In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

RFI

I fly in VR, but am often outside VR for mission editing etc. Not seldom while not in VR while using Scratch Pad I move it off to the side. Then when I'm back in VR the scratch pad is still way off to the side, but now it's outside my VR viewing window, and since it's outside the window and locked outside my ability to reach it with my mouse to move it back to where I can see it again.

My RFI is to have a re-center hotkey. It would do nother other than have the scratch pad window move to the center of which ever display I'm currenting using so that I can see it again, without having to quit DCS completely and then manually change the window position in the config file.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

You can copy text, not graphics. Text from the chat window can be copied. Text rendered and displayed somewhere in the cockpit are only graphics at that point and can therefore not be copied. It would require OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software to do that, which is far from trivial with even professional system not being perfect.

Read text you want to record off the cockpit and type it into the scratch-pad. It's as simple as that. Don't know how to use the 10-finger system of typing so you cannot use a keyboard without staring at it? It seems that you "lack". There are hundreds of free courses and videos on how to learn the 10-finger writing method. Bone up, issue sovled.

The virtual keyboard is a mod of the mod. It's somewhere in one of the older posts. You'll have to actually look for it.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, fitness88 said:

Does this app copy/paste DCS screen info such as ATC inbound or F10 co-ords?  This would be where kneeboard lacks.

I read this app has a virtual keyboard for vr users, where is it?

Here you go. The version with the keyboard.

ScratchPad.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...

Move your VR dot to the edge of the text screen and drag to resize.  Treat it like any window.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Wow great App - exactly what I was looking for to jot down co-ords off the map for entry into ICP. Thanks!

This functionality def needs to be incorporated into the base game! Particularly now things get 'deselected' when leaving map view, (am sure they used to stay selected?) so need to click on object again to get co-ords when re-entering map.  Bit of a pain if you are old like me and only remember lat and back to game for ICP entry, then back to map and fumble with trackball to re-select object to get its long.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yep, the ‘deselecting’ on exit was definitely a backward step.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

Any chance - coordinates in MGRS ?

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

You can type them in, in any format you want...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 часа назад, speed-of-heat сказал:

You can type them in, in any format you want...

I about transfer Mark Point coordinates in MGRS by L/L button from F10 Map, without any typing.

Edited by SMN
  • Like 1

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

59 minutes ago, SMN said:

I about transfer Mark Point coordinates in MGRS by L/L button from F10 Map, without any typing.

Never tried, give it a go and report your findings here...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

First of all, thanks for the mod, it has been very useful in VR. I really like the keyboard version. However, I can only "minimise" it to an "X", is there a hotkey I can hide it completely? Is there a way I can map it to my joystick/HOTAS?

Thanks again.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

the key to activate it also minimises /hides it for me 

Yep, it works for me too. Now I wish it can be mapped to a joystick/throttle button.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

someone would need to to do some dev work to make that happen, but i mapped a layer of my Razer Tartarus v2 to do that, so its not on my stick but my kneeboard controls are velcro attached  to my kneeboard ... 

I use a small keyboard on my knees, not ideal, but I can live with it for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have created a pull request on the original git repository:
https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/pull/17

I hope the creator will merge it into the original version. Then it is easier to maintain.

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

• 3 weeks later...

Great wee tool! However I seem to have a problem entering the coords into the CDU when the Scratchpad is visible. My cursor dissapears as I move my mouse over the CDU keyboard! If I hide the scratchpad it is back to normal, so for me on VR it sort of defeats the purpose!  Any clues to what I should do to solve this?

Cheers

Sandy

move the scratch pad else where ... by picking it up with the mouse pointer on the "title bar" of the pad and drag clicking it... 

Hmm, well sort of! I move the pad and yes, I can enter coords into the CDU, but then I can't get back to pad to enter anything else, so I close the pad and reopen. I think you have given me enough clues to make it useable but just wondering if this is to do with my particular setup or a general issue?

Cheers

Sandy