Screen goes totally white when I run high SteamVR SS and high PD

imacken

With SteamVR SS set to 200% and PD set to 1.5, I just get a white screen taking over. I've got to lower settings to get normality back.

Doesn't happen in release version.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You're meant to use one or the other not both. The SteamVR supersampling sliders are there for games that do not have their own built in supersampling options. The pixel density setting in VR is DCS's implementation of supersampling for VR. Both are simply an increase in rendered resolution, aka an increase in the amount of pixels being rendered.

the values for PD represent percentage i.e 1.0 = 100%.

leave one at 100% which represents your native resolution, set the other to the highest value you can while still maintaining at minimum of 45fps. Unsure what the difference between 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 causing the white box... doesn't change that using two different methods of supersampling is redundant, especially given that you can set either to pretty high values. You're asking for a lot of pixels per eye.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

You're meant to use one or the other not both. The SteamVR supersampling sliders are there for games that do not have their own built in supersampling options. The pixel density setting in VR is DCS's implementation of supersampling for VR. Both are simply an increase in rendered resolution, aka an increase in the amount of pixels being rendered.

the values for PD represent percentage i.e 1.0 = 100%.

leave one at 100% which represents your native resolution, set the other to the highest value you can while still maintaining at minimum of 45fps. Unsure what the difference between 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 causing the white box... doesn't change that using two different methods of supersampling is redundant, especially given that you can set either to pretty high values. You're asking for a lot of pixels per eye.

Sorry, but that's not true. Using them together makes a huge difference. DCS PD of 2.0 is nothing like as good as PD 1.5 plus Steam SS of 200%.

In addition, 100% does not represent my native resolution in SteamVR. 50% in SteamVR gives native resolution.

Anyway, that's not the issue. The issue is the white screen. First time it has ever occurred is in this build.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, but that's not true. Using them together makes a huge difference. DCS PD of 2.0 is nothing like as good as PD 1.5 plus Steam SS of 200%.

In addition, 100% does not represent my native resolution in SteamVR. 50% in SteamVR gives native resolution.

Anyway, that's not the issue. The issue is the white screen. First time it has ever occurred is in this build.

Yes it is true.. they may produce a different supersampled image due to being different methods of doing so, but you can set a higher amount for either if you only use one or the other.

They are not meant to be used in tandem, both are requests for an increase in rendered resolution. fact.

Resolution defines a set amount of pixels configure by aspect ratio. Increasing resolution, increases the number of rendered pixels. The phrase pixel density refers to how many pixels are being rendered in a scene, or the resolution. You see that the "supersampling" sliders in steamvr are now labeled "Application resolution?"

You are applying 150% supersampling, to an image that is already supersampled 200%. hence it looks sharper. Try setting a pixel density of 2.5, or 3.0 with your steamVR slider set to 100%.. and presto that image will also be sharper than 2.0 pixel density.

Two different methods of reaching similar results. Use one or the other. Problem solved. You see that steamVR slider goes all the way up to 500% right? You also aren't limited to a pixel density of 2.0

Raise JUST one until you can no longer maintain 45fps then bump it down til you can. ez pz.

White box or not.. doubling up on SS imo is redundancy.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Yes it is true.. they may produce a different supersampled image due to being different methods of doing so, but you can set a higher amount for either if you only use one or the other.

They are not meant to be used in tandem, both are requests for an increase in rendered resolution. fact.

Resolution defines a set amount of pixels configure by aspect ratio. Increasing resolution, increases the number of rendered pixels. The term pixel density refers to how many pixels are being rendered in a scene, or the resolution.

Two different methods of reaching similar results.

I understand that and agree, but to say they 'are not meant to be used in tandem' is simply not correct. They have a multiplicative effect. Nothing wrong with using both at all. PD in DCS at max, just simply cannot reach the image quality of a combination of the two.

Anyway, as I said, that is not the point of this thread, which is to highlight the white screen bug.

I understand that and agree, but to say they 'are not meant to be used in tandem' is simply not correct. They have a multiplicative effect. Nothing wrong with using both at all. PD in DCS at max, just simply cannot reach the image quality of a combination of the two.

Anyway, as I said, that is not the point of this thread, which is to highlight the white screen bug.

I'm not saying ED won't find the cause of the white screen and come up with a fix.

