Late Night Musings

Nexus-6

Dear Heatblur,

We've heard all about the help you received from F-14 pilots and RIOs, and I was wondering...

Would it be plausible, if they're willing of course, to drop a real flight crew in the Tomcat? As excited as I am to finally get my hands on it (and I am), I would also very much like to see footage of how the pros do it.

Just a thought.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

This has to be on their to-do list... That said, I am sure the community will source this as well as they have with the -18 and the Harrier as of recently.

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

Great idea. In fact, I think it's time to get the greatest Naval Aviator-Naval Flight Officer pairing in history back together for one more (virtual) ride. I hereby nominate Admiral James "Sandy" Winnefeld as pilot and none other than Commander Dave "Bio" Baranek as RIO!!!

There is a youtube video of him flying it in VR too.

Totally missed it before. What a smooth landing. VR FTW!!!!

there's no way he does that with 2D monitors.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Not too sure about Jaws, despite having a great career he managed to lose an F14 in the process.

Nice guy, paid a high family price for his service.

What was the incident that caused him to lose an F-14? And did his family name have something to do with him continuing to rise all the way up the ranks like he did?

It'll be really cool to see how well (or not) former F-14 pilots have retained their skills. The F/A-18 is one thing since our fellow DCS players who flew it IRL haven't been out of the cockpit that long or are even still flying it. The F-14 pilots will be, at best, 13 years out of practice.

It'll be really cool to see how well (or not) former F-14 pilots have retained their skills. The F/A-18 is one thing since our fellow DCS players who flew it IRL haven't been out of the cockpit that long or are even still flying it. The F-14 pilots will be, at best, 13 years out of practice.
Probably like riding a bike for them.

I remember when Heatblur released that video. They mentioned watching that guy nail the recovery again and again.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah, their's a link in the comments. They said that he nailed it again and again, something their own testing team couldn't do.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I remember when Heatblur released that video. They mentioned watching that guy nail the recovery again and again.

No tactile feedback can be a bitch :(

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

True enough. It's a common complaint from real pilots who pick up the sim and play with it.

DCS in VR is a very cool experince, but there is, unfortunately, no (current) way to mimic the "feel" of being there. :(

That'd mean you basically have to learn it all over again, it just takes less time as you start to remember. I wasn't riding a bike for like 20 years and in my childhood I almost did nothing else. I was totally shocked of how hard it was to do it again as opposed to common opinion.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not too sure about Jaws, despite having a great career he managed to lose an F14 in the process.

Nice guy, paid a high family price for his service.

Maybe HB can set something up with Victory 205 with a nice VF-84 livery :D - at least when the A-model drops :pilotfly:y

When we have guys active in the community with extended stick time in the respective bird, it would be really nice to involve these community members - if they want of course.

There is so much knowledge and willingness to share it (if question are within the obvious parameters) - i think we are really blessed with some very nice guys/girls here!

Cheers

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H

Maybe HB can set something up with Victory 205 with a nice VF-84 livery :D - at least when the A-model drops :pilotfly:y

When we have guys active in the community with extended stick time in the respective bird, it would be really nice to involve these community members - if they want of course.

There is so much knowledge and willingness to share it (if question are within the obvious parameters) - i think we are really blessed with some very nice guys/girls here!

Cheers

I'd be stunned if they didn't include a beautiful VF84 livery. I thought that I saw a still shot of a Bones bird in one of their press releases.

And I agree, there are fantastic members here, and what I see from Heatblur is impressive as well. They seem to be dedicated on getting the module right, and Jester is a big deal given the value and uniqueness of the RIO in the F14 platform. Even the old F4 allowed the pilot to see the raw radar display. Not so in the Tomcat.

Viewpoints are my own.

I couldn't say whether Heatblur will include all of the F-14 squadrons, but I do know that VF-84 was one of the more famous examples, and it would be more than a little short sighted to exclude it.

I mean, they were in movies, and books, and video games, and I think I even had a couple of toy F-14s growing up that sported VF-84 colors.

No VF-84 for F-14B, but on the -A? Absolutely.

-103 will bear the skull and bones on the -B.

As for the idea in the OP; We're actually hoping to do this - but haven't approached any SMEs yet (IIRC). Ideally we'd like to put a former RIO in one VR rig side by side with a pilot. That would be super cool. :)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

No VF-84 for F-14B, but on the -A? Absolutely.

-103 will bear the skull and bones on the -B.

As for the idea in the OP; We're actually hoping to do this - but haven't approached any SMEs yet (IIRC). Ideally we'd like to put a former RIO in one VR rig side by side with a pilot. That would be super cool. :)

Very eager to see if you guys can make it happen.

Thanks, Cobra.