TrackIR or VR? why?

Just to clarify, you don't need an ultra-spec machine to run VR. Take a look at what I have. Its not perfect by any means, but I do run VR for DCS exclusively.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Just to clarify, you don't need an ultra-spec machine to run VR. Take a look at what I have. Its not perfect by any means, but I do run VR for DCS exclusively.

Yes but the early adopters are willing to put up with really sub par performance that mainstream players would not. DCS players accept half the frame rate Oculus themselves considered a minimum. I wouldn’t accept 45 FPS on a monitor let alone in VR

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes but the early adopters are willing to put up with really sub par performance that mainstream players would not. DCS players accept half the frame rate Oculus themselves considered a minimum. I wouldn’t accept 45 FPS on a monitor let alone in VR

45 fps on a monitor and 45 fps in VR with reprojected frames are completely different sensations.

45fps even on a g-sync monitor can be a bit choppy.

45fps in VR with reprojection feels as smooth as 90fps with slightly distorted images and a bit of aliasing. At times aircraft fly by and it looks like their wings are flapping like a bird on crack. Or in prop planes the gunsight will sometimes look a bit distorted, but performs like butter.

In another sim i fly when I hit 90 fps the image clears up as motion reprojection turns off, but the gameplay itself, as far as input lag and performance still feels the same.

Sitting in the A-10C in VR you get to see how big and roomy that cockpit actually is. Seat height adjustment required lol. Nothing quite like looking to the right and left and seeing life sized wings, and the sensation of depth perception from the 3d rendering. Leaning forward and looking over the nose is easier than with TIR5, in ww2 aircraft my accuracy with guns and cannons was immediately improved by being able to guage distance better, as well as I had an easier time looking over the nose to see where my tracers were. All the power to people still holding out.. but at least for me, since putting on the headset, it's the only way to "fly". It is more difficult to check my six, as I'm lacking peripheral vision and I'm in a fixed racing seat. But this has just made me more grateful to have wingmen to fly with lol. I don't fly mp solo anymore.

In reply to posts about aircraft spotting - back when I was using my 980Ti and had to stick with 1.0 PD and low settings in my odyssey.. it was stupidly easier to spot blurred objects in the sky even 30-40NM away than it ever was on a monitor.

Now that I'm on a better gpu running a higher pixel density and high texture settings it's a bit more difficult to spot them.

I do wish there was a solution for that made visibility similar regardless of resolution, as I enjoy the visual clarity from higher resolutions in the headset, but miss the ease of spotting targets at 1.0 PD.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

If you've ever flown DCS in VR, you would not be asking this question. So, to answer your question, VR. When in VR, you are no longer in a room looking at a monitor. You are in DCS World.

Amen !!:thumbup:

Alienware Aurora R8 I7 9700K WC, GeForce 1080 Ti 11Gig, Occulus Rift

45 fps on a monitor and 45 fps in VR with reprojected frames are completely different sensations.

45fps even on a g-sync monitor can be a bit choppy.

45fps in VR with reprojection feels as smooth as 90fps with slightly distorted images and a bit of aliasing. At times aircraft fly by and it looks like their wings are flapping like a bird on crack. Or in prop planes the gunsight will sometimes look a bit distorted, but performs like butter.

In another sim i fly when I hit 90 fps the image clears up as motion reprojection turns off, but the gameplay itself, as far as input lag and performance still feels the same.

Sitting in the A-10C in VR you get to see how big and roomy that cockpit actually is. Seat height adjustment required lol. Nothing quite like looking to the right and left and seeing life sized wings, and the sensation of depth perception from the 3d rendering. Leaning forward and looking over the nose is easier than with TIR5, in ww2 aircraft my accuracy with guns and cannons was immediately improved by being able to guage distance better, as well as I had an easier time looking over the nose to see where my tracers were. All the power to people still holding out.. but at least for me, since putting on the headset, it's the only way to "fly". It is more difficult to check my six, as I'm lacking peripheral vision and I'm in a fixed racing seat. But this has just made me more grateful to have wingmen to fly with lol. I don't fly mp solo anymore.

In reply to posts about aircraft spotting - back when I was using my 980Ti and had to stick with 1.0 PD and low settings in my odyssey.. it was stupidly easier to spot blurred objects in the sky even 30-40NM away than it ever was on a monitor.

