Linkware ??

I've stressed this subject long time ago before, but would like to read your opinions on this:

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to create a software that can be used to link different online games (like Flight sims) together ?

Imagine, you could link up with you Lock-On FC on one of your friends computer using MS FS.

I mean, basically it is the same stuff like coupling datalinks (using different data formats) together by using real-time converters, so that one format is translated into another and basic information can be exchanged up to a certain degree.

For Lock-On, the data exchange is managed through the export.lua. I think, it is possible to develop something (maybe even based on LUA, too) that can convert and translate the dataflow generated by MS FS into Lock-On compatible data and vice versa. So aircraft position, aircraft type, HDG, SPD, ALT as the basic data could be translated into data that would be accepted and correcty be displayed by the other simulation.

Your comments ?

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

I that could work only if both games had same programming, in which case they would be a same game?! Anyway, it's not that simple to need only aircraft type, heading etc from one code to another. Different games use different ways and things to run... I am sure there are no two games out there with same code. Similar yes but not same.

No longer active in DCS...

I bet you that would be nowhere near as simple as you make it sound. It would be great if it could work but I very much doubt we'll ever see it happen, it's more likely someone will make a game with the best features of each simulator then someone will make a program to link all simulators.

First step could be looking into this:

http://www.projectmagenta.com/

The guys from Project Magenta managed to get the data from MS FS , read-out the values and use them to trigger appropriate cockpit gauges.

With the export.lua of LO, the same thing can be done.

So if there is software available to get the (online) data of flight sims via the online software interface,

it should be possible to 'extract' the data value from one sim, convert them to the corresponding values and formats of another sim and sent them into the sim using the online interface like the clients of other online gamers do.

If you can stimulate gauges with those data retrieved from a sim, it should be possible to stimulate another sim the same way.

kind regards,

Raven....

I that could work only if both games had same programming, in which case they would be a same game?!

No, it only requires that the data format that you sent to the sim is the same that it understands and that the values are within the sim's limits.

kind regards,

Raven....

A generic example:

See this part of the export.lua of LO:

function LuaExportAfterNextFrame()

-- Works just after every simulation frame.

-- Call Lo*() functions to get data from Lock On here.

-- For example:

-- local t = LoGetModelTime()

-- local name = LoGetPilotName()

-- local altBar = LoGetAltitudeAboveSeaLevel()

-- local altRad = LoGetAltitudeAboveGroundLevel()

-- local pitch, bank, yaw = LoGetADIPitchBankYaw()

-- local engine = LoGetEngineInfo()

-- local HSI = LoGetControlPanel_HSI()

-- Then send data to your file or to your receiving program:

-- 1) File

-- io.write(string.format("t = %.2f, name = %s, altBar = %.2f, altRad = %.2f, pitch = %.2f, bank = %.2f, yaw = %.2f\n", t, name, altBar, altRad, 57.3*pitch, 57.3*bank, 57.3*yaw))

-- io.write(string.format("t = %.2f ,RPM left = %f fuel_internal = %f \n",t,engine.RPM.left,engine.fuel_internal))

-- io.write(string.format("ADF = %f RMI = %f\n ",57.3*HSI.ADF,57.3*HSI.RMI))

-- 2) Socket

-- socket.try(c:send(string.format("t = %.2f, name = %s, altBar = %.2f, alrRad = %.2f, pitch = %.2f, bank = %.2f, yaw = %.2f\n", t, name, altRad, altBar, pitch, bank, yaw)))

end

Let us concentrate on the Pitch/AOB/Yaw-values. They can be used to trigger gauges in a pit, but it should be possible to 'translate' them to a corresponding data format which MS FS understands (the way it receives that data from other online player) as shown in the schematics below.

Basically, 30° AOB always is 30° AOB, no matter what flight sim you are using. So, the values itself are the information that has to be 'transported', and the 'vehicle' therefore is the dataformat where this value will be 'packed into' like into a cargo box. It all depends then on the format of that 'cargo box' because every sim only accepts a certain structure or form of 'cargo boxes'. This 'linkware' I am thinking about is just to open a box that was sent, take the content out of it, put it into another box and sent it away.

kind regards,

Raven....

well since I am not a programmer by profession I cant comment weather this is really possible. I personally dont think it is probably for some reasons of coding you are I are not aware of. I guess even if this is possible and someone comes with such software I dont see much use for it. I mean even if I could fly a MiG-29 in LockOn and all the position data being sent to another PC, translated and recoded so its program can read it... what would that person be able to do with it in his game? If the other person is, say flying with MSFSX if they dont have MiG-29 in game... what's the point? Basically that would mean everyone using this software would need to have every game, addon and such... but again games like MSFS don't have coded military radars, missiles etc... so I don't see any point to this idea.

I don't know maybe the idea is workable but I just dont see it.

No longer active in DCS...

No, sorry,

I'm no software developer. I'd like to, but I can't.

Unfortunately, neither am I(((

Just imagine - it'd be a system which will automaticly render missions, limitations, planes, weapons, kick cheaters and so on!!!???

Some people who are close to software told me that's unreal in the LO because of specific lua export system

I've stressed this subject long time ago before, but would like to read your opinions on this:

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to create a software that can be used to link different online games (like Flight sims) together ?

Imagine, you could link up with you Lock-On FC on one of your friends computer using MS FS.

I mean, basically it is the same stuff like coupling datalinks (using different data formats) together by using real-time converters, so that one format is translated into another and basic information can be exchanged up to a certain degree.

For Lock-On, the data exchange is managed through the export.lua. I think, it is possible to develop something (maybe even based on LUA, too) that can convert and translate the dataflow generated by MS FS into Lock-On compatible data and vice versa. So aircraft position, aircraft type, HDG, SPD, ALT as the basic data could be translated into data that would be accepted and correcty be displayed by the other simulation.

Your comments ?

Do you want to fly in a Microsoft FS environment using Lockon GUI?

Or do you want to use the Microsoft link interface as a standard for all flightsims available?

I think that I do not yet understanding the goal of your project.

The only problem is that MS FS is not covering the missiles.

The lockon environment is covered in the MS FS environment but not the other way around.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

I think Microprose intended to use Falcon in "digital battlefield" when it took the helm from Spectrum HoloByte (later Hasbro Interactive) in the nineties...

Btw, I can't believe it's soon a decade since Falcon 4.0 came out ('98...

[sigpic]http://www.virtualthunderbirds.com/Signatures/sig_LD.jpg[/sigpic]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Corsair 750D Case | Corsair RM850i PSU | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X CODE | 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 |

Intel i7-8086K | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Cooler | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |

X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB |

TM HOTAS Warthog | TM Pendular Rudder | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED | Win10 |

The idea of a thing like the "Digital Battlefield" is absolutely amazing. Just imagine the cooperation of LOMAC(FC/BS) and ArmA i.e. Each of those just expanded with the missing units of the other one. That would really kick some ass! Imagine to climb into a Shilka, drive it into the woods together with your crew and then track that radar contact and engage!! wooo-haaa

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5