FPS limiters and Track-IR performance

bandit648

the sound engine from DCS. Explosions, warning sounds from the cockpit. all seem to have a negative impact on frames for a split second.

explosions, sounds, triggers in game, waypoints. all these seem to have some impact on frames one way or another..

For me this has nothing to do with TrackIR.

I only have those whenever that particular sound is first used after start. Like DCS load only those sounds into memory that it needs on mission startup and not all of them and only loads those that aren't loaded into memory on first use. This first load causes a little hickup (even when loaded from SSD although a lot smaller hickup then when loaded from HDD).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, got my new monitor, a Dell S2716DG and yesterday I had plentty of time to run some tests.

At least for myself, using the Gsync + TrackIR without limiting my FPS to 62FPS with the RivaTuner it gets a little stutter, a little but it exist. BUT I noticed this only happens because you can't get constant 120/100FPS in DCS World and in other modern Sims (tested on IL-2 BoS also), BUT the trick is to use the RivaTuner and set the max FPS to 62, so with a good hardware setup you'll be able to hold at least the 60FPS sweet spot. Now I'm enjoying a perfect gameplay without any stutter, at least when my setup can hold more than 55/60 FPS, thing that unfortunately I can't on Normandy map and some parts of the Nevada and Persian Gulf, but it's not a problem at all.

Hope this help you guys.:thumbup:

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

I dont have the Dell monitor which u have but i have an ASUS PG278QR with also 144Hz. I turned off all G-Sync things and V-Sync things. Then i locked my FPS via RivaTuner to 60FPS for DCS and as well for TrackIR (dont know if this makes anything but we have the Head turning window were we have a 3D things running). This gives me according to FPS and FrameTime really kind of no stutter or more no stutter at all. The graphs shows only minimum action in lagging or stutter.

May this can help to reduce the last of stutter which u have but if u feel comfortable with that what u got then let it like it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a stutter issue that drove me crazy. The view lagged behind or when I looked up it flipped. Just basically all sorts of issues that ruined the immersion. I did all the things one does suspected a program was running in the background and chased that for days. So what was MY issue? I fell dumb but basically there was light spooking the sensor that caused erratic behavior. IIRC there is a setting light filter threshhold that I adjusted to make the sensor less sensitive. Solved. As for the other issues I hit default and that solved the other issues. People mean well but I had used some suggested settings which caused issues.

• 1 month later...

New Nvidia Driver 441.87 has Native Frame Rate Limiter

"Maximum Frame Rate

This driver introduces a new Max Frame Rate setting that allows users to cap the frame rate at which a 3D game or application is rendered. This feature is helpful when trying to save power, reduce system latency or paired with your NVIDIA G-SYNC display to stay within variable refresh rate range. Access the feature from the NVIDIA Control Panel->Manage 3D Settings->Max Frame Rate."

"Maximum Frame Rate

This driver introduces a new Max Frame Rate setting that allows users to cap the frame rate at which a 3D game or application is rendered. This feature is helpful when trying to save power, reduce system latency or paired with your NVIDIA G-SYNC display to stay within variable refresh rate range. Access the feature from the NVIDIA Control Panel->Manage 3D Settings->Max Frame Rate."

Whoa, great news! Thanks for the heads up!

Question though...

I currently use EVGA Precision to limit my FPS to 60...would using NVIDIA Control Panel be better for limiting the frame rate?

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

emh emh there are severala threads about this issue, I along with other have tried to figure it out , but in 2 years of several attempts the only solution we've found out is to cap fps @60 via msi riva turner which has the lowest input lag detected.

I have a 165hz asus rog pg278qr monitor gsync , 1080ti and a 5.0ghz oc 8700k + 32 gb ram @3600mhz.

There is no solution to this problem, natural point from trackir never akcnowledged the problem, and I am quite sure it is a hardware limitation of the trackir itself.

To be more clear : the game operates in D3D , trackir in Opengl :)

Honestly, I would forget about Natural Point as it seems that they are not supporting Track IR via software updates anymore. There are several issues to correct, but no updates since 2016 although I hope that this is because they are completely reworking it.

Yes, I've read all of the threads on subject. I realize I have to lock at 60 fps to get smooth trackir, but I'm wondering if there's any way to maintain a constant 60 fps without dips into the 50's.

If I uncap my fps I never dip below 60 even with heavy missions. When capped with riva fps fluctuate from 55-60 fps unless I'm flying around an empty map. This may just be a DCS thing and no way around it.

Has anyone tried any trackir alternatives? I wonder if there is a hands-free mouse or something that would work better. It's so frustrating to be stuck with this!