Now that I'm on a better gpu running a higher pixel density and high texture settings it's a bit more difficult to spot them.

I do wish there was a solution for that made visibility similar regardless of resolution, as I enjoy the visual clarity from higher resolutions in the headset, but miss the ease of spotting targets at 1.0 PD.

Yup, entirely this. On a flat screen If I started to get into the low 50's frame rate wise, I was not happy. In VR, 45fps is what I get at best with my low end system, and I'm not really bothered until it dips under 30. So the framerate thing is not comparable between flat screen and VR, I don't know why on a technical level but its just not... I'm not gonna restate the immersion stuff.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yes, I know VR employs what is basically a very sophisticated frame doubling. But it introduces all sorts of artifacts apparently. Again, something early adopters will tolerate that more mainstream buyers won’t. These early VR devices are just that. Early. They’re the Motorola brick phones of their tech.

What’s missing from these VR discussions is any straight forward critique of the devices. All the accounts from enthusiastic adopters gloss over the issues. The overall adoption of the tech is not as rosy as it appears here.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yes, I know VR employs what is basically a very sophisticated frame doubling. But it introduces all sorts of artifacts apparently. Again, something early adopters will tolerate that more mainstream buyers won’t. These early VR devices are just that. Early. They’re the Motorola brick phones of their tech.

What’s missing from these VR discussions is any straight forward critique of the devices. All the accounts from enthusiastic adopters gloss over the issues. The overall adoption of the tech is not as rosy as it appears here.

I think most of us VR enthusiasts are very upfront about the experience including the shortcomings. Can't say I see any glossing over being done at least by most.

Back when I got my Rift in Jan 2017 I had read a lot of user feedback, and it was the shortcomings I read that kept me from taking the plunge when it first came out.

Finally I was enticed by the immersion aspect and though I need to try this, so I then ordered a new Rift.

So very glad I did. Even with the shortcomings I found it absolutely incredible and have not looked back since. I went from gaming maybe a day or two a week to almost daily.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think most of us VR enthusiasts are very upfront about the experience including the shortcomings. Can't say I see any glossing over being done at least by most.

Back when I got my Rift in Jan 2017 I had read a lot of user feedback, and it was the shortcomings I read that kept me from taking the plunge when it first came out.

Finally I was enticed by the immersion aspect and though I need to try this, so I then ordered a new Rift.

So very glad I did. Even with the shortcomings I found it absolutely incredible and have not looked back since. I went from gaming maybe a day or two a week to almost daily.

^^ I held out for a higher resolution headset because of talk of visiblity..

Critique of my odyssey? I want external sensors/camera so the controller tracking is on par with the rift and the vive. Not important for dcs Sweet spot is small but.. not hard to negotiate.. probably the heaviest headset out there. At times not the most comfortable thing in the world..other times it doesnt bother me at all.

Image can't be as crisp and clear as a monitor, and it's harder to identify things.. and daggumit i need more peripheral vision for checking 6 and I don't have the owl's neck that I did with TrackIR.

In my opinion VR games out there aren't living up to the potential of the market, but for a seated simming experience? Flight and racing sims I think are a perfect market for VR.

For me personally, and just about anybody I know who has adopted a VR headset for simming, the pros seem to outweigh the cons. I have a friend who claimed not to have the budget for a new pc. Then he found the lenovo explorer at what is a low price in his region of the world. Not long after he buys himself an 8600k and a used 1080Ti, and when he isn't on his laptop out of town if he's simming he's in his lenovo.

I still play games that have no VR support.. but when I put on the headset the first time it was pretty much mind blown.. when I hopped into my first virtual cockpit it was like mind double blown. Words don't do it justice. My friends in VR told me for like a year how awesome it was and i'm like "Nah nah..resolution nah".. then i put one on and im like "Ok i get it now guys".

Even Wags has as VR headset at this point and ED sounds committed to improving the VR experience. I've seen steam threads where WMR devs have been in contact with ED to make things work, mentions of ED talking with someone making "VR gloves" and being in touch with Pimax.

