TrackIR or VR? why?

I used VR and I was not impressed. I mean, I was impressed with the theory and the potential future of it, but in my mind, having a SimPit+TrackIR is far better than VR. That's my opinion though.

That says it all right there. Different people are looking for different things in their sim experience, and there's nothing wrong with that. :D

I don't think anybody here is going to change anybody's mind. All I can say to the OP is a repeat of what Headwarp and a few other guys have said. The only way to know for sure is to try both and see which one YOU like best, regardless of what other people might like. Just make sure you're either willing to burn some cash and possibly have something gather dust, or find a place to buy your equipment from that has a good return policy. :thumbup:

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Same here.

I’m still using VR for DCS, but it’s only for relatively simple flights which don’t require heavy button control and data reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you not set up VR zoom? Have you not tried VoiceAttack and its ability to put the mouse over a switch via a voice command? Your issues have been solved!

Have you not set up VR zoom? Have you not tried VoiceAttack and its ability to put the mouse over a switch via a voice command? Your issues have been solved!

That was the conclusion after trying those solutions. Just not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you not tried VoiceAttack and its ability to put the mouse over a switch via a voice command? Your issues have been solved!

Not all of us are in an environment where we can constantly speak voice commands, and even if we can, we may not want to. Using VoiceAttack to activate switches is a workaround, not a solution.

Having recently bought the Rift I can say it was the most jaw dropping sense of immersion I've ever experienced, to the point were I forgot I was sitting in a computer chair and started reaching around to try to touch stuff in the cockpit. I now understand the spilt beer comments.

I returned it one week later.

For me the deal breakers were:

• Resolution is not quite there yet and the resulting screen door effect, at least for me, was a real hinderance. I just couldn't get past it.
  • Not sure if it's related to wearing glasses but I found it a real pain to constantly have to adjust the headset to realign my eyes to the sweet spot where text became clear(ish).

I'm now using TrackIR and finding it a much better solution for someone who is, ability wise, at the novice end of the scale in DCS.

Looking forward to what the next gen VR may possibly offer. If it solves the above issues I will definately be dipping my toe again.

Having recently bought the Rift I can say it was the most jaw dropping sense of immersion I've ever experienced, to the point were I forgot I was sitting in a computer chair and started reaching around to try to touch stuff in the cockpit. I now understand the spilt beer comments.

• Resolution is not quite there yet and the resulting screen door effect, at least for me, was a real hinderance. I just couldn't get past it.
  • Not sure if it's related to wearing glasses but I found it a real pain to constantly have to adjust the headset to realign my eyes to the sweet spot where text became clear(ish).

I'm now using TrackIR and finding it a much better solution for someone who is, ability wise, at the novice end of the scale in DCS.

Looking forward to what the next gen VR may possibly offer. If it solves the above issues I will definately be dipping my toe again.

If screendoor is an issue for you, try Odyssey+

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Well put.

I owned both Oculus and a 4K 65” curved monitor and used them interchangeably for a year.

Based on this thread, I’m not sure if this puts me at more or less risk of remorse.

Anyway, I recently replaced my 4K screen with another, and put my Rift on eBay.

I’m not endorsing either setup as I cannot possibly know what others may prefer, much less judge them for their preference. That would be mindless.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Not all of us are in an environment where we can constantly speak voice commands, and even if we can, we may not want to. Using VoiceAttack to activate switches is a workaround, not a solution.

I fly VR exclusively, and the only thing I use voice attack for is the radio comms menues.

Otherwise, mouse interaction with the pit is easy, and "realistic". Once Miles gets his finger tracker it will be even easier, or we get captogloves.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I fly VR exclusively, and the only thing I use voice attack for is the radio comms menues.

Otherwise, mouse interaction with the pit is easy, and "realistic". Once Miles gets his finger tracker it will be even easier, or we get captogloves.

I use voice attack for other things like pause, map, I even tried external view s

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yep that is how I use VA also.

Also Vaicom Pro is a wonderful thing!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use voice attack for other things like pause, map, I even tried external view s

Ok, comms and a few other things... :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sounds like I've gotta work on getting Voice Attack and Vaicom set up again. I wasn't able to get Vaicom working reliably, but I think I just haven't put enough time into it yet to figure out the tricks.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

If you don't want to spend the money on VR like me, go for the Tobii 4c eye and head tracker.. it is absolutely amazing in game. Forget TrackIR, mine now sits in a box gathering dust.