I have found out that Default Terrain Shadows option has a great impact when in tree areas in the Caucasus map (which is the more demanding map). In my case, it also dips to 50s and it is quite annoying but it also looks great so I don't know what to do. Lowering to Flat shadows solves it mostly but I am a graphic whore so it causes me itches to lower the option :megalol:

Edited by Al-Azraq

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

VR or 2D ?

If 2D, then something is not right. Your GPU should always run 99% if you dont fps-lock it.

In VR things are a bit different but I fly so little in VR I am not the right guy to answer that part with confidence.

DCS is very CPU bound at the moment as it only uses 2 cores: one for sound, the other one for the rest. This causes that the GPU is on holidays while the CPU makes its thing so it is difficult to see the GPU at 100% as it should be in a well optimised game. This will potentially change with the new Vulkan API that is coming.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Question though...

I currently use EVGA Precision to limit my FPS to 60...would using NVIDIA Control Panel be better for limiting the frame rate?

First reports say that the limiter introduced by nVidia works really well. I will try it this afternoon to limit my FPS to 60, I will keep Gsync on and Vsync on and start testing from that. I like how Gsync works usually, but DCS has many frametime fluctuacions that can be mitigated by limiting the FPS.

Question though...

You're welcome

And to answer your question I have no idea to be honest.

I'm mostly playing VR now but I had been using the frametime limiter in Rivatuner. In NCP I used adaptive sync for my 60 Hz bigscreen and prerendered frames set to 1.

I wouldn't be sure how to test it without having a way to test objectively latency and input lag. It might be hard to tell any difference with the Mk I eyeball. I see it definitely having potential though. guru3d.com and blurbusters get pretty hardcore about testing these things so hopefully they have something in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot for the life of me get the new V3 Nvidia framerate limiter to work in DCS. Can anyone verify? V2 works fine, and V1, but the latest version does nothing.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I cannot for the life of me get the new V3 Nvidia framerate limiter to work in DCS. Can anyone verify? V2 works fine, and V1, but the latest version does nothing.

Are you unticking vsync in DCS options? make sure that is disabled.

If you have that switched on it will override the nvidia FPS limiter, the best way to go about all of this would be to use Fast Sync in NVCP then set the FPS slider to you desired amount.

I just found out yesterday, that i have to restart DCS (actually every game) after any change in NVCP or Inspector. Otherwise nothing happens. Also, I needed to untick "Full Screen" in (DCS-Settings). Now image sharpening also works, but that's another story

So image sharpening has worked all along for me, but the Framerate limiter doesn't. I have a gsync screen, but I have disabled gsync, tried vsync/fastsync, no vsync, reinstalled the driver and only enabled the framerate limiter, still nothing. It's odd because V2 has been working fine, just thought I would try V3. I have also tried the limiter with both ProfileInspector and without ProfileInspector. I have tried disabling Asus Tweak II and Process Lasso, neither of which make a difference to the problem.

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
So image sharpening has worked all along for me, but the Framerate limiter doesn't. I have a gsync screen, but I have disabled gsync, tried vsync/fastsync, no vsync, reinstalled the driver and only enabled the framerate limiter, still nothing. It's odd because V2 has been working fine, just thought I would try V3. I have also tried the limiter with both ProfileInspector and without ProfileInspector. I have tried disabling Asus Tweak II and Process Lasso, neither of which make a difference to the problem.

umh this is quite strange,

and what V3 are you guys talking about?Under new NVidia drivers I have no option for V1,V2 or V3 fps limiter but only generic fps limiter option.

Anyway on my end since Nvidia introduced this feature it always worked flawless.

I would like to ask you : are you running MSI afterburner with rivaturner statistic server?

also for your and everyone information, I found nvidia fps limiter very capable and even most SMOOTHER is you edite the graphics.lua file and DELETE the line of "max_fps 180"

Be sure you also don' have any autoexec file in savedgames directory.

:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

umh this is quite strange,

and what V3 are you guys talking about?Under new NVidia drivers I have no option for V1,V2 or V3 fps limiter but only generic fps limiter option.

[...]

I meant scroll further down the list for frame rate limiter, see pic

attachment.php?attachmentid=196428&d=1540161289

• 3 months later...

Anyone ever find out if you can overclock the TrackIR? I'd like higher than 120 FPS/Hz to match a higher refresh rate on my monitor.

Right now I have DCS FPS capped/locked at 120 to make TrackIR 5 smooth but would prefer higher.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Anyone ever find out if you can overclock the TrackIR? I'd like higher than 120 FPS/Hz to match a higher refresh rate on my monitor.

Right now I have DCS FPS capped/locked at 120 to make TrackIR 5 smooth but would prefer higher.

Do you achieve smooth performance in DCS with higher than 60 fps limiter? I will try limiting it to 120 hz as right now I have it at 60 hz.