I'm not saying it's for everybody. But gloss over the issues? I think i've covered every "issue" i've had in this thread and others as well personally. Count me in as someone who was skeptical, until I put on the headset and now it's the only way I fly.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Before I got my Rift, I had no concept of what VR actually meant. I always thought of it as just having a screen right next to your face, and having head tracking. The combination of both was appealing to me, so I pre-ordered a Rift CV1 when they were first made available for pre-order. 6 months later when I finally got it, I was expecting to simply be seeing the same 2D cockpit in the HMD, and to have head tracking. What I was greeted with was a cockpit that completely engulfed me. I no longer felt like I was watching a movie about being in a plane, but that I was actually in a plane. Sure, being able to see things was reduced, really badly at first. But then I set the PD in OTT, which made things a lot better at closer distances. Further distances were still difficult, but the more I flew in VR, the more things started to stand out to me at those further distances. TIR has plenty of shortcomings too, such as the owl neck that headwarp mentioned. For me, part of the experience is having to strain, twist, and contort my body to keep my eyes on something such as a ground target or a missile coming at me. It just feels more real. Flying competitively really has no appeal for me. I'd rather be interacting with the jet, using all of the procedures in the -1, and interacting with the virtual world around me in a more realistic way. I'm also really thrilled that the Rift doesn't get freaked out by different lighting conditions like the TIR does. One thing I've had a little bit of an issue with since the LOMAC days was being able to see individual vehicles at unrealistically long distances and unrealistically high altitudes. It all seemed a little far-fetched, considering the great lengths that tankers go to to try to conceal their positions, and just the absence of dust, haze, and/or smoke in the air in the sim environment. Unfortunately, VR took that a little too far in the negative direction, but I deal with it. The good thing about us "early adopters" is that the VR HMD manufacturers know that its a worthwhile market to invest in when people are buying. Besides, its not just about flight simulation for me. Watching a 3D movie with a VR headset RAWKS!

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The good thing about us "early adopters" is that the VR HMD manufacturers know that its a worthwhile market to invest in when people are buying.

Except that the unfortunate fact is people are not buying.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/proof-vr-sales-numbers-sinking/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/05/28/4-reasons-sonys-playstation-vr-failed-to-move-the.aspx

As it relates to this forum, who gives a crap about Oculus Go, PS4 VR? Vive is the only thing that's relevant except that it's the most overly priced old tech in the VR world. I'd like to have seen Rift, Odyssey+ numbers. And the $4M kickstarter for Pimax is another reference point.

But this is why I disagreed with you that VR will be in the household. It never will be.

It's a niche dream come true for niche sim players. It's not meant for gamers. It's not meant for causal players. It's not meant for competitive "must win at all cost with bionic eyes & TrackIR necks" online players. So it'll never be a consumer success. It's meant for people who enjoy simulation and have the wherewithal to invest in the tech.

Hell, Nintendo's Pokemon Go (augment reality) probably outsold every HMD made to date.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You need to get on VR forums more. Everyone bitches about the drawbacks and wants gen 2 devices today. The issue is VR is hard. Like really hard, thats why occulus took 2 developer versions before they made their first consumer set. And that had its drawbacks. Then everyone basically copied and improved on their tech and we are at gen 1.5 on account of it. A big part of the drawbacks is price point. You can get awesome VR today, you are just gonna pay a shitload of money for it.

It's a niche dream come true for niche sim players. It's not meant for gamers. It's not meant for causal players. It's not meant for competitive "must win at all cost with bionic eyes & TrackIR necks" online players. So it'll never be a consumer success. It's meant for people who enjoy simulation and have the wherewithal to invest in the tech.

A niche isn’t enough incentive for manufacturers to make hardware or for developers to tailor their games for it. If it’s so limited, it will end up going the way of Kinect and 3D TV

Sadly the worst part about trying VR would be actually liking it, and then to see it flop. There just isn’t any good news to be read about it’s adoption that would encourage me to try it for gaming.

Edited by SharpeXB

Steams VR numbers are climbing every month, more people are playing more VR games.

That being said, most of stuff for occulus go and other lite headsets is stupid shit. Llus thier res and processimg power sucks. Plus there is the divide between sit down n sim VR like dcs, and run around VR which has the larger market share.

Steams VR numbers are climbing every month, more people are playing more VR games.

That being said, most of stuff for occulus go and other lite headsets is stupid shit.

They just aren’t selling. Only .9% of people on Steam have a VR headset. Yeah I guess there’s only room to “climb” from an ownership level like that.