As for VR, I won't be going that route until they get to 3840x2160 true 4K resolutions. When that happens, I will then consider it depending also if they have finally come down in pricing as well.

Take it light...

Malakie

Buy Tobii Eye & Head Tracker with 5% off using link (https://www.kqzyfj.com/3r65ft1zt0GIHHKJOIILGILLMHKNL) - Use code at checkout: MALAKIEUSN 

I flew ED simulators since 1st Lock On, on screen with Track IR and various joysticks.

Then I switched to VR exclusively about 3 moth ago. I setup myself light "cockpit" with HOTAS Warthog, 3 MFDs, Buddy Fox A10C UFC and small numerical keyboard. Mapped everything to F/A-18C, including some combimations with paddle-switch modifier, in this way I don't need to touch mouse at all to start and control aircraft, and all the physical switches and buttons are in a logical position (at least to me). I overclocked my CPU, and carefully adjusted DCS settings so I have a very smooth framerate and good looking picture using Oculus Rift. I use mouse only for radio menu interaction, and want to replace it with Voice Attack + Vaicom, but need to find time to set everything up correctly.

So after 3 month of VR flying: Case I, Case III carrier landings, AAR day / night, BFM and ACM and a little bit of ground pounding, also occasional flights on A-10C. One day I had to fly with a regular monitor, and I didn't expected how strange it will be, it felt like flying 3rd person. Weird, alienating and disconnected. Situational awareness was completely off, muscle memory helped for AAR, but damn it was stressful. Jumping back in VR cockpit felt so comfy.

So I intend to keep flying VR only from now on, will be checking new generation of HMDs, and if needed upgrading (or building new) PC for that. But as it is now, I'm more than happy with what VR+DCS is at this very moment.

Hope it will be interesting to someone.

If you can afford VR but haven't tried it, you are missing out on am amazing feeling of immersion. But if you believe VR can completely replace a high resolution 2d display, you are blind. Until VR image quality can rival 2d image quality, I want the best possible support for both 2d and VR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I flew ED simulators since 1st Lock On, on screen with Track IR and various joysticks.

Then I switched to VR exclusively about 3 moth ago. I setup myself light "cockpit" with HOTAS Warthog, 3 MFDs, Buddy Fox A10C UFC and small numerical keyboard. Mapped everything to F/A-18C, including some combimations with paddle-switch modifier, in this way I don't need to touch mouse at all to start and control aircraft, and all the physical switches and buttons are in a logical position (at least to me). I overclocked my CPU, and carefully adjusted DCS settings so I have a very smooth framerate and good looking picture using Oculus Rift. I use mouse only for radio menu interaction, and want to replace it with Voice Attack + Vaicom, but need to find time to set everything up correctly.

So after 3 month of VR flying: Case I, Case III carrier landings, AAR day / night, BFM and ACM and a little bit of ground pounding, also occasional flights on A-10C. One day I had to fly with a regular monitor, and I didn't expected how strange it will be, it felt like flying 3rd person. Weird, alienating and disconnected. Situational awareness was completely off, muscle memory helped for AAR, but damn it was stressful. Jumping back in VR cockpit felt so comfy.

So I intend to keep flying VR only from now on, will be checking new generation of HMDs, and if needed upgrading (or building new) PC for that. But as it is now, I'm more than happy with what VR+DCS is at this very moment.

Hope it will be interesting to someone.

Very similar experience going from 3d to 2d here, it feels like you are flying a painting or something.

I use the mouse for the cockpit stuff, but thats a matter of personal preference at this point, but I think the future is going to be glove/hand cockpit interaction and the mouse helps me learn that better than a fixed type setup like you have.

If you can afford VR but haven't tried it, you are missing out on am amazing feeling of immersion. But if you believe VR can completely replace a high resolution 2d display, you are blind. Until VR image quality can rival 2d image quality, I want the best possible support for both 2d and VR.

Totally agreed. I'm not gonna tell some guy how to play the game. I think VR is worth it despite the resolution drawbacks, and currently non-ideal cockpit interface but hopefully those issues will get "improved" this year or next.

TrackIR or VR? why?

If you don't want to spend the money on VR like me, go for the Tobii 4c eye and head tracker.. it is absolutely amazing in game. Forget TrackIR, mine now sits in a box gathering dust.

As for VR, I won't be going that route until they get to 3840x2160 true 4K resolutions. When that happens, I will then consider it depending also if they have finally come down in pricing as well.

