In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

Yeah, I haven't been using SP long, just found it recently, but just noticed it didn't work after this update, for me

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

13 hours ago, Recluse said:

I must be doing SOMETHING wrong. @Lange_666 did get it working, I think, by using the Extensions version vs. the 0.61 version.

Correct!

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

3 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Correct!

Hmmmmmm... so what could it be for me? Another mod conflicting? I did try creating a brand new SCRIPTS folder and putting ONLY Scratchpad extensions in it.

Just to be 100% clear:

-  Extensions version is "installed" (Scratchpad and Hooks folders/contents)

- Desired Extensions are placed in the Scratchpad\Extensions folder

- Scratchpad is invoked in game with Hotkey

- Extensions (keyboard, etc.. are displayed.

I'm not missing some additional step?

ALL OTHER SCRATCHPAD FUNCTIONALITY WORKS FINE.

Edited by Recluse

2 minutes ago, Recluse said:

Just to be 100% clear:

-  Extensions version is "installed" (Scratchpad and Hooks folders/contents)

- Desired Extensions are placed in the Scratchpad\Extensions folder

- Scratchpad is invoked in game with Hotkey

- Extensions (keyboard, etc.. are displayed.

That's exactly what works for me.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2022 at 3:00 AM, Binary said:

This works after banging my head against the wall for a couple of hours.  I don't see the SITREP button which is OK because you can copy and past the mission objectives into scratchpad.  Thanks Binary!

Edited by PX_RGR

Checklists like that are probably easier/more accessible using the kneeboard, but whatever works for you is good!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 3 weeks later...

Folks, I've been looking at adding some functionality to the base code to allow editing buttons . My goal is to simulate the "shift" and "caps" keys, but that piece of the code is still a bit beyond me. I used scratch pad as a virtual keyboard in VR (using copy and paste) from within DCS to key in passwords, F10 markers names, etc.

This is my current KB:

image.png

Of course, I would like to reduce the size with the shift and caps functionality ...

Another idea I have... Is it possible for Scratchpad to change flag values and populate in-mission scripts variables (sort of a buffer)... This integration with in-mission scripts would allow for an ad-hoc UI for scripts instead of using F10 menus or the F10 marker method) to input values (think of entering target coordinates for an artillery attack). 

Edited by Draken35

Just a CODA and a Mea Culpa to my ScratchPad Extensions dilemma. I could NOT get the extensions to work, but I was intrigued enough by the new keyboard by  @Draken35  that I set out again to get it working.  What I discovered was that AT SOME POINT I had accidentally created a Scratchpad folder in the SCRIPTS folder of the DCS Open Beta GAME hierarchy in addition to the correct folder in the SAVED GAMES hierarchy. Once I deleted that, everything was working fine and I could use the Extensions including keyboards.

OPERATOR ERROR again  😞

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, Draken35 said:

Folks, I've been looking at adding some functionality to the base code to allow editing buttons . My goal is to simulate the "shift" and "caps" keys, but that piece of the code is still a bit beyond me. I used scratch pad as a virtual keyboard in VR (using copy and paste) from within DCS to key in passwords, F10 markers names, etc.

This is my current KB:

image.png

Of course, I would like to reduce the size with the shift and caps functionality ...

Another idea I have... Is it possible for Scratchpad to change flag values and populate in-mission scripts variables (sort of a buffer)... This integration with in-mission scripts would allow for an ad-hoc UI for scripts instead of using F10 menus or the F10 marker method) to input values (think of entering target coordinates for an artillery attack). 

Hi Drakan! 

Can you give me a hint how you managed this? I'm a little stuck with layouting the keypad. I need it with another thing in mind, but can't get the layout to work. For me it could be not resizable. How does the .dlg and the hook code look like for the layout of the widget?

Thanks,
Skyfire

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

9 minutes ago, PhilSkyfire said:

Hi Drakan! 

Can you give me a hint how you managed this? I'm a little stuck with layouting the keypad. I need it with another thing in mind, but can't get the layout to work. For me it could be not resizable. How does the .dlg and the hook code look like for the layout of the widget?