Your second sentence explains why. Among the top selling VR games on Steam is Office Simulator. That’s hardly encouragement to buy a $500 headset.

Microsoft sold 35 million Kinnects and that was still a flop.

Edited by SharpeXB

The Oculus Go, and others that are targeting the masses, are a huge mistake in marketing strategy. As evidenced in this thread, VR isn't for everyone, and if the technology has any hope of surviving, they need to get back to their roots in the enthusiast market. If its doomed, then I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this turned into a discussion about marketing strategy, but there's my two cents. Don't like it...don't use it. The rest of us will be just fine. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

The Oculus Go, and others that are targeting the masses, are a huge mistake in marketing strategy. As evidenced in this thread, VR isn't for everyone, and if the technology has any hope of surviving, they need to get back to their roots in the enthusiast market. If its doomed, then I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this turned into a discussion about marketing strategy, but there's my two cents. Don't like it...don't use it. The rest of us will be just fine. :D

:thumbup:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sometime in the middle of 2017 most if not all AAA game publishers decided that current gen VR is a no go. Almost all AAA VR development has been stopped. What you see out there now is indies, hardware manufacturers investments (Oculus/Sony) very often connected to a specific R&D needs and "labour of love" - someone in a studio somewhere really likes VR and implements a VR mode in a game after hours.

"High end" gaming VR is a failure, I strongly doubt we will see 2nd gen headsets until another "resurrection"" in 10 years or so. Mobile/standalone VR has some chances due to movies/porn and it may lead to something useable (eg. not a blurry mess) in DCS when mobile tech improves.

Yes, it's great for simulation, therefore there are professional solutions being worked on out there, but they will be outside of price range of regular customer, even if they are compatible with games like DCS.

There is a chance that some boutique company will make something better than current gen (no, not Pimax). Look at the situation with high-end sticks/throttles - this is the same thing here, except the investment and r&d needed is much higher.

Bottom line - there won't be anything better than current 1(.5) gen available anytime soon. Check back in 10 years.

p.s. AR on the other hand...

Edited by mdee

About 9 of us from a group of guys I fly with last night got together. Four of those people weren't wearing some type of VR headset.

But let's also look at another topic of this thread.. TrackIR. Outside of Arma3, this device has mostly been utilized in racing sims, flight sims, and space sims... you know the same things making the best use of VR headsets.. but it's still a topic in this thread, not to mention the amount of modded PS Eye camera's out there, as well as alternatives like ED Tracker. AAA Game devs don't support TrackIR either.

How big of a percentage of steam users do you think use TrackIR? And does that really reflect the entire population of trackIR users when most of that use is likely for flight sims that have a market outside of steam? How many steam users in total play hardcore flight sims like DCS World?

Answer to the OP - if you're not prone to motion sickness and can afford the hardware for a VR flight experience.. you'll probably love it like almost every one of us at some point loved TrackIR before hand, despite any drawbacks. Just from my personal experience, like trackIR, it becomes a must have when it comes to simming once you've seen how it works with most people who seem to try it, and get beyond the initial setup. TrackIR is suddenly simming from a hotel room on a laptop with an xbox controller during the evening hours of a business trip because it's "Packing light."

So frankly.. the argument I'm seeing against VR can also be said for TrackIR.. and a brand new TrackIR 5 unit still costs $150+ USD, where a lenovo explorer WMR headset without controllers can be had new for $99 usd.

Either is better than neither. VR puts you in the cockpit. If you aren't sure, buy from a retailer with an excellent return policy. At that pricepoint, slightly more than the full price of the Hornet module, it's almost silly not to at least try it. Just keep in mind it won't have Odyssey, Vive Pro or Pimax resolution.

The soothesaying is kind of laughable. DCS, as well as other flight sims and racing sims are committed to VR. I can't speak for occulus or valve but members of the WMR development team can be seen addressing the steam forums when problems are encountered showing a desire to improve upon what they've started.

This debate happens with pretty much every piece of technology that gets released like people are offended at the thought of others spending money. If you got the dough to blow have fun, if you end up liking it you did your part in its continued survival. Otherwise send it back. Hardware and software used drive innovation in this market before everything became about big money.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

So frankly.. the argument I'm seeing against VR can also be said for TrackIR..

