In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

9 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

The whole point of the SP is to quickly and easily grab the coordinates of a point on the map for using in-cockpit, like creating waypoints. Since the last excellent update which lets you copy the coordinates onto the SP with a single click, work has become SOOOO much easier.

But in the ME what would you do with the coordinates other than create a waypoint?

It would be useful to any of us who fly exclusively from a VR pit with no keyboard or screen access (like me), to make changes in the ME and then fly again without having to hang up our headset and walk back over to our desk. Perhaps a request for a generic pop-up VR keyboard integrated into DCS would be more appropriate.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

10 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

But in the ME what would you do with the coordinates other than create a waypoint?

Mission with object visibility turned off. In the mission itself you can not see anything.
Only in ME you can see the object and copy the coordinates.

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

7 hours ago, Draken35 said:

Any news on the integrated keyboard version? 

Sorry, no. Had no time to do it. Maybe in the chrismas holidays.

• Thanks 3

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

It would be useful to any of us who fly exclusively from a VR pit with no keyboard or screen access (like me), to make changes in the ME and then fly again without having to hang up our headset and walk back over to our desk. Perhaps a request for a generic pop-up VR keyboard integrated into DCS would be more appropriate.

This, the new tools work well for pre planned activities, where the target is on the map… but where you are given the coordinates for a strike post take off, the on screen keyboard… or even just a number pad was really useful for transcription of the information rather than having to remember it prior to keying in to the UFC/ICP etc…

24 minutes ago, kaltokri said:

Sorry, no. Had no time to do it. Maybe in the chrismas holidays.

👍I hope you have a productive holiday 😉

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

4 hours ago, ShaunX said:

I fly VR, but I always have a keyboard within reach. IF I edit a mission in VR (seldom, bc graphics in VR... suck), I still have no idea what keyboard input you really nead. BORT numbers?

Anyway, the keyboard in SP is only for input directly into an SP page, and not into anything in the ME. That won't work.

4 hours ago, SMN said:

Mission with object visibility turned off. In the mission itself you can not see anything.
Only in ME you can see the object and copy the coordinates.

Then just turn off the hidden status in the ME and the issue is solved. I don't get it. It's like scratching the left ear with the right foot.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

46 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

Then just turn off the hidden status in the ME and the issue is solved. I don't get it. It's like scratching the left ear with the right foot.

In missions with protection against editing - it is not possible to do it!
All paid campaigns, for example.

Edited by SMN

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

4 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

I fly VR, but I always have a keyboard within reach. IF I edit a mission in VR (seldom, bc graphics in VR... suck), I still have no idea what keyboard input you really nead. BORT numbers?

As stated I don't have either a keyboard or screen accessable from my VR pit. I set everything up from my desk then go over to my VR Pit to fly. I like the separation of the 2 activities.

I therefore find the VR keyboard on the scratchpad very useful in mission. As the SP is also available throughout DCS it would be great if its keypad would also allow typing into any selected field. Perhaps for naming a track file or renaming a test version of a mission I'm working on. Maybe I need to change my callsign to go into a different mutliplayer server. Maybe I've incorrectly named a script. These things are possible now with the keypad version, but require text selection and voice commands to copy and paste.

4 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

Anyway, the keyboard in SP is only for input directly into an SP page, and not into anything in the ME. That won't work.

We know that, that's why we're asking if it's possible.

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

5 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

paid for missions... as an example... missions where you receive coords in flight, we get you don't need it because you have a keyboard nearby

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

45 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

As stated I don't have either a keyboard or screen accessable from my VR pit. I set everything up from my desk then go over to my VR Pit to fly. I like the separation of the 2 activities.

I'm on the same boat plane.  Although I do all my mission editing in pancake mode... 

20 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

The whole point of the SP is to quickly and easily grab the coordinates of a point on the map for using in-cockpit, like creating waypoints. Since the last excellent update which lets you copy the coordinates onto the SP with a single click, work has become SOOOO much easier.

I use it mainly for scribbling down the gameplan and 9-lines. Works like a charm (if only my blind typing would be better). 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

18 hours ago, SMN said:

In missions with protection against editing - it is not possible to do it!
All paid campaigns, for example.

14 hours ago, ShaunX said:

I therefore find the VR keyboard on the scratchpad very useful in mission. As the SP is also available throughout DCS it would be great if its keypad would also allow typing into any selected field. Perhaps for naming a track file or renaming a test version of a mission I'm working on. Maybe I need to change my callsign to go into a different mutliplayer server. Maybe I've incorrectly named a script. These things are possible now with the keypad version, but require text selection and voice commands to copy and paste.

We know that, that's why we're asking if it's possible.

13 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

paid for missions... as an example... missions where you receive coords in flight, we get you don't need it because you have a keyboard nearby

13 hours ago, Ready said:

I use it mainly for scribbling down the gameplan and 9-lines. Works like a charm (if only my blind typing would be better). 

13 hours ago, Draken35 said:

I'm on the same boat plane.  Although I do all my mission editing in pancake mode... 

1. They keyboard that someone added to SP inputs ONLY INTO SP, unless I am completely misinformed. It is a mod of the "standard" SP package.

2. If you want a virtual keyboard that inputs into the ME and the in-client cockpit, then you will need a different app, and I have no idea if it is even possible. it's about the same situation that you can use <Ctrl><C> -> <Ctrl><V> to copy text from one overlay within the ME to another overlay within the ME; it only works bc ED implemented it to work. But you cannot copy text into the in-cockpit UFC with the running client.

