VR FPS Help?

mjfur

I finally got my Samsung Odyssey+ to work and am trying to improve the quality of what I am seeing in the headset and possibly the framerate as well.

Everything is a tad blocky/pixelated and a perhaps a bit out of focus. (I have used the headset Focus adjustment to make what I am seeing as best as it can).

Should what I am seeing in the VR Headset be as clear and smooth as what I see when playing DCS on my monitor? Maybe I'm expecting too much?

I currently get 60 FPS when sitting on the main menu of DCS.

I currently get 30 FPS when sitting in a running P-51D at Las Vegas Airport (P-51D, Instant Action, Nevada Takeoff). Flying around Las Vegas I get 25-32 FPS. Is this normal or is there room for improvement?

My rig has, Intel i7-7700 3.6GHz, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz, NVidia GTX 1080 w/8GB GDDR5X, 850W PSU, 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD, HP 27es 60Hz 1920x1080. (Do you need to know any other specs?)

Attached are photos of my current DCS settings. Should any of these be adjusted differently?

Are there any adjustments I should be making to my Samsung Odyssey outside of the game, possibly thru Windows, Steam, etc.?

Thx

IMG_5383.thumb.jpg.9f89a036e9e38ecb00bdf552342c7a7a.jpg

IMG_5384.thumb.jpg.f74a8daccc11887a9eb73acde37401c8.jpg

I have similar questions but a much lower end gfx card than you. I'd drop/reduce shadows and draw distances to bump up frame rates. I'm using medium/low settings for textures and no AA. People generally recommend bumping up pixel density (PD) on the VR menu to improve gfx, I'm doing like 1.2 1.3 on my 980M so I'm sure you could manage higher.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

it wont be as clear as a monitor as the resolutions is much lower. it will never be as clear, so set your expectations accordingly.

I would lower visibility range to medium (heavy on CPU) and PD to 1.3 and start from there. also, any higher than 1.5 and you will start to lose spotting ability at range. at 1.3, I can see tankers at 22nm and fighters at 10-15 nm without zooming in.

the rest of those settings are the same (shadows on low) as mine and I have a much old CPU than you and a 1070 and I get right around 45 FPS on the Caucusus map in the P51 (incredible in VR btw). I will try it on the NTTR map tonight and will report back.

you will not get more than 45 FPS no matter what you do as the next highest leve is 90 FPS and i dont think there is a system out that that can achieve that in DCS as it is not optimized for VR yet.

EDIT: Also make sure SteamVR isnt super sampling at over 100% for DCS.exe as that will set you up for failure right there. (mine was at 200% and i never set it there). Also set your renderTargetScale to 2.0 in the windows mixed reality settings file in your steam library.

Improve HMD clarity & sharpness hack Samsung Odyssey

Hi, I found a tweak that improves clarity and pixel density in steam VR a LOT in steamvr apps:

Modify the following files:

A)

\\STEAM\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

and edit the file, changing "renderTargetScale" : 2.0" (instead of 1.0)

EDIT 2: Make sure your eyes are in the sweet spot of the lens vertically (looks the sharpest when moving headset up and down). once you have that dialed in, then work on your IPD until the image is at its sharpest point (unless you know what your IPD is, then just set it via the IPD pop you get when scrolling the wheel)

Edited by Strikeeagle345

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

It shouldn't be blocky. But certainly not as clear as a monitor. Turn off shadows. It eats FPS. Then keep adjusting.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1