Stuck trying to make sense of how to load a TARGET profile into DCS

Bahger

I am facing multiple learning curves as I reinstall DCS after three years away. I have no experience with the Thrustmaster Warthog TARGET software. One of the most teeth-grinding challenges is attempting to activate a user-made Thrustmaster Warthog profile for the L-39 Albatros in DCS. It’s a very well-made profile but I just cannot figure out how to get it going. If someone could explain this to me as though to a very smart ten year-old I would be very grateful.

Here’s the deal. The instructions go as follows:

Install :

Unzip file content where you want on your PC.

Open Target.

Run the “Combined XXXXXX.tmc” with “Run configuration” Button.

Open DCS.

Load the 3 .diff files provided in the correct category (see file name).

Enjoy !

Warning ! : Works only if you load the 3 DCS command profiles provided, in the proper categories (Keyboard/Thrustmaster Virtual Device/Thrustmaster Virtual Device Axis), and set the TrackIR/Teamspeack keybinds as specified in the layout image provided.

The italicized text is what I simply cannot wrap my brain around. Where are these “categories” to be found? The names of the files I am supposed to load in the correct categories are

LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY AXIS THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.dff

LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY KEYBOARD.dff

LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.dff

But how do I load them? In DCS, it appears, but how? I am familiar with the columns is the DCS controls setup page but what do I do once I get the combined device column after running the configuration file in TARGET?

Please help, I am about to tear what’s left of my hair out. Many thanks.

You understand that *.tmc file is run with TARGET and it changes the output of the joystick devices. That seems OK.

But changing the output of joystick isn't enough. TARGET profile makes "Button 01" instead press "A" or "space bar" or "ctrl-shift-F11" or whatever. That's the whole purpose of the TARGET script to determine the output. But what does DCS do with this joystick output? That information is stored in *.diff.lua files.

When you have default binding which comes from developer as "A" airbrake command that is given in *.lua file e.g. C:\...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\L-39C\Input\L-39C\keyboard\default.lua. This file defines every command and its default key. Without it the control list in DCSW options would be entirely blank.

But what if you don't want airbrake to be key "A"? Maybe you want it to be key "B". So you just change keyboard\default.lua right? No, you don't. The *.lua that defines commands and defaults is not changed. Instead there is another file which tells DCSW how the user preference binds are different from default. These difference files are stored e.g. C:\Users\...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\L-39C\keyboard\Keyboard.diff.lua.

*.diff.lua files contain only the information of user preference of how custom binding preference is different than default. At first installation this file is empty because bindings are exactly equal to default. There is no difference from default so diff file is empty. If diff file is deleted then controls are returned to default. When one key is changed then only that one difference is recorded as different in diff file; all other keys which are default are assumed by lack of difference information.

We move LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY KEYBOARD.dff file into folder C:\Users\...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\L-39C\keyboard\ and name it LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY KEYBOARD.diff.lua. Profile maker made mistake with file name and did not write it correctly. Of course name before first "." can be anything you want.

OK we open DCSW and go to options, controls, L-39C. It doesn't matter what filter you choose "All" or "Aft CB Switch Panel" or even "Axis Commands".

It is not needed but it shows the effect for educational purposes we can choose any rectangle in Keyboard device column and press "Clear Category" button. It will ask "Are you sure you want to clear all assignments for device "Keyboard" (in category "Name of Category")?". For "All" category it won't have part in (). Click YES.

Click again any rectangle in Keyboard device column and press Load profile button. Navigate to folder C:\Users\...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\L-39C\keyboard\. It will have files Keyboard.diff.lua and LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY KEYBOARD.diff.lua. Choose the new .diff.lua and click OK.

Now you will see keys are set for this device in a new way according to this custom .diff.lua. Mostly it is the same but there are differences from original. For example default does not have RAlt-K bound but custom one does.

---

That accomplishes Keyboard device. Now we adjust Warthog device. Copy

LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY AXIS THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.diff

to

C:\Users\...\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\L-39C\joystick

and rename (same mistake as before) to

LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY AXIS THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.diff.lua

You may ask why we are not using other file called LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.diff. This is because profiler maker has a mistake in understanding. He thinks buttons and axis are separate .diff.lua files but they are not. Both files have the same button information but axis also has complete axis information. Only this larger file (2487 vs 1884 byte) is needed.

Just the same with keyboard select any rectangle in Thrustmaster Combined device column and press Load profile button. Choose LOAD IN DCS CATEGORY AXIS THRUSTMASTER VIRTUAL GAME CONTROLLER.diff.lua and click OK. You notice we did not clear category like the first time. That is fine because it was just a demonstration before. It doesn't matter if you clear category, reset category to default, or neither before you load profile. The new profile takes effect the same in any case.

---

You will notice that if you press button "MSP" on the throttle. It will trigger button JOY_BTN2 and this will be the command "Communication Menu."

---

Loading of the .diff.lua files is now complete.

