In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

Fantastic little app which I can't believe I've only just discovered !

I do have a question.. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the keyboard output such that it writes to whatever might have the input focus rather than the scratchpad ?

So I mean for the scenario where I finish a mission and while still in VR I want to save the track file, and name it something appropriate, or where I might want to pop into the ME and change mission start time or a waypoint altitude.

Not laziness honestly, just that my VR Pit don't have no screen or keyboard 😉 VR Pit

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Oh I see what you are trying to do, I don’t believe so, the scratchpad apps and “keyboard” is really just a lua script, it gets to interact with itself… you could bring up the vr keyboard and see if that works or what you want.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Oh I see what you are trying to do, I don’t believe so, the scratchpad apps and “keyboard” is really just a lua script, it gets to interact with itself… you could bring up the vr keyboard and see if that works or what you want.

Thanks but the only VR keyboards I'm aware of bring up a SteamVR or WMR desktop overlayed over my DCS VR and I have to use a controller to click keys which is a pain and I might as well take of the headset and walk over to my desk.

Really surprised there isn't a simple popup VR keyboard app that works with a mouse..or if there is I'm yet to find it.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

Maybe I’m misunderstanding here, but this app has a VR keyboard brought up by a key press. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

Maybe I’m misunderstanding here, but this app has a VR keyboard brought up by a key press. 

Yes it does indeed, but with it you can only type into the scratchpad. I was hoping it would let me type into text fields in DCS, like in the ME or to name track files

Edited by ShaunX

The Scratchpad keyboard cannot provide input outside of the Scratchpad. 

What you can do however is enter the text within one of the Scratchpad pages -- you can have up to at least 9 or 10, maybe more -- then select and copy that text, go to the save - file name field in the save track window and paste the copied text into it. Ofc you will have to learn to find <Ctrl><C> and <Ctrl><V> by touch, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The other -- IMHO better solution -- would be to learn to type with ten fingers :punk:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

20 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

The Scratchpad keyboard cannot provide input outside of the Scratchpad. 

What you can do however is enter the text within one of the Scratchpad pages -- you can have up to at least 9 or 10, maybe more -- then select and copy that text, go to the save - file name field in the save track window and paste the copied text into it. Ofc you will have to learn to find <Ctrl><C> and <Ctrl><V> by touch, but that shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The other -- IMHO better solution -- would be to learn to type with ten fingers :punk:

Now the former is not a bad idea at all thanks, I can assign voice attack commands to copy and paste.

No keyboard in my VR pit so the latter won't fly...even if I had the will to learn ;)

Many thanks

• 2 months later...

Are you using VR?

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

@Binarythanks for this.

any chance someone can add the keyboard back into to 0.5.0

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Whoever wants to maintain (and has the right to do so from the initial author) the keyboard as a "plugin" to Scratchpad, feel free to get in contact with me so that we can figure out how the keyboard could be a separate script that is not part of the Scratchpad, but still works with the Scratchpad.

• Like 1

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

Just downloaded this fantastic Mod! Great addition to DCS, especially now with the keyboard. Kudos to all. Just one question, Can’t figure out how to use the +L/L key for Lat/Long entry. I press and it says “No Marks Found”. I assume it’s supposed to easily enter map coordinates. Any Help would be great, Thanks!

Go into the F10 map and put an area you which to set as a waypoint within your map display and open the Scratchpad.

At The bottom of the Scratchpad window, there's a little check-box to the right of the arrow buttons. If you click on the check-box, to the right of the check-box a button labeled [+L/L] (Add Longitude/Latitude) will appear along with a white dot-pointer a bit to the left of the window. The dot-pointer is locked in position relative to the window.

Using the mouse to drag the Scratchpad window so that the dot-pointer points to the place of which you wish to the coordinates input into the Scratchpad. Now click on the [+L/L] button and the coordinates will be entered into the window where the cursor is positioned (you may wish to position the cursor before hand).

That's it!

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

On 10/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, Binary said:

I love this addition. So useful 😄 

It picks formats automatically when I'd rather have another 😟

Suggestion, put three little boxes at the bottom [D°M'S"] [D°M.d] [MGRS]. The user gets the formats he indicates, 1, 2 or all three. If the user doesn't pick any, he gets everything automatically 😉

Edited by Captain Orso

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I love this addition. So useful  
It picks formats automatically when I'd rather have another 
Suggestion, put three little boxes at the bottom [D°M'S"] [D°M.d] [MGRS]. The user gets the formats he indicates, 1, 2 or all three. If the user doesn't pick any, he gets everything automatically 

Which one would you rather have while sitting in which aircraft?

On 10/16/2021 at 1:33 PM, Binary said:

Whoever wants to maintain (and has the right to do so from the initial author) the keyboard as a "plugin" to Scratchpad, feel free to get in contact with me so that we can figure out how the keyboard could be a separate script that is not part of the Scratchpad, but still works with the Scratchpad.

I would do it and share it in my git, but I dont know how.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

6 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

Using the mouse to drag the Scratchpad window so that the dot-pointer points to the place of which you wish to the coordinates input into the Scratchpad. Now click on the [+L/L] button and the coordinates will be entered into the window where the cursor is positioned (you may wish to position the cursor before hand).

That's it!

Doesn't seem to work that way for me.  The white dot doesn't move with the scratchpad window. I have to move the map over the white dot.  The scratchpad window moves independently of the white dot for me.

Also, as Stuart (SOH) asked above, is anyone able to get the onscreen keyboard working in this new version?  Pretty essential in VR.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

39 minutes ago, imacken said:

Doesn't seem to work that way for me.  The white dot doesn't move with the scratchpad window. I have to move the map over the white dot.  The scratchpad window moves independently of the white dot for me.

What you describe is the correct behaviour. The scratchpad windows isn't moving the white dot. You have to move the map to align the white dot with your target.

Thanks, it's just different to how Capitan Orso described how it worked.

Any ideas on the onscreen keyboard?   Offer by @kaltokri above?

6 hours ago, imacken said:

Also, as Stuart (SOH) asked above, is anyone able to get the onscreen keyboard working in this new version?  Pretty essential in VR.

Yes, of course you are right. I was wondering if I hadn't gotten that backwards later, but it was late and I was tired, and... 🥱

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

Yes, of course you are right. I was wondering if I hadn't gotten that backwards later, but it was late and I was tired, and... 🥱

I think we can forgive you!

7 hours ago, Binary said:

Which one would you rather have while sitting in which aircraft?

I use D°M.d in the Hornet and MGRS in the Warthog, but that's just me. Others may swear by other formats. That's why I suggested the universal solution. Everybody could get exactly what they want. I even offered a solution for the indecisive, because that's the way I role 😏.

I know it's extra work for something you just put in, and I honestly do appreciate it. I'd even send a beer your way if you had a Patreon account -. I already checked in Github 😏

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

I think we can forgive you!

😅

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler