Run Systems off APU?

dresoccer4

Apu does not supply electrical power

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Apu does not supply electrical power

but what if it ran a generator? boom problem solved. i know some of the other modules can use the APU to power the systems.

lol seriously though is there a way to activate the MFDs without the hassle up cranking up the engines or using ground power?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Get ground power and check which switch powers the system you want on the left panel (front left of the throttle).

And no, APU is meant to start the engine, not provide electric power. That's why you have the options for EPU (external power unit) in the ground crew section of the communication menu, that's what you are looking for when you need ground power.

IRL yes but would serve no purpose in the sim and is only performed by maintenance crews.

Using a handle in the AMAD bay the AMAD and engine can be decoupled and perform a Ground Maintenance Mode (GMM) Turn. The APU drives the AMAD that has been decoupled and the generator and hydraulic systems will be semi operational.

Ground power switches is what you're needing.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

IRL yes but would serve no purpose in the sim and is only performed by maintenance crews.

Using a handle in the AMAD bay the AMAD and engine can be decoupled and perform a Ground Maintenance Mode (GMM) Turn. The APU drives the AMAD that has been decoupled and the generator and hydraulic systems will be semi operational.

hah, i knew there was a way. thanks for the tip

also FYI for everyone, in general terms (not f-18 specific):

https://www.reuters.com/brandfeatures/venture-capital/article?id=53535

"Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) are gas turbine engines used primarily during aircraft ground operation to provide electricity, compressed air, and/or shaft power for main engine start, air conditioning, electric power and other aircraft systems. APUs can also provide backup electric power during in-flight operation."

Edited by dresoccer4

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

"Auxiliary Power Units (APUs) are gas turbine engines used primarily during aircraft ground operation to provide electricity, compressed air, and/or shaft power for main engine start, air conditioning, electric power and other aircraft systems. APUs can also provide backup electric power during in-flight operation."

Ya, definitely not 18 specific. 18's APU is strictly for starting the engines. None of that other stuff. And "APU" is a fairly generic term for a lot of different systems.

Ya, definitely not 18 specific. 18's APU is strictly for starting the engines. None of that other stuff.

cool, question resolved. use ground power :thumbup:

That doesn't help in DCS nor would it help the pilot, as it is only for maintenance.

More like asking "is there a way to start the turbine without the APU?" - "Yes, in the engine test chamber during tests, but it misses the "airframe"... Ha, I knew it! ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Can anyone explain the procedure to use ground power on a cold start, I would like to use radios before actually starting the engines..

Thanks

Shaun

Results after doing a quick forum search: It's a handy tool.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212761&highlight=ground+power

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I wonder if the prepare mission feature off A-10C and Ka-50 does work. IIRC there was a caveat that certain items in the CDU or flight plan, etc were saved in the aircraft, as well as certain states?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Can anyone tell me where I can find the proper procedure for 'Request Repair'; do I just shut down both engines and re-start after repairs? Any ground power requirement to maintain data for the mission?

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

More like asking "is there a way to start the turbine without the APU?" - "Yes, in the engine test chamber during tests, but it misses the "airframe"... Ha, I knew it! ;)

The F/A-18 can be started using an external air source like a Huffer cart or dedicated air and electrical station like in Fallon. The connection for air start is in the right MLG wheel well next to the hydraulic filter bowls on the aft bulkhead. We used it when we had problems that needed troubleshooting with the APU, not just in the hush house. We almost never used this feature though as our APU's were very reliable.

As for GMM, it was mechanically coupled by hand by the ground crew and could not be used for starting the aircraft when it was coupled to the AMAD. The APU would have to be shut down and recoupled to start the engine before starting up for flight. It was rarely done because we could just do an engine ground turn and have all the systems we needed anyway... We needed a turn qualified sailor or pilot in the seat for either an APU turn or a engine turn either way.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

The F/A-18 can be started using an external air source like a Huffer cart or dedicated air and electrical station like in Fallon. The connection for air start is in the right MLG wheel well next to the hydraulic filter bowls on the aft bulkhead. We used it when we had problems that needed troubleshooting with the APU, not just in the hush house. We almost never used this feature though as our APU's were very reliable.

As for GMM, it was mechanically coupled by hand by the ground crew and could not be used for starting the aircraft when it was coupled to the AMAD. The APU would have to be shut down and recoupled to start the engine before starting up for flight. It was rarely done because we could just do an engine ground turn and have all the systems we needed anyway... We needed a turn qualified sailor or pilot in the seat for either an APU turn or a engine turn either way.

Yep! I was an AD(Final Checker/TS and Turn quald) and I was in the cockpit a lot, not only turning them up for my shop, power plants, but the other ones too, Airframers and AE's(electricians) mostly. ANYWAY, it was just SO much easier to run up an engine real quick to do maintenance than to go find a power cart.

And I don't think we ever had a huffer in the squadron.:D

Also, if you guys are wanting to simulate RL, turning on power just using battery was a big no NO. You could get your ass chewed out pretty quick if you wore down the batteries and they were known for doing that.

Edited by walleye62

Results after doing a quick forum search: It's a handy tool.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212761&highlight=ground+power

I’m fully aware of the search tool and the useless results it has given hence my question...

Can anyone give the procedure for using ground power on a cold start for my benefit and others who pick up this thread at a later date?

• Like 1

I’m fully aware of the search tool and the useless results it has given hence my question...

Can anyone give the procedure for using ground power on a cold start for my benefit and others who pick up this thread at a later date?

If there is one I don't ever recall it. I NEVER used ground power for a startup, and I never saw anyone else do that either(pilots or maintenance people). The only ones who I saw use those switches (and always in conjunction with a power cart) were maintenance people Like AE's(electricians) or AT's(Avionics and radars) and that was only if someone turn quald or a pilot wasn't available

I am not sure why you want to use ground power to do a startup. There is no reason to.

Edited by walleye62

I am not sure why you want to use ground power to do a startup. There is no reason to.

Ground power is used when the airplane is on a mission standing by in short readiness, just for instance, in an intercept role. That way the computers and mission data/voice communications can be up and running without firing up the engines. This is useful, because depending on the mission, you may not know how long the driver will be sitting in his pit, ready to scramble at a moment's notice - or if he will at all.

This is the only reason I can think of to use ground power before startup for actual flight...other than that, tech uses it all the time of course.

Yeah, maybe in game this is something you do.

However, that would not be real-world procedures ( though things have may have changed since I was in). 18's only have ready status on the boat like the ready 5's and such. They just sit back there on the tail ready to go as far as walkarounds and flight checks. They have no power on them. They don't need coms. The Air boss is pretty loud and everyone will know if there is an alert. And all the flight deck crew running around him telling him to get ready will be pretty obvious too ;)

But like I said maybe all that has changed since I was in

Edited by walleye62