Odyssey+ vs Vive 1.0 Initial Impressions

SharkBaztard

Long time user of Vive 1.0 - Just received new Odyssey +

PROs

Resolution - Odyssey (Much Better) I am very happy with the increase resolution and the SDE is nearly gone! On the Vive, spotting air targets was pretty easy and I was worried that a distant air target would possibly get worse with Odyssey due the SDE removal feature considering how it effects textures near the SDE...but to my suprise spotting air targets is easier than ever. MUCH easier than 2D. I can even somewhat determine the shape of the aircraft at a much further dist than Vive or 2D.

God Rays - pretty much gone - so much better!

Head Tracking - Seems great + no need for all the electrical outlets to run the headset + 2 tracking stations.

and... thats it for the PRO's.

CONs

Comfort - Vive wins hands down - hands down

Fit - Terrible, only designed for people with a wide face. Light bleed everywhere (didnt effect gamplay but still).. Hurts my forehead in comparison to Vive.

SetUp - Odyssey is easier but has some stupid features that could drive a new VR user insane (luckily I am no stanger to VR issues)

Features

Auto on sensor (when putting headset on/off your head. This is terrible and causes the headset to get confused if u take it on and off.. I lost control of my mouse for about 30min until I figured this one out. Solution = put tape over the sensor and manually turn on/off the headset like Vive. (DO THIS ASAP lol)

Built in headphones - Sounds good but are not removable.. this makes using your own headset/mic impossible.

Room Scale Games - Vive wins...just cant beat Vive but who cares this is DCS.

Coequal

Performance - Did not notice any negative impact - so they are equal

Initial thoughts and will I keep it?

The headset should not get the raving reviews it has due to everything EVERYTHING but the visuals being worse. I really hope they continue to improve on comfort, built in audio and other quirky features.

It does deserve great reviews on resolution and anti SDE!

I am so ready for better visuals that I am going to switch and move away from the Vive but I will be looking at ways to defeat the comfort issue and maybe even look into removing the headphones if I can do it without perma damage to the display (dont care about perma damage to the audio)

I am mainly sold on visuals bc I just did a turning fight with a mig and have never had more clarity while doing so.

Runs great - seems about the same on performance

i7 4790k 4.0

1070SC

32G ram

SSD

I'll report back later for longer use review.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224024&page=19

The rubber band does the trick, weight no longer all on the forehead. Than loosen up the crown band and relieve some pressure. You can find them at any good exercise section in a sports store.

Nice to find this recommended in this thread as well. Still love that silly little solution of mine. Made a huge difference. Still not perfect, but I don't hate wearing the O+ anymore.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I made a yoke for the top of my head from paracord. Looks like the top of the Oculus. The face foam is held on by Velcro - you can change the shape by slipping Dr Scholls pads under it. My large nose was being rubbed raw from the HMD resting on it until I changed these two things. Weight is now supported by top of the head, forehead and cheeks.

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

what headset/mic do you recommend? and how does do you attach or fit them with the headset?

I just have a pair of wireless Logitech G933's. I put the odyssey on, then my headset over it. The head strap fits between the gap above the headphones ear piece and head band.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I removed the headphones from mine so i could use my own headset and Mic. MUCH better.

How exactly did you remove them? ....I'm thinking of doing the same...

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

How exactly did you remove them? ....I'm thinking of doing the same...

i unscrewed the headphones, 1 main screw for the main flap that covers the two smaller ones that hold the headphone if i recall. I then used a razor blade and cut the head phone wires (makes sure the odyssey is unplugged). Then i used the main cable clip on the left hand side to hold the flap to the main band and then used black electrical tape to wrap the right flap to the right main band.

I can add some pics if needed. Let me know.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog