality - https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...y_for_SteamVR/

To access settings open Windows Settings and you'll see a new group called Mixed Reality. In the Display Headset tab select High performance. Also in the Headset Display tab is a button under Experience for Change. There you can make sure your headset is set to 90Hz.

Cheers

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I had going and working, but then I read threads like "should I use dcs steam or dcs standalone" and everybody is answering "use standalone! avoid steam!" but it's sounding like for vr steam is the only answer. I just jumped in yesterday and bought fc3 and nevada map on the dcs website and bought the "doesn't work with steam" versions, so I guess I screwed myself out of $50.

No, you are not screwed out of $50. You just need to install the Steam app, not DCS from Steam. Just the Steam UI and the SteamVR will be included. You do not then install your game via steam. The standalone game will work with SteamVR app.

Make sense now?