Well not really. TrackIR and VR aren’t really the same thing at all. And TrackIR is a mature technology, it’s not in some embryonic stage of development. It’s also much less work on the game design side to incorporate. VR really would require the game to be completely designed around it in order to function perfectly. TrackIR just moves your view in a game that’s already in 2D. The fact that VR is in 3D means a huge performance hit that head tracking doesn’t inflict. And yes the cost is substantially less both in the device and the PC needed to run it.

Also a TrackIR is very simple to use. Plug and play. VR requires a staggering amount of PC tuning and fixing and tweaking to the point where you’ll spend more time doing that than gaming. Just read the virtual reality threads. Have you ever seen anything like that for any other gaming peripheral? Is there a whole forum section devoted to TrackIR problems? No. The amount of work VR seems to require will keep me away from it. I prefer to spend my gaming time actually gaming.

Edited by SharpeXB

Well not really. TrackIR and VR aren’t really the same thing at all. And TrackIR is a mature technology, it’s not in some embryonic stage of development. It’s also much less work on the game design side to incorporate. VR really would require the game to be completely designed around it in order to function perfectly. TrackIR just moves your view in a game that’s already in 2D. The fact that VR is in 3D means a huge performance hit that head tracking doesn’t inflict. And yes the cost is substantially less both in the device and the PC needed to run it.

Also a TrackIR is very simple to use. Plug and play. VR requires a staggering amount of PC tuning and fixing and tweaking to the point where you’ll spend more time doing that than gaming. Just read the virtual reality threads. Have you ever seen anything like that for any other gaming peripheral? Is there a whole forum section devoted to TrackIR problems? No. The amount of work VR seems to require will keep me away from it. I prefer to spend my gaming time actually gaming.

"Between 2002 and 2005, five different TrackIR camera models were released with steadily improving specifications." <- wiki quote

TrackIR has had 17 years to mature. How many steam users are using trackIR and how many game devs do you see implementing it in the future? How many games have you played that utilize it since 2002.

TrackIR is also not without it's faults.. adjusting curves which can be thrown off if you change the position of the camera, many people report having to lock to 60fps to eliminate stutters in DCS due to it. In another sim it stutters when mixed with a FFB joystick. Troubles I've not encountered in VR.

Beyond the initial setup of VR, after finding the right supersampling/pixel density setting as well as in game settings that you're generally going to set with a monitor anyway, and in WMR maybe editing 4 backslashes out of a .cfg file, it's really just a matter of putting the headset on and going. Shoot let's talk about when 16:9 first emerged and how many .exe files I had to hex edit to support the resolution, and how many people who didn't want to go out and by a new monitor were actually trying to talk devs out of supporting said resolution. Now something I deal with at 3440x1440 with some devs, although not often because PC devs develop PC titles that support various methods of display and input.

Peoples budgets are also different, and some folks might already have a rig capable of utilizing VR. Check out SVSMokey's non K i5 6500 @3.2ghz and a 1070, loving his rift. Tons of pancake users out there already with a 1080Ti or better on an overclocked cpu. I was playing dcs in VR on this rig with a 980Ti, albeit comprising with low textures and the native headset resolution.

Anyway..what keeps you away is up to you and no foul or judgement to you for that. but there's no aspect of operating windows that wasn't somehow knowledge acquired over time.. personally having acquired that knowledge, initial setup from a fresh install of windows and dcs, takes about 5-10 minutes for me to be flying in VR. That's less time than I spend binding controls. It took a little tuning the first time around to get there, but, I can't think of a game I haven't had to adjust settings for. Having done that once, now i simply click the openbeta shortcut and presto, I'm in VR ready to connect to MP and start flying.

Hardware needs to be upgraded from time to time. Anyone building or upgrading a PC within the last year or 3 that isn't buying the absolute bottom of the barrel hardware could probably fly a few sorties in a VR environment. Anybody upgrading in the future should be more than capable. This has been PC gaming throughout the entirety of my lifetime. It costs $$$ and has a shelf life. Bottom of the barrel hardware is kind of rare on these forums, compared to those of us who chase high-end hardware (even monitor users) , or even mid-range users. Although some of us get it when people are trying to do their best with a budget.