If you guys want a virtual keyboard which would allow you to input into the ME or in-cockpit anywhere you could input text with the Windows keyboard, you will have to search outside of this thread, aside from using it to contact the guy who added the keyboard to SP. I understand you request, but you're barking up the wrong tree.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I only want the keyboard in ScratchPad...  everything else i can bind to hotas or a mousepad. 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

aside from using it to contact the guy who added the keyboard to SP

..That's exactly who we are asking. And he responded 10 posts above.

22 minutes ago, Captain Orso said:

If you guys want a virtual keyboard which would allow you to input into the ME or in-cockpit anywhere you could input text with the Windows keyboard, you will have to search outside of this thread

..I also suggested that a seperate request for a generic keyboard might be more appropriate in my first post above. ... unless @kaltokri is able/prepared to add that functionality to his variation. I've no idea if it's possible. It just seemed to me that if someone has gone to the trouble of adding a keyboard to scratchpad, and as scratchpad can be popped up anywhere in DCS, it would be nice if it could also be used to type directly into other DCS text fields.

13 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I only want the keyboard in ScratchPad...  everything else i can bind to hotas or a mousepad. 

This.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I tested adding a few on-screen keyboard buttons but could not find a way to obtain the cursor "column" position, only the "row".

An "append-only" keyboard would be confusing.

EDIT: Solved, coding resumes.

image.png

Edited by Dunx
  • Like 3

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

10 hours ago, ShaunX said:

..That's exactly who we are asking. And he responded 10 posts above.

..I also suggested that a seperate request for a generic keyboard might be more appropriate in my first post above. ... unless @kaltokri is able/prepared to add that functionality to his variation. I've no idea if it's possible. It just seemed to me that if someone has gone to the trouble of adding a keyboard to scratchpad, and as scratchpad can be popped up anywhere in DCS, it would be nice if it could also be used to type directly into other DCS text fields.

Oh... ummm... I thought Kaltokri was the guy who wrote SP, who I know didn't implement the keyboard *turns*red* sorry 😓

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

DCS isn't (AFAIK) providing any API that would allow the virtual keyboard to insert text into any arbitrary focused text field. So it is - from a technical point of view - not possible that the SP virtual keyboard inserts text into anything else except the SP using DCS APIs.

The only workaround I can think of is to write a Lua module in C or Rust, which uses Windows APIs to send global keyboard events. While this will probably work to send keyboard presses, it will still fail on the following: clicking on a key of a virtual keyboard will remove the focus from any textfield that the cursor was in.

Edited by Binary

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

6 hours ago, Binary said:

DCS isn't (AFAIK) providing any API that would allow the virtual keyboard to insert text into any focused text field. So it is - from a technical point of view - no possible that the SP virtual keyboard inserts text into anything else except the SP using DCS APIs.

The only workaround I can think of is to write a Lua module in C or Rust, which uses Windows APIs to send global keyboard events. While this will probably work to send keyboard presses, it will still fail on the following: clicking on a key of a virtual keyboard will remove the focus from any textfield that the cursor was in.

Thanks for verifying, I just thought it was worth a punt.

On 11/29/2021 at 1:11 PM, Dunx said:

I tested adding a few on-screen keyboard buttons but could not find a way to obtain the cursor "column" position, only the "row".

An "append-only" keyboard would be confusing.

EDIT: Solved, coding resumes.

image.png

FYI, I've a proof of concept of how the keyboard could be a standalone thing but still integrate with the Scratchpad (main reason: me updating Scratchpad doesn't require anyone to re-add the keyboard).

POC: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad-plugin-example

Scrachpad branch for the POC: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/tree/plugins

This proof of concepts is basically a standalone window that could host the keyboard. The window is clued to the Scratchpad, so it will stick to it regardless of if the SP is moved or resized. The proof of concept has a remaining bug though, hiding the buttons when the Scratchpad is hidden doesn't work.

If someone ends up writing the keyboard as a plugin, I'd be happy to merge the necessary changes to Scratchpad (the plugins branch of SP linked above).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

13 minutes ago, Binary said:

FYI, I've a proof of concept of how the keyboard could be a standalone thing but still integrate with the Scratchpad (main reason: me updating Scratchpad doesn't require anyone to re-add the keyboard).

POC: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad-plugin-example

Scrachpad branch for the POC: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/tree/plugins

This proof of concepts is basically a standalone window that could host the keyboard. The window is clued to the Scratchpad, so it will stick to it regardless of if the SP is moved or resized. The proof of concept has a remaining bug though, hiding the buttons when the Scratchpad is hidden doesn't work.

If someone ends up writing the keyboard as a plugin, I'd be happy to merge the necessary changes to Scratchpad (the plugins branch of SP linked above).

Thank you Binary, and thank you for ScratchPad! Kudos!

I too migrated away from adding buttons to the ScratchPad window but then workflow frustration kicked in while designing dialog layouts.

Finally managed to get require("DialogLoader") to work inside a dynamic dofile though.

It is a shame that there are no sendKey() or getWindow() functions.

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

• 1 month later...

allo all

I used an old version for some time now, I used the version with keyboard.  Now the new version with a lot of great addon does not seems to support the keyboard anymore 

My question does it support it and I did not found how. 

I am looking for something like this

Thanks for your time

unknown.png 

Probably repeated question: how can I bind the hotkey to a HOTAS?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Depends on what you mean, and which Hotas you have, and it’s software, there is no way to change the keystroke to a dx button.

Let's say I have the TM116K and wish to start the scratchpad with a button, is it possible?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.