OT: Vulcan flying at Elvington UK!!!

hello all

I am off to Elvington this August to see the...... VULCAN :eek: I never thought it would happen but it is still scheduled for flight>>>>>> :)

I know, what a sad person I must be, but the 'V' Bombers were incredible British inventions and my Dad said that the Vulcan could move like a fighter in the air! He said it was incredible to see the 5 man airframe maneuver in the air.

Sad we won't see the Vixen or the Valiant ever again :(

However we may one day see the EE Lightning and the Bucc, but I am not holding my breath since the MoD never seemed to think that these wonderful aircraft should be preserved... which silly tit in the MoD made that decision needs a rocket up his arse and the sack for giving up our (British) aviation heritage; the Civil Servant wanker.

I shall of course post all the wonderful Piccies when I go to the airshow.

Greets to Iggy, Ruggy, Radar dudy, FF, PA and all the regulars here at Lock On.

Mizzy

Waiting for your photos, man!! I simply love the V-Bombers. If you have some good photos of Valiant, please send me them with private mail.

Good luck and thanks in advance.

С уважением,

Olek. :smartass:

- Любите ли вы небо? - Нет, я не люблю небо. Любить надо женщин, а небом надо жить.

im going to see the vulcan fly at fairford this weekend

Oh no you're not! The Vulcan is nowhere near finished and hasn't even had its (secret) test flight yet. The chances of it flying this year at anywhere public are slim if you ask me. They still intend to do it, but there are no confirmed dates and time is running out.

http://www.tvoc.co.uk/forum.asp

Andrew McP

PS The flying Gripen display has also been scrubbed from Fairford, sadly. The Indian Su-30s are still there though and it looks like we *might* get something more than a simple flypast, judging by one of the photos from the hardcore spotters who've been there all week for arrivals and practise.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=10;t=35153

fairfordThursday001-1.jpg

A Vulcan?

Flying?

In England?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Post pics. Post lots of pics.

In fact . . . . let me go examine my bank account, it might be worth a trip to see a Vulcan . . . . for the second "you'll never see this anywhere else" shot of the summer . . .

P7070023.jpg

Both flyable ;)

In any case guys, does anyone have good photos of Vickers Valiant???

С уважением,

Olek. :smartass:

- Любите ли вы небо? - Нет, я не люблю небо. Любить надо женщин, а небом надо жить.

Or save your pennies, go for a holiday in South Africa and you can actually FLY in a Buccaneer or Lightning (or Hawker Hunter).

http://www.thundercity.co.za/

:pilotfly:

Yes I know ;)

Why can SA have these wonderful birds and we scrapped them :(

Andrew, yes I know its still up in the air about the Vulcan, or may be not so up, but it is still expected to be there and we still have over a month, so fingers crossed.

Sorry, no pics of the Valiant, lots on the net though!

Mizzy

Yes I know ;)

Why can SA have these wonderful birds and we scrapped them :(

Differences in the civil air regulations I guess. It's a private enterprise, although I dunno off hand where he actually bought the three aircraft he's got (or where he got export licences from).

I do know he uses the Hawker Hunter as his private transport when travelling around South Africa. I lived near Cape Town for a long number of years and saw that black Hunter of his zipping around fairly frequently.

Never personally saw the Buccaneer or Lightning in flight though.

Never personally saw the Buccaneer or Lightning in flight though.

Well chief, looks like I out-rank you on this 'un (age wise:cry:);

I was in the ATC 'till about the end of 1977, and went to a number of interesting bases.

Went to RAF waddington when Vulcans were still operating from there. Got one full day there, and there was some sort of exercise going on, so they were rolling in and out all day; Bloomin' heaven...:pilotfly:

Also saw Victor tanker at least once, plus all the stuff in service at the time; Lightning, Phantom, Buccaneer and even the good old Shackleton!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

159th Guards Aviation Regiment; recruiting now! http://www.159thgar.com/

We now fly all modern Jets and Helos

OhmyGod, I'm a diehard Vulcan fan, one of the best combinations of beauty, grace, and lethality (just like my beloved Superhornet and 30MKI), and one of the greatest sounds on earth.

I knew people were trying to get it up again, but I always thought it was a lost cause, just like those for the Concorde and such are. Can't believe it at all yet, I'll believe it when I see it fly!

SU-30MKI

simvavatarhornetqg8.jpg

F/A-18F

...Beauty, grace, lethality.

I'll believe it when I see it fly!

If you're in the UK get yourself over to the Telegraph or History Channel websites. They're running a rather tasty competition regarding the Vulcan.

Link to the Telegraph .co.uk site:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/main.jhtml?view=CAMPAIGN&grid=A1NoGoogle&pg=%2FETHtml/content/promotions/2007/05/23/history/index.jhtml&_requestid=603713&DCMP=OTC-histchnnl060607

Mizzy - Greetings back at you....

I can remember Vulcans flying over head when I was a kid. Aaah happy days. When we had an Air Force and Navy full of diverse and interesting aircraft.

Jester - great link. If I'm ever in S.A. I might give that a go - Buc obviously !!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Jester - great link. If I'm ever in S.A. I might give that a go - Buc obviously !!

Glad to help. I'm glad I moved back to the UK in 2000, but I have to say in all honesty (especially with the monetary exchange rate of around 14 Rand to £1), if you want a holiday of lifetime, then seriously consider a long break in Cape Town. It's a fantastic place and the surrounding regions are so varied that there is masses to do (even if you can't afford to go for a flight in one of Thunder city's jets).