How well does Tobii work these days. Reviews in the past haven’t been exactly positive with DCS. I’m interested if I it plays well without having to wear tracking device on my head.

Tried A-10C with the new enemy within campaign 3.0 in VR and my experience is not so great (incredible campaign btw). I feel much more comfortable and proficient with TrackIR and can get things done much easier (operating radio channels—especially the VHF FM panel, CDU input, TGP tracking spotting, etc.). Even checking my flank in formation flight is harder since when glancing to the side without turning my head or twisting my back I just see black bar due to limited FOV looking through the goggles.

Flying from point A to B or doing simple stuffs in VR is fine, but for complex campaign mission that takes 2+ hours to complete the limitation of VR become quite apparent (mainly limited resolution, FOV, overall ease of use as well as comfort).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

... Even checking my flank in formation flight is harder since when glancing to the side without turning my head or twisting my back I just see black bar due to limited FOV looking through the goggles. ...

Use VR, get the G-Seat aswell and safe the money for the gym membership/homegym. :book:

... Flying from point A to B or doing simple stuffs in VR is fine, but for complex campaign mission that takes 2+ hours to complete the limitation of VR become quite apparent (mainly limited resolution, FOV, overall ease of use as well as comfort). ...

Get another 2080 TI with a NVLink bridge, Pimax 8K and enjoy VR. I'm planning on getting a machine similiar to yours with a second 2080 TI or a single Kingpin 2080 TI once it comes out. 8K has 170° horizontal FOV and thus about 45 Pixels per inch. They are also implementing fixed foveated rendering as we speak which only the 2xxx cards can take advantage of as of now (the center of the picture is the sharpest, outer edges the most blurry).

Edit: Your Vive Pro has 26 pixels per inch and probably the number is even lower since I guess the 110° FOV they claim is the diagonal one, not the horizontal as I've used it for the 8K above. At best it's 26 ppi versus atleast 45 ppi in the 8K. The picture of the 8K is about twice as good as your Vive Pros with way more FOV - as long as you have the machine to drive it. If not go for the 5k+. This is miles ahead of the older and other upcoming HMDs seriously. With Pimax the "second generation" is already here.

Edited by Der Hirte
Grammar

Use VR, get the G-Seat aswell and safe the money for the gym membership/homegym. :book:

Get another 2080 TI with a NVLink bridge, Pimax 8K and enjoy VR. I'm planning on getting a machine similiar to yours with a second 2080 TI or a single Kingpin 2080 TI once it comes out. 8K has 170° horizontal FOV and thus about 45 Pixels per inch. They are also implementing fixed foveated rendering as we speak which only the 2xxx cards can take advantage of as of now (the center of the picture is the sharpest, outer edges the most blurriest).

Edit: Your Vive Pro has 26 pixels per inch and probably the number is even lower since I guess the 110° FOV they claim is the diagonal one, not the horizontal as I've used it for the 8K above. At best it's 26 ppi versus atleast 45 ppi in the 8K. The picture of the 8K is about twice as good as your Vive Pros and way more FOV - as long as you have the machine to drive it. If not go for the 5k+. This is miles ahead of the older and other upcoming HMDs seriously. With Pimax the "second generation" is already here.

When did SLI support for DCS in VR begin?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR does not support SLI, this Is not something ED can implement. Dual VGA in VR Is totally unuseful.

Just a consideration: you spend more than 1000 bucks for a 2080ti (2000 bucks if you consider a SLI: the price of two office desktop computers) and then complain about VR prices. That's ridiculous. An Oculus Rift bundle today costs 400 bucks. Just say you don't like VR, for a reason or another, but do not say it's too expensive.

Yup, currently VR cannot support two cards. So getting a second 2080TI would me a massive waste of money, since it wont be doing anything.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

VR does not support SLI, ...

Edit: Source? What are you talking about exactly?

this Is not something ED can implement.
Edit: Yes, if it's nothing ED can implement, why shouldn't it work by now? As far as I see you only need to have the proper hardware for it, not a normal 370, 390 chipset or similiar board and you need to setup the Nvidia driver settings properly. Did you set this up and test it yourself or do you just repeat what others told you?
Just a consideration: you spend more than 1000 bucks for a 2080ti (2000 bucks if you consider a SLI: the price of two office desktop computers) and then complain about VR prices. That's ridiculous. An Oculus Rift bundle today costs 400 bucks. Just say you don't like VR, for a reason or another, but do not say it's too expensive.
Did someone do this and if yes where?
Edited by Der Hirte