TrackIR or VR? why?

Better FOV would be excellent! Until that day comes, I'll just pretend I'm an A-10 pilot who suddenly got nostalgic and decided to put on an old fashioned Snoopy helmet and goggles. :pilotfly:

Yep.. it's the goggles fault :pilotfly:

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Track IR is the way to go. VR required massive hardware and even then the resolution is not enjoyable.

I use 4K with track IR and find DCS absolutely beautiful.

Massive hardware is not required. My PC is 3 years old and my card is a 980ti. I’m over the moon with the performance and tweaking only took a few hours initially with a bit more now and then as new builds of DCS and graphics drivers come out.

Of course, as proved by the real F-18 who compared VR to TiR, the later is next to hopeless when it comes to flying in formation.

I think a lot of the VR negativity comes from people with 4K monitor buyer’s remorse.

Track IR is the way to go. VR required massive hardware and even then the resolution is not enjoyable.

I use 4K with track IR and find DCS absolutely beautiful.

TIR was the way to go... several years ago, not anymore. It´s a game changer, like TIR was back in the day. TIR is a mature technology, VR is in its babysteps. We all have been flying CRT monitors, TFT monitors and finally adding TIR for many years; it´s unfair to decline VR after trying 10 minutes or even 15 days with some shops returning policy.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I think a lot of the VR negativity comes from people with 4K monitor buyer’s remorse.

Oh, a point you got there, sir.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I answer both. But VR exclusive in 5-10 years. I go back and forth. VR has the immersion hands down. TIR is the practical choice and also gives the best visuals. Also not as intense if you are a bit tired and flying a session after work with a cold beer on your desk. Biggest items to adress for VR is performance, visual quality and ergonomics.

:: Donning flame retardant suit::

:: Positioning fire extinguisher::

:: Chiming in::

I have both and my hardware can run both very smoothly. When I started flying I was VR only and it is still a fantastic experience that I enjoy immensely when I am heloing or just toodling around. However the resolution difference and the ability to use Cougars instead of trying to mouse my way through tiny unreadable MFD buttons is great.

I will occasionally throw the Rift on but I find myself on the 55" "monitor" with the exported MFDs and Track IR every bit as engaged.

I'm certain I will get flamed for my opinion, and it's just that, my opinion and should be taken as such, but I have no issues with the Trackir setup I am using. I find it less "Immersive" but much easier to use, fly and fight with. For me, trying to do all of the MFD work needed in an A-10 was driving my wonkers in the VR.

So for me, I VR in the Helos and WWII crates, and Tackir and Cougars in the fixed wing birds.

Fire away.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have both and my hardware can run both very smoothly. When I started flying I was VR only and it is still a fantastic experience that I enjoy immensely when I am heloing or just toodling around. However the resolution difference and the ability to use Cougars instead of trying to mouse my way through tiny unreadable MFD buttons is great.

I will occasionally throw the Rift on but I find myself on the 55" "monitor" with the exported MFDs and Track IR every bit as engaged.

I'm certain I will get flamed for my opinion, and it's just that, my opinion and should be taken as such, but I have no issues with the Trackir setup I am using. I find it less "Immersive" but much easier to use, fly and fight with. For me, trying to do all of the MFD work needed in an A-10 was driving my wonkers in the VR.

So for me, I VR in the Helos and WWII crates, and Tackir and Cougars in the fixed wing birds.

Fire away.

I put some silicone adhesive pad over the center buttons of each row of the TM Cougar MFDs. It works great when in VR to feel the buttons and orientate yourself. Also Im using a joystick desk mount with the MFDs attached by its side, so they are positioned similar to the real thing.

Obviously it takes some muscle memory. When I added a third MFD, I slighty changed the position of the other two, and took me a short while to get used to that.

My point is Cougars are doable and enjoyable on VR, give them a try ;)

Well, as imperfect as VR is still (for now, it will be better with time) I would definitely try it...but I cant. As a vestibular neuritis survivor I would have motion sickness for sure.

Also, I cant stand the heavy thing on my face and sweating during summer days. Also, I would need to invest in better hardware to run sims with VR decently. Nah, I will stick with head tracking.

Sigh, someone else who hasn't setup VR zoom. I've not encountered one single problem in VR was wasn't overcome with extreme ease.

If you are coming from a 1080p 24-28 inch monitor, and moving straight to VR, then VR is going to be practically life changing. But the same can be said when moving to a 34 inch ultrawide or 42 inch 4K. That experience is as immersive, with the exception of objects in the immediate vicinity like the cockpit, trees, or buildings. I have tried switching to my Rift multiple times, usually after reading threads like this. But I keep feeling underwhelmed by it - it's not bad, even the resolution isn't a deal breaker, it's just not as enjoyable as my monitor - I can sit for hours, I can see my home cockpit switches, the extra screen width gives me great situational awareness, and it looks really nice. In fact, aside from it not being a true 3D environment, I find canyon flying to be as thrilling on a big monitor as in VR. One thing I simply can't recapture on a monitor is the sense of scale - I love looking out over the wing of a Hornet and *feeling* how big the plane is, very cool. But yeah, after ten minutes, I find myself wanting my monitor. I will say this though, VR is incredible, but I feel it really lends itself to different formats, like some of the experiences designed specifically for VR. I'm sure the tech will get more and more impressive for flight sims, as the FOV and resolution increases, and ergonomics become better integrated.

Edited by hughlb

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I put some silicone adhesive pad over the center buttons of each row of the TM Cougar MFDs. It works great when in VR to feel the buttons and orientate yourself. Also Im using a joystick desk mount with the MFDs attached by its side, so they are positioned similar to the real thing.

Obviously it takes some muscle memory. When I added a third MFD, I slighty changed the position of the other two, and took me a short while to get used to that.

My point is Cougars are doable and enjoyable on VR, give them a try ;)

I think I'd be able to use mine in VR once I get everything adjusted so its physical location matches where my eyes are telling me it should be. Until then, I'll try that idea. Sure would beat having to take my hands off the stick and click the mouse. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I think I'd be able to use mine in VR once I get everything adjusted so its physical location matches where my eyes are telling me it should be. Until then, I'll try that idea. Sure would beat having to take my hands off the stick and click the mouse. :D

You could always use the head tracking mouse and voiceattack.

You could always use the head tracking mouse and voiceattack.

This is what I do, works quite well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For me, I prefer TrackIR. The limitation VR has is that it does not really enable you to have a working physical cockpit with buttons/switches all over the place. I run a simpit where I have a functioning/customized touchscreen UFC. Having VR would not enable to me use this. I never have to touch a mouse/keyboard for any functions. VR is great if you keep things relatively simple. That is, only mapping things to your HOTAS and maybe a couple of MFD button panels. But you would have to break immersion by reaching for a mouse, doing auto starts and what not. Everything has pros/cons.

I used VR and I was not impressed. I mean, I was impressed with the theory and the potential future of it, but in my mind, having a SimPit+TrackIR is far better than VR. That's my opinion though.

Edited by Guppy

For me, I prefer TrackIR. The limitation VR has is that it does not really enable you to have a working physical cockpit with buttons/switches all over the place. I run a simpit where I have a functioning/customized touchscreen UFC. Having VR would not enable to me use this. I never have to touch a mouse/keyboard for any functions. VR is great if you keep things relatively simple. That is, only mapping things to your HOTAS and maybe a couple of MFD button panels. But you would have to break immersion by reaching for a mouse, doing auto starts and what not. Everything has pros/cons.

I used VR and I was not impressed. I mean, I was impressed with the theory and the potential future of it, but in my mind, having a SimPit+TrackIR is far better than VR. That's my opinion though.

Yet another fallacy. Also, you talk about immersion but sit in front of a monitor/drone station experience.

Simpit builder's remorse?

I never used TiR with a monitor since I tried VR. The scale, depth perception, situational awareness, it's just a no-brainer in my opinion.

Also, I was really annoyed by the fact TiR is twitchy as hell, often not doing what I wanted it to do, suddenly flipping the view when looking a certain way, etc.

No, never going back. I'm just going to keep upgrading for VR only. :)

Yet another fallacy. Also, you talk about immersion but sit in front of a monitor/drone station experience.

Simpit builder's remorse?

Yikes man, no need to be hostile and offended. I’m super glad you’re happy with your VR purchase, but that does not mean everyone would be.

Like I said, everything has pros/cons. I’m not saying my setup is the best for everyone. I said my setup is best for me. The question the OP asked was our experience - I gave my experience.

It is not a fallacy that VR has limitations and one of those limitations is having a full blown simpit with dozens of buttons and switches. Unless, maybe if you went with a 1:1 replica of a jet which your VR “view” matches up to a pit. But that comes with its own limitations, too. If it worked I’d be buying VR and using it along with my simpit. Or I would just outright choose VR over my simpit.

You’ve got to settle down and realize your opinion is not the only right one no matter how offensive and abrasive you want to be. Your post is disappointing.

Yikes man, no need to be hostile and offended. I’m super glad you’re happy with your VR purchase, but that does not mean everyone would be.

Don't worry, he's like that every time somebody mentions any VR drawbacks.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

My monitor Is a 24" full HD 144 hz + g-sync.

Very good to play FPS, but for simulators I prefer VR.

Maybe with a 55" 4k monitor you suffer more the loss in resolution of VR.

But this Is the reason why I do not want to nove to a higher monitor resolution until 2nd gen VR Is out.

To choose between my monitor and the Oculus Rift for playing dcs Is a no brainer: Oculus Rift All the time.

Maybe you should consider what monitor you have before buying.

If you have built a home cockpit full of real instruments and MFDs, maybe this could Be another reason not to choose VR.

I Just have my hotas + pedals and with only an hmd I have the real cockpit around my body. A lot cheaper than Building a home replica.

Another reason to think about before buying.

Edited by nessuno0505

Lol, both VR and Track IR has their pros and cons, same as there will always be folks that prefer one over the other. It really is not a VR versus TIR thing, it is a VR versus 2d thing.

I had Track IR 3, 4, and 5. Absolutely loved it - until I got my Rift over 2 years ago.

Me personally I can not go back to monitor and TIR. Have not played a game in 2d since.

Different strokes ya know...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I dream of having a simpit-and VR . With a good hand-finger tracking solution , imagine using the pilot-avatar's hand position to guide you as you reach for a simpit switch !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I dream of having a simpit-and VR . With a good hand-finger tracking solution , imagine using the pilot-avatar's hand position to guide you as you reach for a simpit switch !

I feel sure that will be coming at some point.

Don B

I feel sure that will be coming at some point.

I wonder if it isn't possible now . That new tracking glove sounds pretty promising .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As you can track the oculus touch (or vive wands) in the 3d space, maybe you could track phisical hotas or mfds or other hardware stuff, creating a VR simpit. Add a couple of VR gloves, and the game is done. The technology to do so is already existent, maybe it's not worth it to invest in such things, as you spend money to produce and then who buys? You and me, maybe. But one day, when such things will be cheaper, who knows? I'm 42 this year, I hope to virtually fly this way before my death...

If you think that when I was a kid I played microsoft flight simulator with a 386 in b&w on a crt tv screen and now I fly a 90% simulated a-10c in virtual reality, all can become true...

Edited by nessuno0505