Happy with my CE2

Rudel_chw

Thank you Magnitude, loving the aircraft so far ... tough my first attempt at a carrier landing wasnt very sucessful:

7SOnyhh.jpg

I'm now going to create a profile for my Hotas, before I embarrass myself any further trying to fly with just the stick :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

There are definitely some quirks with the flight model, but overall I'd say it's good fun!

What sort of quirks? I'm at work and have not been able to fly it out. Looks like a lot of ground looping has been taking place judging from the photos of a # of them lying on their tops :lol:

Looks like a lot of ground looping has been taking place judging from the photos of a # of them lying on their tops :lol:

Nahh .. I just need to be more careful with the wheel brakes :D

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

It is awesome in VR!!

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

What sort of quirks? I'm at work and have not been able to fly it out. Looks like a lot of ground looping has been taking place judging from the photos of a # of them lying on their tops :lol:

Overall I'd say the flight model is great (not a CE2 pilot so I wouldn't know) but as far as an advanced aerobatic plane is concerned you can do all the things, lomcevak, stall turn and all the other fun ones. My issues are due to ground handling. If you taxi onto the grass and then touch the brakes at all it sticks you permanently. The other thing is that if you push the stick forward on takeoff its actually impossible to nose the prop in (will post a video) which goes against my knowledge of physics lol. I was going 150 mph on the ground with full forward stick and it didn't nose over. The landing gear too seems way to springy but that might be how it is so I can't really know.

Edit just to add to the other commenters. It's an extremely forgiving taildragger due to the steerable tailwheel that breaks out when required.

Edited by JNelson

Yes, it tends to dig itself into softer ground. We are aware of that.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Overall I'd say the flight model is great (not a CE2 pilot so I wouldn't know) but as far as an advanced aerobatic plane is concerned you can do all the things, lomcevak, stall turn and all the other fun ones. My issues are due to ground handling. If you taxi onto the grass and then touch the brakes at all it sticks you permanently. The other thing is that if you push the stick forward on takeoff its actually impossible to nose the prop in (will post a video) which goes against my knowledge of physics lol. I was going 150 mph on the ground with full forward stick and it didn't nose over. The landing gear too seems way to springy but that might be how it is so I can't really know.

Edit just to add to the other commenters. It's an extremely forgiving taildragger due to the steerable tailwheel that breaks out when required.

It's not a flight model quirk. We noticed that during testing. It's primarily due to suspension issue (among other, smaller factors) and how suspension "works" in DCS. We're looking for solution for this. But if it was FM issue (propeller or something), you would not be able to fly manouvers / aerobatics properly.

This just requires some time to find solution.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Whew!! I was afraid it was going to act like FSX :lol::lol::lol::lol: Good to hear it can do those maneuvers, looking forward to trying them out!

@Hiromachi .. I'm currently programming my Hotas Cougar for the CE2 and I wonder why there are keybinds for weapons, countermeasures, flaps and other items that dont really apply to the CE2 ?

Dolphin left it as Easter Egg. Just an internal joke.

Or look closer, maybe there are fixed machine guns firing through the prop arc :)

Also, if you are into keybinding, if you have NS430, it works with module.

Dolphin left it as Easter Egg. Just an internal joke.

Or look closer, maybe there are fixed machine guns firing through the prop arc :)

ahhhh :D

Also, if you are into keybinding, if you have NS430, it works with module.

Good to know, but the NS430 is one of the few DLCs that I haven't purchased .. I prefer to navigate with the built-in equipment :)

One last little thing: I would like to share my Hotas profile on the User Files section of ED's website, but there is not yet a proper category for the CE2 .. Can you please suggest them to add it, it will also be useful once people begins to create more liveries or sharing tracks.

Cheers and best regards

I will, it should be there soon. We just got CE2 forum section, so it all will be appearing in a following days.

Dear fellow aviators and Magnitude 3LLC, hurrah!

I am quite happy that the release took place before I leave for one week abroad! I was waiting the first 100% civilian plane with great impatience..

Am I happy with my CE2? Almost! The plane was quite fun to fly but to my point of view there are at least 3-4 things that I am sure that Magnitude will iron in the future given the present state of the aircraft.

Before I give my .02, I am in NO WAY an aviation expert and have never flown Aerobatics IRL. I am a software engineer that converts diet coke & chocolate -> code -> euro(s) -> Avgas 100LL as I spend time towards my CPL/ATPL. In that direction I have around 130 hours total flight time with 80 of them being in a small French taildragger, the Jodel D112, a great little machine with an A65 in front.

Soooo.. I have an idea or two about taildraggers and ga planes but don't take my word for it..

Before I go back to my mancave to write some Java here are some bullets:

• Fun plane to fly
  • Convincing stall characteristics
  • Convincing behavior in aerobatics in general
  • No slip on full power at low speeds on take off? :O
  • Engine management and behavior not convincing at all!
  • Mixture behavior not realistic
  • Constant speed propeller I think is off, but have never flown with one IRL
  • Textures could use of some extra care and love
  • Sounds too!
  • Haven't tested crosswind landing BUT landing seems to be quite convincing for someone that has a few hours on a taildragger
  • Slip indicator on one side with crosswind but the plane not moving
  • Damage model?
  • Pressed hard the brakes after landing to see it tip over, it did not..
  • Playing with the throttle like a monkey does not change anything in the attitude of the plane
  • Same applies on the ground regardless of the sudden changes of the airflow over and below the wings when parked and playing with the throttle..
  • Oil temp seems stuck quite low even during summertime at Las Vegas after long after take off climb with an 100mph attitude

Verdict? More or less satisfied with my purchase and I really look forward to the day that we will have more GA material in DCS. For now I will keep my A2A T6 and Majestic Q400 in the hangar..

Edited by akalaitz

Thank you, the CE2 is an absolute fun aircraft to fly I even managed to land it right way up, I just need to realize you can't transition to a hover in it most embarrassing. :thumbup::D:D:D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

There were only 2 reasons for me to buy this module. The first one was to support Magnitude 3 because they are a great developer and I want to help them stay in business. The second reason was to see how close this flight model compared to my RV-8. For the past several years I have found myself constantly frustrated by trying to compare my experience in a very small and light weight tail dragger to the DCS Mustang, Spitfire, Fokwolf and Messerschmit. Now I have something VERY close to what I have a fair bit of experience with and I have to say it seems like they have nailed it! Thank you guys! I am very happy with this module! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am so DAMM happy!!!! Thank you Magnitude 3.

Oh, and.... Knife edge! Inverted! Snap roll! Loops! I'm so happy I could just... be happy.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I'm a bit surprised at how easy this one handles on the ground. The tail wheel seems to be connected directly to the rudder so no differential breaking needed like the WWII birds. Taking off was surprisingly easy as well. It just took off not much yaw to fight on the roll. The D9 and the spitfire on the other hand took a few tries before I could get them off the ground.