In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

Yep, from my testing, it seems to be OK when text is typed in from keypad or from PC keyboard, but it all goes weird when moving into any text coming from the sitrep or L/L.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Inserting and deleting doesn't work correctly when selecting from the right to left (the code doesn't correctly consider the direction of the selection yet) - this might be the cause for a lot of weird behaviours. I'll look into that and the other suggestions (but not high on my list the next couple of days).

• Thanks 1

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

Ok, thanks for that.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 9/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, Binary said:

Added. I've also changed the layout a bit:

image.jpeg

Since the question will come up, I am not planing to create a full keyboard - I'll leave that up to the community.

I love it
many thanks
I have this weird "fix line" but I can live with it

N 13°21.261', E 144°46.217'
55 P BQ 58500 77407
9m, 30ft
FIX;144.770292;13.354343;%PlaceHolderName

23 minutes ago, Raab said:

I love it
many thanks
I have this weird "fix line" but I can live with it

N 13°21.261', E 144°46.217'
55 P BQ 58500 77407
9m, 30ft
FIX;144.770292;13.354343;%PlaceHolderName

As I was advised by @speed-of-heat recently, just remove the ns430.lua file and that issue disappears, at least for supported modules.

• 2 weeks later...

Love the extensions! (see right scratchpad on Screen)

Can you add the ability to create Waypoints in planes from Scratchpad? Someone in French community has made some kind of fork of your project to manage this (Left Scratchpad)
Very usefull for VR players like me!

We can add multiple WP at same time.
here is the github of this project. https://github.com/docbrownd/ScratchpadPlus

image.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

where did you get the scratchpad on the right? This looks like it has keyboard plus the ability to add waypoints from the F10 map. Does it work with V 6.0?

The link is on the post...

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

3 hours ago, icemaker said:

Can you add the ability to create Waypoints in planes from Scratchpad? Someone in French community has made some kind of fork of your project to manage this (Left Scratchpad)
Very usefull for VR players like me!

We can add multiple WP at same time.
here is the github of this project. https://github.com/docbrownd/ScratchpadPlus

This is really great. If only it had the Extensions.  We need a merge of the 2 versions!

3 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

where do i get the extensions?

The link is in Binary's post on the previous page.

One thing we have to watch though, is that it inserts the WPT as an increment of 2 FROM WHEREVER you are currently set on the HSI.  So, for example if you are on WPT 1, it will insert as WPT 3. Now, if you have any data on that point already, it will be overwritten.

So, it is essential to have the waypoint you are on set to your last WPT (or the one before as it increments by 2) BEFORE you hit Insert.

It's a standalone install overwriting your existing one. BTW, I recommend removing the ns430 extension. It causes some weird issues.

On the right is an extension i made to have a Keyboard.
You just have to create an LUA File and put it on extensions folder.

-- An AZERTY Keyboard

local keyMatrix = {
  { "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "0" },
  { "A", "Z", "E", "R", "T", "Y", "U", "I", "O", "P" },
  { "Q", "S", "D", "F", "G", "H", "J", "K", "L", "M" },
  { "W", "X", "C", "V", "B", "N", "'", "\"" },
  { "⌫", {["↩"] = "\n"}, ".", {["␣"] = " "}, "CLS"},
}
local width = 30
local height = 30

local container = addRow()
local y = 0
for _, r in pairs(keyMatrix) do
  local x = 0
  for k, v in pairs(r) do
    local title = v
    local char = v
    if type(v) == "table" then
      title, char = pairs(v)(v)
    end
    local onClick = function(text)
      text:insertAtCursor(char)
    end
    if v == "⌫" then
      onClick = function(text)
        text:deleteBackward()
      end
    end
	if v == "CLS" then
      onClick = function(text)
        text:setText("")
      end
    end
    container:addButton(x, y, width, height, title, onClick)
    x = x + width
  end
  y = y + width
end

For the left Scratchpad just install it like the regular scratchpad they can be used together without any issue.

13 hours ago, imacken said:

This is really great. If only it had the Extensions.  We need a merge of the 2 versions!

Yes, i asked him if he want to merge versions. Waiting for his answer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, imacken said:

One thing we have to watch though, is that it inserts the WPT as an increment of 2 FROM WHEREVER you are currently set on the HSI.  So, for example if you are on WPT 1, it will insert as WPT 3. Now, if you have any data on that point already, it will be overwritten.

So, it is essential to have the waypoint you are on set to your last WPT (or the one before as it increments by 2) BEFORE you hit Insert.

It adds the WP after the last WP, if it reaches the max number of WP it overwrites the first WP and so on.

Edited by icemaker

Doesn't seem to work that way for me. It increments by 2 from your currently selected WPT, and I think that's what is saying in his notes.

So, as I said above, it's best to go to the penultimate existing waypoint so that the new wp goes to the end of the existing and nothing is overwritten.

1 hour ago, icemaker said:

On the right is an extension i made to have a Keyboard.
You just have to create an LUA File and put it on extensions folder.

For the left Scratchpad just install it like the regular scratchpad they can be used together without any issue.

Excellent piece of work. A real enhancement of the original.

I hope you don't mind, but I edited your code for a QWERTY version with a couple of layout changes.

Another good thing is that we don't need the original clear extension as you have it built in.

We still have the weird behaviour with backspace going as mentioned earlier in this thread, but no biggie.

s1.jpg

QWERTY keypad.zip

• Like 2

Nice!

Personally, I can't see the need for the space bar to take up a whole row of screen space so I'll probably change that, but well done.

What's the function of the symbol in bottom right?