Rather than say - "they aren't meant to be used in tandem" i will say to me it seems like overcomplicating the matter of SS. Using either option I can read my guages using the Odyssey and maintain 45 fps at the lowest altitudes. Objects in the distance will still blurr. 200% in my headset is already asking a lot of my 2080Ti. Pixels per eye about 5.1 or 5.2million. Thats more pixels than my 3440x1440 monitor per eye.

The relevance of that, is it seems the white box has something to do with the amount of pixels being drawn, whether it comes down to a bug, GPU capability, or something gone awry with drivers or newly released windows updates. This is supported by multiple threads where people are reporting different PD values causing the box, some of them likely unaware the steamVR application resolution sliders even exist. In other words I think you've stumbled on the one common factor concerning complaints of this particular issue, as I haven't encountered it..but probably could based on your information.

I'd say your workaround, however for the time being is to stick to one or the other. That also just happens to be advice I'd give someone setting up their headset for the first time.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

I'm not saying ED won't find the cause of the white screen and come up with a fix.

Rather than say - "they aren't meant to be used in tandem" i will say to me it seems like overcomplicating the matter of SS. Using either option I can read my guages using the Odyssey and maintain 45 fps at the lowest altitudes. Objects in the distance will still blurr. 200% in my headset is already asking a lot of my 2080Ti. Pixels per eye about 5.1 or 5.2million. Thats more pixels than my 3440x1440 monitor per eye.

The relevance of that, is it seems the white box has something to do with the amount of pixels being drawn, whether it comes down to a bug, GPU capability, or something gone awry with drivers or newly released windows updates. This is supported by multiple threads where people are reporting different PD values causing the box, some of them likely unaware the steamVR application resolution sliders even exist. In other words I think you've stumbled on the one common factor concerning complaints of this particular issue, as I haven't encountered it..but probably could based on your information.

I'd say your workaround, however for the time being is to stick to one or the other. That also just happens to be advice I'd give someone setting up their headset for the first time.

I’ve already stated that in every build of DCS until 2.5.4 this has not been an issue, so it’s not down to pixels drawn or GPU capability, etc. It’s a bug in the current OB. If I reduce Steam to 180% and PD 1.5, the issue goes away.

Do you use Odyssey Plus or Odyssey? We have almost identical systems, so talk of fps just comes down to settings and personal prefs if you are running the Plus as it has same number of pixels to push as the Vive Pro.

I’ve already stated that in every build of DCS until 2.5.4 this has not been an issue, so it’s not down to pixels drawn or GPU capability, etc. It’s a bug in the current OB. If I reduce Steam to 180% and PD 1.5, the issue goes away.

Do you use Odyssey Plus or Odyssey? We have almost identical systems, so talk of fps just comes down to settings and personal prefs if you are running the Plus as it has same number of pixels to push as the Vive Pro.

Mhm. I've read what you've already stated.

That doesn't change, that people are reporting this issue at different pixel density levels, and we have no idea of knowing their SteamVR settings.. indicating there's some point at which above a certain resolution you're getting the white box..

whether it's simply a coding error.. which it could very well be.. or something un-anticipated like a windows update which has been breaking crap all year.. not being an eagle dynamics programmer I'm not in a position to say what the issue is..so I cover the bases.

I use the Odyssey.. the screens for both headsets are 1440x1600 per eye. What changed is the perceived pixels per degree of view. Personally above 2.3 PD I become gpu limited and also tend to drop below the 45fps minimum for motion reprojection at low altitudes.

Spoiler

Worked for me. I was running 1.6 by 200 and dropped PD back to 1.0. This got rid of the milk screen. But curious that it just change in the latest beta build. O+ / 2080ti

R7 5800X3D / 32GB / VPC T-50 CM2 Base and CM3 Throttle with TM Hornet Grip / RTX 4080 Super / Meta Quest Pro

Mhm. I've read what you've already stated.

That doesn't change, that people are reporting this issue at different pixel density levels, and we have no idea of knowing their SteamVR settings.. indicating there's some point at which above a certain resolution you're getting the white box..

whether it's simply a coding error.. which it could very well be.. or something un-anticipated like a windows update which has been breaking crap all year.. not being an eagle dynamics programmer I'm not in a position to say what the issue is..so I cover the bases.

I use the Odyssey.. the screens for both headsets are 1440x1600 per eye. What changed is the perceived pixels per degree of view. Personally above 2.3 PD I become gpu limited and also tend to drop below the 45fps minimum for motion reprojection at low altitudes.

No issues in release version, so we can discount Windows updates. It is definitely a 2.5.4 bug.

I get about 50% reprojection no matter what settings - always!

Fixed in today's update!