Suggestions for Tutorial: Christen Eagle II Cold Start Lesson

Yurgon

I've got a great first impression of this new toy, hats off to M3! :thumbup:

But I ran across a few issues with the startup tutorial and thought I'd let you know.

The biggest item, but I will repeat that below whenever it applies, is texts disappearing with no player input. I suggest to leave these on and have the player push spacebar after every item so that the player can always decide when to proceed. In each case, a text message and the VO should be added: "Press the SPACEBAR to continue".

• The only player controllable CE2 is set to skill "Client", and the user needs to select the single available client slot before the training starts. Suggest to set to skill "Player" so the player will spawn in Cockpit immediately.
  • The pilot body blocks the view on several key systems. Suggest to inform the player how to switch it off as a second item after talking about the sound sliders: "If you have the pilot body on, it will block your view on some of the aircraft's systems. You can press Right Shift + P to hide and show the pilot body at any time. Press SPACEBAR to continue."
  • Instruction: "Rotate the RADIO VOLUME knob counter-clockwise to turn on the radio". This should be changed to "clockwise" instead of "counter-clockwise". Affects both VO and text.
  • Information: "You can manually adjust the RADIO FREQUENCY...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Information: "Check the PROPELLER CONTROL lever...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Information: "Check the PROPELLER CONTROL lever...": Propeller control currently bugged with mouse input, needs to be bound to key. Bug is reported and a fix incoming; I'll leave this here in case someone else has this problem before the fix.
  • The cockpit lever "Fuel valve" is labeled "Fule valve"
  • Information: "Ensure the MIXTURE lever is set to FULL RICH...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Same as above: doesn't work well with mouse input.
  • Instruction: "Move the CANOPY LOCK lever forward. Verify the canopy is secured by checking the status placard at the back of the front seat." Suggest to add orange indicator around status placard.
  • Information: "You are now ready to attempt an engine start. The Eagle II does not come...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Information: "Check the OIL PRESSURE gauge and verify...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Information: "The fuel indicator display should be flashing...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.
  • Information: "Set LIGHTS as desired using...": Suggest to hold until spacebar.

I'm not able to move the mixture lever to RICH in the cold start, it seems the mouse control is bugged and needs axis control.

Yup, somewhere in that wall of text there's a reference to it.

I did find this mentioned on the forum, though, and it has been acknowledged by M3.

Actually it seems to be fixed in dev already.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=230102

OP: very good suggestions, thanks for taking the time. Personally I would set the ˋpress spacbar´ hint as text only. Hearing it over and over again is a bit much IMO.

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

OP: very good suggestions, thanks for taking the time. Personally I would set the ˋpress spacbar´ hint as text only. Hearing it over and over again is a bit much IMO.

:)

Yeah, the text would be sufficient. But then it should be made sure that the text stays on screen long enough so that this hint doesn't just disappear and the tutorial appears to be stuck (at least 120 seconds or until the spacebar is pressed, something like that).

In the A-10C trainings, I think it is repeated verbally whenever it applies, and it's not that annoying there. Then again, the texts are much longer, maybe it would feel different with the CE2. Anyway, whether or not it's verbally repeated is a fairly minor issue IMO.

• 3 years later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:54 PM, Freakmeister51 said:

I have found, in reference to this topic, that, when asked to prime the engine, the lesson does not continue once the operation has been completed. The priming lever remains highlighted. Have i done something wrong or this a bug?

I have encountered the same problem and in my opinion it is a bug.  Worse it is a training showstopper.  How does one move past this step and on to the rest of the training program?

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 12:57 PM, Growltyger said:

I have encountered the same problem and in my opinion it is a bug.  Worse it is a training showstopper.  How does one move past this step and on to the rest of the training program?

Same here, just watch the video from Grimreapers and then use the Instant action missions to practice. You're literally 2 steps away from completing the process.

• 9 months later...
On 5/20/2022 at 12:54 AM, Freakmeister51 said:

I have found, in reference to this topic, that, when asked to prime the engine, the lesson does not continue once the operation has been completed. The priming lever remains highlighted. Have i done something wrong or this a bug?

Still a problem as of this posting. No fix after nearly a year?

On 4/23/2023 at 1:44 PM, Livers said:

Still a problem as of this posting. No fix after nearly a year?

That's a shame really, I did a quick fix of the offending trigger and sent the mission to the developer, hopefully they can use it as is  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB