FPS limiters and Track-IR performance

bandit648

Just cap fps at 60 using msi riva turner or nvidia inspector and you'll be fine
I can confirm this. Yesterday I was messing around with my video settings and realized that the Vsyc option of DCS World is broken somehow. Then, I set the Vsyc directly from the Nvidia driver panel and now I get a steady 60FPS in mostly parts of the maps.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I'm reading this thread right. If I offload my Vsync and adjust the aero effects I should expect better stability?

After taking sometime last night to dig around what might be causing my stuttering, I was ready to start asking a few pointed questions lol

---> Like why does the GPU usage fluctuate so much in usuage on an 8770k? Is it normal? (Attached video Below)

I started to suspect it must've been tied somehow to the performance loss..The flight would hit 40FPS and my GPU would be just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn at 50% usage - like what's the deal..get off your ass dude

But I'll just have to test these suggestions before I go any further glad it's not just me!

I7 8770K @Stock / 32 GB DDR4 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB / Samsung 850Pro x 4 Drives in R0 @ (2GBS R&W) / Windows 10 Pro

So if I'm reading this thread right. If I offload my Vsync and adjust the aero effects I should expect better stability?

After taking sometime last night to dig around what might be causing my stuttering, I was ready to start asking a few pointed questions lol

---> Like why does the GPU usage fluctuate so much in usuage on an 8770k? Is it normal? (Attached video Below)

I started to suspect it must've been tied somehow to the performance loss..The flight would hit 40FPS and my GPU would be just sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn at 50% usage - like what's the deal..get off your ass dude

But I'll just have to test these suggestions before I go any further glad it's not just me!

VR or 2D ?

If 2D, then something is not right. Your GPU should always run 99% if you dont fps-lock it.

In VR things are a bit different but I fly so little in VR I am not the right guy to answer that part with confidence.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

VR or 2D ?

If 2D, then something is not right. Your GPU should always run 99% if you dont fps-lock it.

In VR things are a bit different but I fly so little in VR I am not the right guy to answer that part with confidence.

This is for 2D - But I just finished some testing using rivatuner to lock my FPS and I can infact confirm this to be a huge defect with vsync on DCS.

After adjusting those settings and doing some test flights today - NOT ONCE did my GPU usage go below 80-90%.

:thumbup:

Thanks for finding this out!

I7 8770K @Stock / 32 GB DDR4 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB / Samsung 850Pro x 4 Drives in R0 @ (2GBS R&W) / Windows 10 Pro

• 3 months later...

Just reading through this thread.

I cant help thinking there are other factors also affecting this.

the sound engine from DCS. Explosions, warning sounds from the cockpit. all seem to have a negative impact on frames for a split second. And yes sometimes it may coincide with the movement of your track IR.

also slight stick or rudder inputs seem to also trigger frame drops also. its not every time, but again can coincide with the movement of track ir, or even slow panning either vertical or horizontal..

so there is a magnitude of different things going on in the DCS engine which I think creates these momentary stutters every so often.. I dont think this can be fixed with any number of settings. we just have to live with it. Get it the best you can by capping frames, gsync what ever.

Unless DCS realises this and overhauls their game engine. these are all going to have an effect of the smoothness of the game play..

explosions, sounds, triggers in game, waypoints. all these seem to have some impact on frames one way or another..

that's my thoughts. after spending some time going through different settings suggested in this post..

Just reading through this thread.

I cant help thinking there are other factors also affecting this.

the sound engine from DCS. Explosions, warning sounds from the cockpit. all seem to have a negative impact on frames for a split second. And yes sometimes it may coincide with the movement of your track IR.

also slight stick or rudder inputs seem to also trigger frame drops also. its not every time, but again can coincide with the movement of track ir, or even slow panning either vertical or horizontal..

so there is a magnitude of different things going on in the DCS engine which I think creates these momentary stutters every so often.. I dont think this can be fixed with any number of settings. we just have to live with it. Get it the best you can by capping frames, gsync what ever.

Unless DCS realises this and overhauls their game engine. these are all going to have an effect of the smoothness of the game play..

explosions, sounds, triggers in game, waypoints. all these seem to have some impact on frames one way or another..

that's my thoughts. after spending some time going through different settings suggested in this post..

Hard to agree with this when I never see any glitches with Track IR.

After many years of use and tuning smoothness and speed, it runs flawless under all circumstances. A dark room is essential.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

It's hard to believe but even with a 2080ti and a 8700k 5G chip and 32GB and SSDs all over your TrackIR has a real good chance to stutter, or MICRO stutter when panning.

Ask Goa, he just made the experience that a 2080ti didnt solve his PITA. Just talked to him.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It's hard to believe but even with a 2080ti and a 8700k 5G chip and 32GB and SSDs all over your TrackIR has a real good chance to stutter, or MICRO stutter when panning.

Ask Goa, he just made the experience that a 2080ti didnt solve his PITA. Just talked to him.

I can confirm this, as discussed via pm with Bitmaster I've recently switched to a 2080ti asus rog strix oc from a previous 1080ti , the results with trackir are even worse, there is some sort of microstuttering for a fraction of second ,it appears as flickering immage/frame when panning around.

I am talking with caping fps @60fps with a gsync monitor.

There is nothing to do about it, during the last 3 years I've changed 3 motherboards, 3 cpu, 2 psu, 5 gpu (1060/1070/1080/1080ti and now 20080ti).

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I can confirm this, as discussed via pm with Bitmaster I've recently switched to a 2080ti asus rog strix oc from a previous 1080ti , the results with trackir are even worse, there is some sort of microstuttering for a fraction of second ,it appears as flickering immage/frame when panning around.

I am talking with caping fps @60fps with a gsync monitor.

There is nothing to do about it, during the last 3 years I've changed 3 motherboards, 3 cpu, 2 psu, 5 gpu (1060/1070/1080/1080ti and now 20080ti).

Man,that is crazy. I've been struggling for years with stuttering issues and it causes me to just stop playing dcs a few months at a time.

I watched Hellreign82 last video and it is so smooth, I wish I could replicate his in game performance. I run at 1440p and see that he runs at 1080p...maybe 1440p is too much for my PC to handle dcs? I do have a gsync monitor, but it is disabled.

Edited by dscamp

Intel i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz

H100i v2

MSI Z370 Gaming M5

Corsair Dominator DDR4 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz

EVGA 1080TI FTW3

ADATA XPG SX8200 240GB (Win10)

SAMSUNG 850 SSD (DCS & Saved Games Folder)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W

Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HOTAS Warthog

CH Pedals

TrackIR 5 w/Delan Clip Fusion

Logitech FSP

Gametrix Jetseat kw-908/Buttkicker 2

Man,that is crazy. I've been struggling for years with stuttering issues and it causes me to just stop playing dcs a few months at a time.

I watched Hellreign82 last video and it is so smooth, I wish I could replicate his in game performance. I run at 1440p and see that he runs at 1080p...maybe 1440p is too much for my PC to handle dcs? I do have a gsync monitor, but it is disabled.

Well, you likely dont talk about the same that Goa or any/most Track-IR users have.

Goa's and mine, and likely most others, is ULTRA smooth, as long as you do not pan approx. 45-90° left or right with TiR. If we fly w/o Track-IR it's super smooth.

If you have stutter other than what is described above, then we do not talk about the same stutter, in our case micro-stutter.

My micro stutter got so little that I disabled fps-lock at 60 and fly with full fps.

If your rig stutters w/o TiR, then you have a serious issue other than what TiR causes.

Well, you likely dont talk about the same that Goa or any/most Track-IR users have.

Goa's and mine, and likely most others, is ULTRA smooth, as long as you do not pan approx. 45-90° left or right with TiR. If we fly w/o Track-IR it's super smooth.

If you have stutter other than what is described above, then we do not talk about the same stutter, in our case micro-stutter.

My micro stutter got so little that I disabled fps-lock at 60 and fly with full fps.

If your rig stutters w/o TiR, then you have a serious issue other than what TiR causes.

Hi Bitmaster, thank you for your reply!

My stutters only happen with TIR, but is buttery smooth when disabled. How did you manage to get it running so smoothly? I have mine capped through the autoconfig file @ 60, lined out the max fps in the graphics file (per Goa) and have disabled gsync.

Any help you could give me I would appreciate it immensely!

Intel i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz

H100i v2

MSI Z370 Gaming M5

Corsair Dominator DDR4 64GB (4x16GB) 2400MHz

EVGA 1080TI FTW3

ADATA XPG SX8200 240GB (Win10)

SAMSUNG 850 SSD (DCS & Saved Games Folder)

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1200W

Phanteks Enthoo Pro

HOTAS Warthog

CH Pedals

TrackIR 5 w/Delan Clip Fusion

Logitech FSP

Gametrix Jetseat kw-908/Buttkicker 2

My stutters only happen with TIR, but is buttery smooth when disabled. How did you manage to get it running so smoothly? I have mine capped through the autoconfig file @ 60, lined out the max fps in the graphics file (per Goa) and have disabled gsync.

ony my system using autoconfig to cap fps@60 never worked, I am using msi afterburner which come with riva turner statistic server which allows you to cap fps at any desired number.

I also suggest increase smooth on trackir software to max value (is 50) and speed to about 0.8 , this will smoother the overall trackir behaviour.

Also set nvcp vsync ON, disable vsync in game, enable gsyc in nvpanel also.

By the way, I am not saying that my experience is so bad at all, jsut sometimes this little micro-stuttering with the 2080ti which in my opinion is caused by bad drivers.