• Thanks 2

This is fantastic, Frederf, thank you for taking the trouble to explain it to me in detail. As much as it is possible to map everything in the DCS control interface (which is somewhat better than it was four years ago when I last used DCS) this user-made profile for the TM Warthog looks detailed, authentic and well-built to me (in spite of the filename errors) and now, thanks to you, I get to save myself some time and to fly the Albatros with a ready-made, full-featured map. Will it input the right rudder commands, including toe-brakes, for my TM rudder pedals, I wonder? Thanks again for this; I owe you a beer.

From the look of the profile the rudder is excluded. This will mean that the rudder controller will remain separate from the combined device and you are free to bind it normally.

Real L-39 doesn't have independent toe brakes. It is the combined action of the rudder pedals and a lever on the stick. Profile seems to bind "Slider0" from Friction Control to brake axis.

I think for my L-39 profile I use the "S4" lever on the stick as the braking button. I could make something complicated like holding down a button and then joystick Y-axis do smooth braking but then I'd have to not exclude the joystick from the Combined. I actually did do that with MiG-21 though although most of the time I just tap the button.

Frederf, I followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately whenever I activate the combined virtual device in TARGET, it disables my joystick and I have to get out of TARGET and recycle the joystick's USB connection to get it working again. It's very frustrating. Of course it could be an error on my part, but, as I said, I followed your instructions very carefully. Is there anything you can suggest? If not I will either have to find a new profile for the L-39 or go through the process of mapping all functions in DCS...

Frederf, I followed your instructions to the letter but unfortunately whenever I activate the combined virtual device in TARGET, it disables my joystick and I have to get out of TARGET and recycle the joystick's USB connection to get it working again. It's very frustrating. Of course it could be an error on my part, but, as I said, I followed your instructions very carefully. Is there anything you can suggest? If not I will either have to find a new profile for the L-39 or go through the process of mapping all functions in DCS...

Wait, I think I fixed it. I had forgotten how quirky all this stuff can be, with so many devices having to play nice... Do you think it's good practice to have those imported .dill.lua files as the only files in their destination folders? Deleting one that looked iffy seemed to fix my joystick issues but I can't be sure. Thank you so much for your help; the L-39 (which I've been lucky enough to fly twice from the back seat) handles beautifully with this profile; it's such a great analog aircraft that welcomes good trimming...

Yup, mine will often do the same thing. The joystick excluded from the combined device does non-responsive. But if I unplug and replug it, it resumes.

Except that .tmc you're using combines both joystick and throttle into the combined device so it shouldn't do that. In any case I find replugging controllers can help. Obviously unplugging controllers included in the combined device will halt the script so that should be avoided.

It shouldn't matter if there are many .diff.lua files in that folder. In any case the problem of TARGET producing the desired output and DCS being setup to bind certain output as input are two completely independent problems. And it's generally TARGET doing what it should that's the less reliable.

If anything is wrong you want to understand if it's a problem with TARGET (can be diagnosed without DCSW running at all) or a problem with DCSW's handling of the joystick output. You'll go crazy if you can't separate those two aspects.

Thank you. I didn't realise that TARGET will deactivate your Warthog joystick as long as a profile is loaded (or possibly while the program is active).

I am now finding NOiD's sophisticated TARGET profile for the L-39 (both variants) to be immaculate and so much better than anything I could ever have cobbled together in either TARGET or DCS. I could never have got it up and running without your help so I am very grateful indeed; thank you once again.

• 11 months later...

You don’t is the simple answer What you do is a multi step process. First create or aquire a target profile. Second program the hotas using said profile taking note of what does what. Third load dcs go in to settings and item by item select the task or item in dcs for the aircraft and the hitting the control on the hotas that is supposed to trigger the event or task just like a dumb joystick. Do you follow now then once you have the profile the way you want it save and name it.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, tried to load target profile, only one time it was ok, but now it does not work for me, diff.lua files imported to the correct column, keyboard and thrustmaster combined. Any ideas?

i7-11700K 5GHz, 64GB DDR4@3200, ZOTAC RTX4090, iiyama 34 Red Eagle  || Quest 3, HP Reverb G2, TrackIR 5  || Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo, TM Warthog throttle(button box),  Virpil WarBRD+Viper stick, VPC interceptor pedals || TM MFD Cougar pack || F-16C, F-15E, AH-64D | Simshaker Jetpad || F-16 Panels: Landing Gear, CMDS, ICP, Avionics, Sensors, Lighting, Air Cond, HUD, Anti Ice

Honestly you should not even use the TARGET software. Changing your lua files is almost easier and works much better as it lets you select what you want from the game menu itself

ASUS ROG Strix Helios Case - ASUS AM4 ROG Strix X-570E MB - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 64 GB DDR4 3200 G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series - ASUS DualGeForce GTX 1070 - SSD 2x 1TB - HDD 10 TB - Windows 10 Home -

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster TPR Pedels - TrackIR