Thanks,
Skyfire

I modified one of the extension ( sorry, forgot who posted it original but full credits goes to the author, not me). I have not managed yet to modify the buttons after they are created, but that is just a cosmetic issue.
Attached is my current version of the full QWERTY keyboard. 
null

image.png

KeyBoard_QWERTY3.lua

• 2 months later...
42 минуты назад, greyeagle787 сказал:

Hi All, have been away so just checking how the scratchpad is working after all the recent changes/updates to DCS?

Works just fine in beta 2.8.3.37556

Спойлер

i7 13700KF @ 5,4 GHz; DDR5 64GB RAM; Palit RTX 4090; AOC AG352UCG 35" 3440x1440; Win11.
Oculus Quest Pro.
"Marksman-L" rudder by MyCyJIbMaHuH ; VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base; VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip; VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle.

My settings for VR

Same here! All good! BOTH Scratchpad and ScratchPad Plus.

I did have a question about ScratchPad Plus's insert functionality  Works great for me (IN VR..... in 2D mode I think higher framerates mess up the insertions).

For the Hornet,. when I insert multiple WP's, it skips one (as detailed in the Readme) but then all subsequent WP's are in order.  For example, if I set my HSI to WP 0, the initial WP inserted is WP 2, but subsequent WP's are 3,4,5 etc.

In the Mirage, however, each subsequent WP skips one as well, so if I have BUT 01 selected, and I insert 3 new BUTs from ScratchPad Plus,  I end up with 3,5,7.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Note: Not related to the new Open Beta or MT. IT was doing this before as well.

Edit: Still happening with the new 0.5 release

Edited by Recluse
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am present too!
I mostly use it for scripts like mist or moose or gws. it is very convenient to use in vr.
that's why I can ask for an extension
of buttons like clr.
full page copy
paste entire page
size highlighted
undo edit
revert change
i tried to use chatgpt but without success
maybe even a lua text control button
and bookmarks
Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Can someone tell me how do down load this.. When I got to that bloody awful gethub site... I can never find the download link...

I see download source code... is that what we have to get? Do we have to compile the source codes?????

Man they make it beyond difficult... Why not clear directions on what to click on and what to download...

You would think a download button would be simple!

Anyway thanks all

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Click on the release link on the right hand side... Click on download source on the latest version of the file... It's not hard...

https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/releases

Lua does not need to be compiled... It is the release...

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks I will give it a try. I do wish people would not use a tool like this get hub thing. It's the most confusing thing I have ever encountered. The directions make it seems like there are files and folders. But thanks I will see if I can make heads or tails out of the source code.

• Like 1

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

For the majority of GitHub projects, if you're not a developer, you want to look for the 'releases' box. It's a pity they don't offer an option to make it more prominent, though it could be worth adding a link to https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/releases/latest to the installation section of the README

image.png

null

• Like 1

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

1 hour ago, Boneski said:

Thanks I will give it a try. I do wish people would not use a tool like this get hub thing. It's the most confusing thing I have ever encountered. The directions make it seems like there are files and folders. But thanks I will see if I can make heads or tails out of the source code.

Fully agree with U, why that thing has become that popular is beyond me, but of course I'm not a developer

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 weeks later...

I've released a new version: https://github.com/rkusa/dcs-scratchpad/releases/tag/0.7.0

Changelog:

• Scratchpad can now be extended via extensions. A prominent use-case is to add a virtual keyboard. (no changes to extensions compared to the preview version posted in this thread a while ago)
  • Set coordinate format for F-15E
  • Add optional hotkey to reload pages from disk

Also uploaded to user-files: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3331783/ (not approved as of the time of writing; but should be up in the next couple of days)

Edited by Binary
  • Like 2

Author of Scratchpad, DATIS, and maintainer of DCS-gRPC.

Thanks for this.  It would be so good if you could incorporate the Insert function used in ScratchpadPlus that automatically inserts the coords directly into the Hornet as a waypoint.

Any chance of looking at that? At the moment, both versions are required.

• Like 1