Before switchin to the 2080ti, with my 1080ti and latest DCS openbeta version I was perfectly playing at 60fps with ZERO stutters.:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

See Goa's note above.

My stutter is either lesser than his or my perception is more tolerant, I dont know which is the case, maybe a bit of both.

Right now I am fighting a USB-BSOD that came after cleaning my PC which required me to disconnect all peripherals. Now, with all back, I had 2 USB caused BSOD's, with a working 0-100% dump before reboot.

Since last night I run SLEEK, only USB is KB + Mouse.

To otherwise load the system I fired up 3 VM's, RAM is 91% used ever since they loaded, all cores are given to VMs and nothing happens....no BSOD.

I hate USB, I guess I have written that 1000 times already.

One by one I will reconnect, VR as last thing, starting with TM Hotas, then Rudders, TiR, etc..

and have at least 1 day in between each.

Win10 sux too, I blame 10 for these BSOD's. With Win7 I havent had BSOD for YEARS.

Edited by BitMaster

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is the consensus still that the in-game FPS limiter is inferior to using Riva tuner? What's the issue with the in-game limiter anyways? Thanks,

no issue expect that it doesnt work....:lol:

• 1 month later...

I have a 144Hz GSYNC capable monitor...

After much trial and error, I have found the following to give me the smoothest TrackIR performance:

GSYNC off

Set monitor refresh rate to 120Hz

Set vertical sync to Adaptive (half refresh rate) in Nvidia control panel

No frame rate limiter

I had tried using GSYNC and limiting FPS to 60, but the microstutters were still present, most noticeable when looking to the side.

The capabilities of my monitor are useless and not compatible with TrackIR...I wish I had l known this before purchasing the monitor. Oh well.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Oh crap! I'm waiting for my Dell S2716DG to arrive. I bought it after a long research for a good Gsync monitor and now I'm worried about these issues with track IR. :(

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

Oh crap! I'm waiting for my Dell S2716DG to arrive. I bought it after a long research for a good Gsync monitor and now I'm worried about these issues with track IR. :(

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

I have the same monitor, I have not had an TiR stutter problem (i'm not saying others aren't), just it has never impacted me.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have the same monitor, I have not had an TiR stutter problem (i'm not saying others aren't), just it has never impacted me.
Good to know from a user of the s2716dg. Thanks man

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

So far my FPS is locked at 62 with RT and I'll leave this setting+Gsync ON when my Dell monitor arrive. I'll do some test and post the results here.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

So far my FPS is locked at 62 with RT and I'll leave this setting+Gsync ON when my Dell monitor arrive. I'll do some test and post the results here.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Why are your FPS limited to 62 and not 60?

I am looking forward to your results. Some people may be more/less sensitive to the stutter.

I had a 60Hz monitor before my current one, so there was no issue with TrackIR. I immediately noticed the stuttering when switching to the 144Hz GSYNC monitor. I first had it set at max FPS which in DCS, my FPS varied greatly from 80's to 144. I realized after a lot of research that this did not work with TrackIR's 120Hz refresh rate, even with GSYNC turned on. 120 FPS is not sustainable in DCS of course unless you lower the graphics settings, so I limited my FPS to 60. This improved the stutters significantly but they were still noticeable, especially when looking to the side...it seemed like the ground/scenery would stutter by, almost like skipping a frame. This all has led me to my settings I posted earlier.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Why are your FPS limited to 62 and not 60?

I am looking forward to your results. Some people may be more/less sensitive to the stutter.

I had a 60Hz monitor before my current one, so there was no issue with TrackIR. I immediately noticed the stuttering when switching to the 144Hz GSYNC monitor. I first had it set at max FPS which in DCS, my FPS varied greatly from 80's to 144. I realized after a lot of research that this did not work with TrackIR's 120Hz refresh rate, even with GSYNC turned on. 120 FPS is not sustainable in DCS of course unless you lower the graphics settings, so I limited my FPS to 60. This improved the stutters significantly but they were still noticeable, especially when looking to the side...it seemed like the ground/scenery would stutter by, almost like skipping a frame. This all has led me to my settings I posted earlier.

My current Benq monitor is fullhd and capable of 144mhz but for stable FPS with my current setup I followed this guy instructions.

Hello Vu733,

"TIR is working at 120Hz (camera) so in game, TIR is only smooth at 60fps or 120fps.

If you want to play DCS with TIR, you have to cap DCS at 60 fps or 120fps.

On my rig, TIR is smooth between 60 and 62fps.

After many many hours of test, today I cap DCS at 62fps with Nvidia Inspector. In game sometimes fps drop between 61 and 62 (only because of fps capping which is not steady, in fact with no capping, my fps are always above 80fps)."

Try this with Nvidia Inspector or Riva Tuner. I'll be able to post my results in two or three weeks.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9