It's neither for me or you to decide who buys what. But I tend to feel that if you can learn how to properly maintain and use a PC you can pretty quickly learn how to setup VR.

Anyway.. I'm sticking with my final answer - If you have the money to blow, have fun. If you don't like it send it back. It will let you know what you want better than any person on a forum could describe for you. I imagine a VR headset would be easier to find from a retailer with a full return policy than a TIR unit. In the US I heart Best Buy for this convenience.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Sorry that is just not accurate.

While VR enthusiasts may enjoy tweaking and tuning to get the best for what they want to see from their rig and VR device, it really is plug and play. At least the mainstream devices like Rift and Vive.

I am quite sure many monitor users continue to do the same as well to eek the best performance they can get on their monitor. Just take a look at all the threads started regarding performance and best settings for graphics cards and DCS in the forums !! That does not mean that the game or PC or Track IR device means one will spend a staggering amount of time tuning, fixing, and tweaking than gaming!

I have been using my Rift for over 2 years and it was very simple to setup and run, no muss no fuss for me, and still is to this day. In fact since getting my Rift, my gaming time has increased tenfold.

Let's not go spreading disinformation. Both have plusses and minuses and both can be very enjoyable by those who choose their method of gameplay.

Don B

Both have plusses and minuses and both can be very enjoyable by those who choose their method of gameplay.

:thumbup:

Spoiler

"Between 2002 and 2005, five different TrackIR camera models were released with steadily improving specifications." <- wiki quote

TrackIR has had 17 years to mature. How many steam users are using trackIR and how many game devs do you see implementing it in the future? How many games have you played that utilize it since 2002.

TrackIR is also not without it's faults.. adjusting curves which can be thrown off if you change the position of the camera, many people report having to lock to 60fps to eliminate stutters in DCS due to it. In another sim it stutters when mixed with a FFB joystick. Troubles I've not encountered in VR.

Beyond the initial setup of VR, after finding the right supersampling/pixel density setting as well as in game settings that you're generally going to set with a monitor anyway, and in WMR maybe editing 4 backslashes out of a .cfg file, it's really just a matter of putting the headset on and going. Shoot let's talk about when 16:9 first emerged and how many .exe files I had to hex edit to support the resolution, and how many people who didn't want to go out and by a new monitor were actually trying to talk devs out of supporting said resolution. Now something I deal with at 3440x1440 with some devs, although not often because PC devs develop PC titles that support various methods of display and input.

Peoples budgets are also different, and some folks might already have a rig capable of utilizing VR. Check out SVSMokey's non K i5 6500 @3.2ghz and a 1070, loving his rift. Tons of pancake users out there already with a 1080Ti or better on an overclocked cpu. I was playing dcs in VR on this rig with a 980Ti, albeit comprising with low textures and the native headset resolution.

Anyway..what keeps you away is up to you and no foul or judgement to you for that. but there's no aspect of operating windows that wasn't somehow knowledge acquired over time.. personally having acquired that knowledge, initial setup from a fresh install of windows and dcs, takes about 5-10 minutes for me to be flying in VR. That's less time than I spend binding controls. It took a little tuning the first time around to get there, but, I can't think of a game I haven't had to adjust settings for. Having done that once, now i simply click the openbeta shortcut and presto, I'm in VR ready to connect to MP and start flying.

Hardware needs to be upgraded from time to time. Anyone building or upgrading a PC within the last year or 3 that isn't buying the absolute bottom of the barrel hardware could probably fly a few sorties in a VR environment. Anybody upgrading in the future should be more than capable. This has been PC gaming throughout the entirety of my lifetime. It costs $$$ and has a shelf life. Bottom of the barrel hardware is kind of rare on these forums, compared to those of us who chase high-end hardware (even monitor users) , or even mid-range users. Although some of us get it when people are trying to do their best with a budget.

It's neither for me or you to decide who buys what. But I tend to feel that if you can learn how to properly maintain and use a PC you can pretty quickly learn how to setup VR.

Anyway.. I'm sticking with my final answer - If you have the money to blow, have fun. If you don't like it send it back. It will let you know what you want better than any person on a forum could describe for you. I imagine a VR headset would be easier to find from a retailer with a full return policy than a TIR unit. In the US I heart Best Buy for this convenience.

Ok giant text wall about “problems” whatever... :music_whistling: